Planks and core abdominal work

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by schultzn, Dec 7, 2010.

1. schultzn

schultzn Member

Hello all -- just wondering how many of you continued doing abdominal work - plank, side plank, bird dog, etc during pregnancy? I'm 5 months along and finding it harder to do regular plank as my tummy feels strange.

Thoughts?

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Congratulations. :) :baby:

unfortunately during my 5 pregnancies (last almost 12yrs ago) i hadnt a clue what fitness was...

3. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

:laugh:

Congratulations!

I did some core work through my pregnancies, but stopped direct ab/core work in the 3rd trimester.

I remember some recommendations about not during exercises lying on your back after a certain point in the pregnancy.

Have you asked your health care professional?

If you are doing other activities/llifting, you will be using your core muscles functionally then.

4. schultzn

schultzn Member

I have to talk to my MD again. I asked her about in at the very beginning of my pregnancy, but now that my tummy is expanding, it feels different when performing the exercise.

She also forgets how active I am and tends to give my the textbook answers, which for me don't necessarily apply -- ie, not to elevate my HR above 140. After talking further with her about this, we decided I could safely increase as long as I was tolerating activity and not overheating/overdoing.

5. pejay900

pejay900 New Member

check out this website http://www.maternalfitness.com/ she goes over what happens to your tummy when pg, etc and what exercises to do during pg and after. I did the ones after but I did not do the ones during the pregnancy.

6. Chris_78

Chris_78 New Member

Not an expert on this...

But, per the NSCA text...you should not do any back-lying abdominal work after the first trimester and any type of "core" work should be done more in a side-lying type of position.

Although, I think it is alright to perform like Kegel exercises while lying on the back since they are more of a pelvic floor exercise and may be helpful with childbirth, anyway.