Ovulation

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by NCfitnessgirl, May 30, 2006.

1. NCfitnessgirl

NCfitnessgirl College Student...again

How many days before and after ovulation is the most fertile period?

2. Tina

Tina Well-Known Member

I think it's 2-3 days before, and one day after.

3. NCfitnessgirl

NCfitnessgirl College Student...again

I was thinking 3 and 3, but either way, I suck at this natural planning. :lol: This weekend, hubby asked how much longer till we have to stop. I said at least a week. Oops!! I think I ovulated on Friday. So, guess we'll see what happens in 2 more weeks. :innocent:

4. Carrie

Carrie My 3 babies!!!

Yep, I think it's 2-3 before and one after. Fingers crossed for you NCFitnessgirl!! :hi: It's a long 2 weeks to wait isn't it...lol

5. fitnesschick

fitnesschick Member

well ... if you are charting your cervical mucus ... you are fertile from the time your cervical mucus shows up after your period (after your period you will have dry days with no mucus but it is possible to have no dry days either) until the fourth day after your cervical mucus peak :) which means you have to pay attention. fertile days depend on your own cycle and can be anywhere from 6-12 days. did you know that if conditions are right, sperm can live in your body from 3-5 days?! an egg needs to be fertilized within 12-24 hours so you would have 1 day after ovulation and even 5 days before depending how long the sperms live :)

6. clsupnorth

clsupnorth 'Kooky' Vegetarian

This is my 47th consecutive cycle of charting.... almost 4 years straight. Of keeping track of every bit of mucus, cervical size/shape/height, pain, twinge, ovulation predictor test, you name it. My failure at getting pregnant is by no means due to a lack of knowledge of fertile/infertile times.... :dry:

Alot of women don't have mucus production, or minimal, or it varies per month, or it will come and go even within the fertile window - so I've found that relying on cervical mucus as an indicator is only reliable if you've been keeping track of it for multiple cycles, and you know your pattern. Even then, it's iffy. You can be fertile and be totally dry.

Generally speaking, sperm lives 3-5 days, but the occasional woman has the perfect pH, hospitable environment, and copious amounts of cervical mucus that sperm can live 7+ days....

Ovulation predictor tests are great as they pinpoint ovulation much better. A positive means that you will ovulate within 24-48 hours. Like anything, it is best used in conjunction with other methods.

More and more evidence is showing that post-ovulation, the window for fertilization is pretty much closed after 12 hours. The egg may live up to 24, but it's 'ability' to accept sperm doesn't last long. The most effective route is to make sure there is sperm there waiting for it to pop out.

And if you are trying to avoid pregnancy, you need to consider a much wider berth around ovulation. Because by the time you 'notice' cervical mucus, there may have already been a couple days of fertile mucus that didn't come out. A positive ovulation test would be too late since sperm might already be in there. 7-10 days pre-ovulation would be best to avoid sex, along with 24 hours after.

How do you think you may have ovulated?

If your cycles are regular and average (28 days) then you can assume ovulation occurred 12-16 days before the start of your next period. Make sure you don't count 14 days from Day 1 - as a woman with a 40 day cycle will ovulate on something like day 24.

7. MicheleSC

MicheleSC Currently doing nothing

I agree about a couple days before and maybe one day after - my cycles were longer and have previously not always been the same number of days - I didn't know exactly how long because I didn't chart for a long time, but I would get my period every other month or every two months, and because of that when I did start charting I would pay close attention to when my cervical mucous changed. If it was anything close to stretchy egg-whitish I just made sure we jumped on it every day until my temp went up. When I actually charted I didn't ovulate until day 25 and I kept thinking the next month it could be shorter/longer.

I hope it's going well for you.....

8. 3sweeties

3sweeties Well-Known Member

Charting your temperature along with checking your cervical mucus is a good way to pinpoint ovulation. I never had a regular cycle so charting help me know when I was fertile and also when my period would start.

9. kattpl

kattpl New Member

You should check out www.mymonthlycycles.com they have charts to help chart and predict your periods and ovulation...I have been using them for a few months and find it to be very helpful ....

KAth

10. clsupnorth

11. paramedic

paramedic Africa bound....

:lol: My husband is tired of trying as well. The first couple days he is all for it but than it becomes a job. I told him I'll remember this when I am too uncomfortable to have sex later on. :lol:

We have been trying since April, I know that isn't long but I have been off BC since Aug. My only problem is I haven't had a period yet. I know I will ovulate before I have one so we just keep trying. To help out I have taken 10 days of Provera. Tonight being my last.

12. paramedic

paramedic Africa bound....

Do you happen to know if or when you ovulate on Provera? I can't find the answer so we have been trying every day. My breasts have been so sore for the last 8 days??????

13. clsupnorth

Sorry paramedic, but trying since August still isn't a long time - not in my books, anyways! :dry: We've been trying for 6 years.... you can call me an expert in fertility charting. Just not in conceiving. :(

The best bet for you since you haven't had a period yet whereby you could start calculating ovulation, is to get some ovulation predictor tests. They will help you pinpoint if you are about to ovulate. Since your cycle is still regulating itself, you may not get any of the other ovulation signs such as cervical mucus, or cervix position/shape. But since OPT's are expensive, you may not want to do that. <as an aside - i get mine on ebay in like a pack of 50 for $20 - same with the pregnancy tests. That way I can pee on a stick everyday and not go broke>

On the other hand, any chance you might already be pregnant and not know it? Have you tested?

