Post workout food? How bad is it to wait?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by kirstny, Oct 28, 2009.

1. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

Do you think it's bad to wait an hour after your workout (I'm lifting and doing cardio) before you eat? I know it's not ideal, but do you think it's necessary to absolutely avoid it?

I need to hit the grocery store today and the best time for me to do it is right after I leave the gym. I wouldn't be able to eat until after I shopped.

Input?

2. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

Are you 70 or older?

3. kirstny

Haha, no. Why?

Just wondering since I'm contest dieting and get very few cals and I'm assuming timing is really important given that?

4. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

you have had your meal on hand with you or do you need to shop for that as well?

5. kirstny

I have the stuff, but it's not really something I can carry with me to the gym. And, um, I like to actually sit and eat it (every food experience counts right now, haha).

So, it IS avoidable to miss it, but I'm just wondering if it's really THAT important...?

If it is, I'll go home and eat and THEN go out (but I'd rather not if I can just go right from gym to store).

6. Inatic

may i ask what it is your going to eat?

7. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

I'm old, and was wondering what my window was pwo. Basically what I learned is that unless you're really old, waiting an hour or three is not a big deal.

8. kirstny

Rice cakes and pp, mixed up like pudding.
    I guess I could bring it... but do you think I need to?

9. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

Ahh, just bring it with you if you're going to worry over it.

10. Inatic

errrrr, your not THAT old!

waiting an hr is not a big deal lol..but ideally eating shortly after training is recommended.

11. kirstny

I'm bringing it. I just like to SIT for meals, you know? :piggie: Haha. I'm so high maintenance!
    But, bringing it will speed things up and let me get more done too.

Thanks for indulging me ladies1
    :lol::love:

12. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

I sometimes sit in the changing cubicles to eat my PWO meal. I usually eat my meal in the changeroom as I seldom go straight home after the gym.

I have discovered that FF ice cream or ice cream sandwiches with a couple ice packs will last in my locker until after my workout. This makes me ridiculously happy. :shakeithappy:

:sad:, I know.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

Good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

:brava:

:D

15. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I like to 'savor' my meals too (and PWO is one of my faves of the day). I cook my PP like a thick pancake the night before and once it cools completely I put it in a ziplock baggie. I eat that plus rice cakes or whatever PWO carbs in the locker room after I work out. I'm lucky that our gym has a couch, armchair, flat-screen tv and magazines in the locker room. There are tables next to the juice bar too.

16. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

That sounds like one high-falutin' gym you belong to. :lol:

17. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I don't always eat my PWO meal right after I train, and I don't worry about it.

18. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I usually eat my PWO right after workout and is also one of my most favorite meals, after breakfast.

I do every now and again, decide to go home first, or do something else first and eat it after. I usually decide based on when I ate last before. Sometimes I eat almost right before workout and sometimes it has been a while. And I start stressing out if it is longer than 4 hrs, especially after a workout.

I think if it is every now and again, I wouldnt worry about it. But I understand wanted to feel like you actually had that meal, when you are cutting for a show like that. Each meal is a joy to be cherished! ;)

19. Inatic

it's not a big deal once in a while like stated but keep in mind, while dieting down AND low cals, done often, cant help recovery.
    (it's the often thought im going with here for any else thinking i do this all the time)

20. Laksmi

Laksmi New Member

I'm loving this image of a woman working out really hard and then sitting in a locker room eating ice cream where there are other women looking on...confused.