Prep-friendly Lemon-Blueberry Oat&Egg White Muffins

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Anca, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I like to have my first meal in the car, on the way to the gym. So I had to tweak my master muffin recipe (which included PP for some of the protein) since I have to have egg whites only.
    These came out pretty good. The texture is somewhere between a muffin and a quiche (the more oats you get in your portion, the better the texture).

LEMON-BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

makes 12 muffins (3 servings of 4 muffins each for me)

18 egg whites
    120 g oats
    1 tsp lemon extract
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    9 pkts Splenda
    105 g frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 400. Mix the dry ingredients well in a bowl, then add the egg whites and mix well.
    Spray 2 6-cup muffin pans with cooking spray. Pour the batter as evenly as possible in the muffin cups (it would be easier to make sure the quantities are exact if you use 3 mini loaf pans instead of muffin pans).
    Add the bluberries on top of each muffin and press them gently so they do not sit on the top (but don't sink all the way to the bottom) (the batter is pretty thin). It turned out that I had exactly 5 blueberries for each muffin.
    Bake for 20 min.
    Voila:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

:shock: :yum:

3. Petro

Petro Well-Known Member

yum these sound great!!!!

4. martim

martim Member

will def try!!!!!! Love me some muffins!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Neely

Neely lolz

I used to make some muffins/squares just like that :drool:

6. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I'm a muffin fanatic. :hamster:
    I forgot to add that you need to but the blueberries in frozen. No need to defrost them (they will turn the whole thing blue). Or use fresh ones.
    I froze 2 servings- I'll let you know if they defrost/reheat well.
    I think next time I'll try strawberry ones with banana extract! :yum:

7. absolut_blonde

absolut_blonde Procrastinatrix

Yum! These sound great for a quick easy breakfast. The strawberry/banana is a great idea, too -- I use banana extract in my muffins and it really 'makes' them. Vanilla extract could be interesting too... maybe with some raspberries.

Now I just need to get a scale so I can figure out the measurements, LOL.

8. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I had totally forgot about raspberries! :yum: They're a berry too (I can't have any other fruit right now).

9. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Oh no! I told the Boss I ate these today and he asked me to send him the macros for the baking powder, baking soda and extract. :wigging: I'm like, "there's NO calories in this stuff, and it comes out to an infinitesimal amount per serving!" Sheesh...
    :lol3:
    Keeping my fingers crossed!

10. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

I love the lemon blueberry combo. Used to make some muffins with cottage cheese/eggwhite that had that in it.

WIll have to give yours a try.

11. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I use this stuff too. :oops: I hope it's ok b/c it seems to add bulk to my pancakes etc.

12. Inatic

I used to use that in my muffins but stopped when i didnt find much difference. There's no cals tho.

WHen i make my pancake, i whip the eggwhites first, then STIR in the oats, so the baking powder/soda isnt needed. But im just lazy, lol, one less step.

13. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

A little tip to help the blueberries not sink too far down into the batter is to dust them in vanilla (or any white rather than chocolate) protein powder.

I'm sure you can sub out some pp for egg whites (ask Erik) for better consistnancy.

Muffins are :yum:

:drool:

14. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

I want to try me some muffins too .....lets see what new plan is ...he might be lowering my berries :mecry:

15. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

:woohoo: The baking soda, baking powder and extract got the green light!
    Right now I can't make any substitutions at all (trust me- I asked!); that's why I had to try the recipe with egg whites only. I'm surprised it came out that well. Heck, it's almost and omelet with oats and berried in it, baked in a pan! :lol:

16. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Ok here goes the report on the defrosted muffins (90-120 sec on HIGH):
    :thumb:

17. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

[​IMG]

here is what they look like in loaf type pans.

B-fast is ready for tomorrow wed and sat! :yum:

18. Inatic

I havent tried this recipe YET :drool:

but another option if you like 'more' blueberries scattered through out your muffins is to get the mini blueberries. I do this with my regular breaky to 'stretch' the blueberries, other wise there'd be like 5 in my oats or pancake lol

I think Dole makes them as does our local kroger market store brand (theirs comes in a plastic pint size container)

19. rene7465

rene7465 Member

Sounds great. But I think there is math involved :lol: I would have to actually figure out what I could have.
    But they sure sound good.
    Thank you for sharing

20. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I used to get the mini organic frozen blueberries and now the exact same brand and name comes with big ones! :mad: