Prep-friendly Lemon-Blueberry Oat&Egg White Muffins

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Anca, Jun 5, 2008.

1. gymgurl

gymgurl Member

Another question on these...how long would you say they typically last after they're baked? (assuming wrapped in syran wrap).

2. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

After they cool completely, I wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze all of them except the one I'll eat the following morning. So I have no idea how long they would last unfrozen.
    Even if they did last longer, I would still freeze them though! To defrost them, I take them out of the plastic wrap; place on a paper towel/plate; microwave on full power for 1 min 45 sec. They come out as if you just baked them! :yum:

3. gymgurl

gymgurl Member

Ahh, okay, perfect. That works good then. I just wasn't sure how freezing them would be; sometimes baked goods turn sorta dry after being frozen.

4. TriciaE

TriciaE My Sweet Clipper

I usually make 3 at a time and keep them in the fridge and I think they're fine. I'm very weird/picky about cooked eggs and shelf life of foods and I ate them without a problem. If I wasn't eating them within 3 days I would freeze them as Anca suggested.

Side Note - I made a raspberry/vanilla loaf today and they were not as good as the blueberry/lemon ones. Maybe I'll try raspberry/lemon for tomorrow.

5. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Somehow lately I really dislike that "crunch" you feel when you eat raspberries or blackberries (because of the larger seeds). So I would probably hate the raspberry/vanilla combo. I wish I could find another variation but so far no luck. Maybe banana extract added and using mashed up strawberries? :scratch:

6. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

"Banana" Muffins

I got my new plan yesterday and it turns out that someone stole my berries on some of the days. :grumble: :lol:
    So I had to make some fruit-free muffins. I used the same master recipe (except I get smaller portions now) and put banana extract and maple extract (1 tsp each per muffin loaf). I also added a sprinkle of cinnamon. I didn't blend the batter and the whole oats gave the loaves a nice "chewiness" that made me miss nuts less (usually banana muffins are banana-nut muffins). If you can have nuts with this meal, I would definitely add them (walnuts go best!).
    They came out :yum: !

7. Petro

Petro Well-Known Member

I make zucchini lemon muffins alot, could you try that? really nice flavor and just the right amount of sweetness

8. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Zucchini is a fibrous veggie and those are not "free" for me right now. All I have to work with is egg whites and oats.
    But yes- I've made muffins before using zucchini. Or shredded carrots, with lots of pumpkin pie spice and walnuts on top! They taste like carrot cake! :drool:

9. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

the banana nut crunch capriella flavor drops would go great in there. I put it in my oats and booberries in the am./

sowwy you lost your booberries. :console:

10. Petro

Petro Well-Known Member

opps sorry, I forgot about your fibrous veggie issue

11. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I still get them 4 days/wk! :yippee:
    (At least for now... :uhuh: )
    So yes. Now I have to bake 2 different kinds of muffin loaves. :lol: Which is fine though because I weigh each one separately in its own bowl.

12. TriciaE

TriciaE My Sweet Clipper

Sorry you lost the blueberries, but you are so creative with this stuff I'm sure you new muffins will be great. Banana sounds wonderful.

I know what you mean about the crunch of raspberries. I didn't intend to buy raspberries, but the blueberries didn't look very good. :(
    I made a batch of raspberry/lemon since I had to use them up and they were fine, but blueberry/lemon is the favorite so far.

13. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I made some raspberry-vanilla muffins and they're pretty good! ;)
    I also came up with another way to add flavor when I can't have the berries: I put some pumpkin pie spice and rum extract. They taste a (tiny) little bit like carrot muffins!

14. PnW

PnW Waiting for my next meal...

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for this recipe Anca! I've been craving blueberry muffins like MAD the past couple of days, so methinks it was fate that I stumbled across this thread :lol:

Sorry if this is a dumb question.. :oops: but how much of the lemon rind do chop up to use in place of the lemon extract?

15. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Glad you like the muffins- I love them too! ;)
    I just eyeball the lemon rind- I would say I use about 1 tsp per muffin loaf (I mix each one in its separate little bowl to make sure the quantities are exact- and to make different ones at the same time; some with blueberries, some with raspberries, some with no berries).

• Like Like x 1
  16. PnW

PnW Waiting for my next meal...

Awesomeness. Thanks a ton! :love:

17. Ms Rox

Ms Rox Member

I've been making them with both the lemon extract and the lemon zest. I use the zest from a whole lemon for 3 loaves. Very lemony and they smell heavenly.

18. Natty23

Natty23 New Member

Oh my gosh! These are amaaaazing. Thanks for posting this recipe. Another combo, not sure if it has been recommended yet, but I did a batch with cinnamon/splenda and vanilla... so yummy!

19. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Has anyone tried this in a full-sized loaf?

20. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I think a full size loaf would bake a lot better by using your recipe tweak which adds the PP. The batter comes out less "wet" so it will bake through.
    It would be a nice change- I guess you would just have to weigh the whole thing, then slice it into however many portions went into making it.