Prep-friendly Lemon-Blueberry Oat&Egg White Muffins

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Anca, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing. Thanks. :kiss:

2. PageantGirl

PageantGirl Shawna Lynn

I made mine in a full loaf and cut it into thirds. 400 degrees for 25 mins, then let it sit in the warm oven for another 20. LOOKS SOOO TASTY! Cant wait to try it tomorrow =)

I also used vanilla extract, and a lemon zest...hopefully it turns out yummo! Thanks for the recipe Anca!

Now...how bout a recipe for those zucchini muffins? ;-)

3. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

:bump:
    These are the muffin loaves I brought to Atlanta that everyone keeps asking about. :yum:

4. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

I LOVED the pumpkin ones!! Delicious and ultra filling!

5. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

the ones stated at the beginning or are you tweaking them other than doing them single loaves?

I didnt see what ya brough but wished i did :D. I made a loaf from my college boy this am.. i didnt have the lemon zest though and just used extract.

I thought about seeing how a smidge of greek yog would be in place of a few eggwhites.

6. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Yep, exact recipe as originally posted- except I bake them a little longer now (maybe 35-40 min depending how "wet" they're looking in the middle). ;) I used 50 g banana to replace the berries for some of the muffin loaves and 100 g pumpkin puree to make the pumpkin ones Patricia liked.

7. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I'd forgotten about these. I'm making some today!! :hehe:

8. gymgurl

gymgurl Member

So I made some today with the higher protein content that turned out really well.

If anyone wants it... I used:

6 egg whites
    3/4 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup oats
    cinnamon
    1/4 cup splena
    1/8 tsp baking powder

It made 6 mini-muffins and I baked them for about 15 minutes at 350. They are definitely 'eggy', but they have a much higher protein content.

Also, another question I have, in terms of storing these, since they are a large portion of baked eggs, would it last in say my lunch bag (not cooled) all day long?

And secondly, this much egg would still make it okay to freeze? And then I'm assuming I can thaw on the counter?

I'm not sure if I'd have to tread this differently than other baked muffins since the egg content is a lot higher.

9. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

This is what I love about these muffins- you can pretty much play with the macros any way you need to and something always comes out! :lol3:
    I actually posted a thread a while back with pear muffins made only with egg whites and pear! :lol: I didn't get any oats for breakfast on those days. Yep they were pretty "eggy" as you say and didn't keep as well in the freezer (were a little soggy when defrosted).
    But yours have a bit of oats in them so they should keep fine for the day in your lunch bag; and you'll just have to try freezing a serving to see how it comes out when defrosted.

10. gymgurl

gymgurl Member

Yah exactly. These are awesome for when I'm sick of meat (which is frequently :) ) That's great to know about the fridge thing... I wasn't sure since from what I think I've read you can't keep stuff like egg salad not in the fridge for very long at all.... but it'd be great if they could last 8 or so hours out.

11. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

I get less oats but more fruit, so I just tweaked mine and made my first batch! :bunny:

5 egg whites
    1 tsp coconut oil

30g oats
    80g strawberries
    8g cinnamon roll Lean Dessert Protein
    1/4 tsp ea. baking soda and baking powder

Baked in muffin tins (mini) and it made 6, they're golden brown and I can't wait to eat them for breakfast tomorrow! 6 muffins!! Holy cow batman!

So I guess these would be strawberry cinnamon ;)
    The macros I had for breakfast were 283/7.1f/25.8c/28.8p

This recipe made:
    284/ 7.9f/26.9c/26.8p

Pretty darn close! :bannana:

12. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

You can play with the macros any way you want and they still somehow manage to bake and not come out raw! :lol: Love this recipe. :thumb:

13. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

:bump: for Laura! :wink:

14. laurawd

laurawd Well-Known Member

Thanks, honey! ... Strawberries are out of season, now. :( Will have to try later.

(or maybe w/ frozen). Also, don't have lean dessert protein. Wonder if banana metabolic drive would work...

15. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

It should. ;)

You don't need to use any PP though; just egg whites+oats+fruit and Splenda, baking powder and baking soda work perfectly. :thumb:

16. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

I used to make my muffins like that prior to coming to lbf.. no PP either.. though one recipe had CC but i started eliminating that too.

17. sugarkitty

sugarkitty Member

I made these and they were amazing!! I felt like I was eating blueberry muffins!

18. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

:ditto:

These have been a lifesaver for me- I hardly ever crave baked, Starbucks-style pastries. :bunny:

19. Cathie

Cathie I have SFP :mecry:

20. katygowland

katygowland proving 'just doing it' works!

Ngh, these look great, but the sheer expense of 18 egg whites!!! No way I could make these, woe...