14. dare

dare I'm not fat...I'm pregnant!

Does anyone have a simple "formula" that will roughly give you the best days you ovulate? (ie. counting so many days back from your period etc..) I have been reading so much about this and well, I'm just plain confused! I just don't understand how to calculate my ovulation days. :confused: I'd like to half-assed figure it out before I have to go buy an ovulation test.

thanks.

15. Tina

Tina Well-Known Member

I think you can count 14 days back from when you should start your next period. But my advice is that if you're just starting to try, just have fun for now :)

clsupnorth, I'm sorry to hear you've been trying for 6 years. wow.
    See, sometimes you can do all the right things and still not get pregnant.

16. MicheleSC

If you have a 28 day cycle, ovulation is usually 12-14 days after the first day of your period. That's if you have 28 days between periods. I have 40 days between periods and ovulate on day 25-26. The only way to know for sure is to take note of your cycles and temps. Even if you have a 28 day cycle, you could still ovulate before day 12 or after day 14...

Ovulation kits can tell you when you are about to ovulate, but from what I understand you can have a surge that would indicate that ovulation is coming, but you can be stressed out about something and not ovulate.

Have you been taking your temperature and charting?

17. clsupnorth

Yes. A woman's luteal phase (the period of time between ovulation and the onset of menstruation) is almost ALWAYS between 12-16 days. Count the days after ovulation as 'dpo' (days post ovulation). This means with a luteal phase of 14 days, you would get your period after 14 dpo, technically on 15 dpo. Make sense? No - ok, I'll elaborate.

Even though a luteal phase averages 12-16 days between women, it is almost always the same # of days per woman. My luteal phase is reliably 15 days. If my cycle fluctuates, or is longer one month or shorter another, it is because the period BEFORE ovulation has changed in length - but the luteal phase remains constant. This is why if your cycles are not regular, counting 14 days in from the beginning is useless - you will be ovulating differently each month.

Counting 12-14 days from the *start* of your period is not a reliable indicator unless your cycles are 28 days, like Michele pointed out. And since many, many women don't have 28 day cycles, counting that way does not work for them.

So...using the luteal phase info, you count backwards from the start of your period to pinpoint when you ovulated. Let's say a woman who has a 28 day cycle can estimate a luteal phase of 14 days. This means she probably ovulated on day 14 of her cycle. (28-14 dpo= day 14 of total cycle). If she is not sure at this point if her luteal phase is 14 days exactly (it could be 12-16), she should give a buffer zone of 2 days on either side. So ovulation could 'possibly' have happened anywhere between day 12- day 16 of her cycle.

Let's say her cycles are 40 days. (40-14 dpo= day 26 of total cycle). In this case, with the buffer zone, she should estimate ovulation occurred between day 24 and 28 of her total cycle.

If you have irregular cycles, then counting days will not work for you. You would need to rely on other symptoms or tests.

Once you have a rough gauge of the day each month you probably ovulate (using dpo's as the counting method) then you can pinpoint with accuracy using ovulation predictor tests, starting 5 days before you expect ovulation. This will pinpoint it to within 12-24 hours.

Some women who are having fertility issues discover that their luteal phase is less than 12 days. Anything less than 12 days means you are unlikely to get pregnant. The luteal phase is that time period when the corpus luteum is producing progesterone temporarily until a 'supposed' fertilized egg implants and starts producing its own. If the corpus luteum starts to break down too early, there isn't enough progesterone to sustain an implanted egg before it starts producing it's own, and the implantation fails. This problem will ONLY be discovered if you are tracking your cycles and know your own body.

*** end note ***
    I have been to many doctors - and I have found that the majority of them have no idea what a luteal phase even is. Or when progesterone is highest in a cycle, when luteinizing hormone or FSH is released - important stuff like that. Once I found myself explaining to my doctor how the female hormonal cycle worked. This is why you cannot rely on someone telling you that you simply ovulate on day 14. They say that because they assume women have 28 day cycles and 90% of the time they don't know anything else.

Know your own body.

18. theresak

theresak Guest

I can't help on the original question - but it seems to be fully covered anyway. I just wanna say I'll be keeping the good thoughts for those trying - hope the news is good soon!!

19. dare

dare I'm not fat...I'm pregnant!

Thanks Clsupnorth! Wow, that's a lot of good info!! I'm still a little confused though, as I used 2 online ovulation calculators (I know, probably not the best choice! haha But I wanted to see what they said, for fun). According to those, I am to ovulate anywhere from the 26th to the 2nd of the month. Now, according to your 'formula', I believe my ovulation days would put me from the 16th-20th. (My cycles are averaged at 32 days......32-14=18. Right?) Now, according to that....I ovulate just as my period is ending. Can that be?

20. MicheleSC

I'm sure clsupnorth will have more to add, but this is why you have to track your cycles first and can't really use a general formula - your luteal phase could be longer than 14 days - I think max is usually 16-18 days, but I'm not positive. I don't know how you could be ovulating that soon after your period if your cycles are 32 days unless your periods are very long. If you track your cycles for a time period and can figure out how long your luteal phase is, then you can make a formula from that to predict ovulation days without continuing to track every month.