Only refeed when on low-carb?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by soontobefit, Sep 15, 2006.

1. soontobefit

soontobefit Senior Member

I tend to thrive on a high-carb/low-fat diet. I have read the philosophy of the refeed, and am wondering if this would not apply to me....
    I still think I would benefit from a "cheat" meal/day though, so should I just try and have one every week or so?

2. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

Why do you think that you'd benefit from a cheat day if you're already getting lots of carbs in your diet?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Erik

Erik Admin

1. Why would you benefit from a cheat meal? Beyond the obvious psychological benefit?

2. Refeeds aren't just about low carb dieting. Yes, you 'carb up' from a refeed, but that's not the primary purpose it. The regulatory hormones fall with low cal dieting and lowered bodyfat. This is still going to be an issue on a higher carb/lower fat diet. The refeeding is still important. Metabolic rate and the regulatory hormones still fall.

4. soontobefit

I miss the fat :) Basically, just for the psychological benefits

5. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

I read her post as saying that the low-fat/high-carb diet was one she follows most of the time, not that she was really "dieting" on it. (Else why use the word "thrive"?)

But yeah, you bring up a good point.

Soontobefit, you need to give us a little more info. :)

6. soontobefit

Nothing beyond the psychological benefit! :)

Right now I am consuming 1933 cals, 208 protein, 215 carbs and 30 fat. My weight is 160. So, how often should I refeed/cheat? Additionally, should I alternate between a refeed and a cheat? (i.e. one week get the physiological benefits, the other get the psychological benefits?)
    Thanks for the help, sorry if this question seems dumb.

7. soontobefit

Well I am considering "dieting" the word when you are trying to lose bodyweight/fat, so then, yes I am dieting :) Does my other post give enough info, or do you need more?

8. Erik

Erik Admin

I know you like the higher carb/lower fat intake, but your fat intake is TOO low. As for cheats and refeeds, they can be done weekly. How is your rate of fat loss? Are you progressing without the refeeds? I'd start with one cheat and a 5-6 hour refeed, spread apart.

9. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

Are you actually losing weight on this plan? If so, at what rate?

10. soontobefit

Since July, I have lost 12 pounds and 8% bodyfat...I thought that was pretty good. I also take Udo's oil, though I'm not sure that really ups my fat. How much higher do you suggest I go with my fat intake? As a side note, I have also tried higher fat, lower carb (keeping protein constant) and was pretty lethargic and had no results. Carb cycling didn't work when I tried it, as I felt like I would pass out on the low days...

11. Erik

Erik Admin

I'd up it to somewhere around 20% of your total intake (not because I put any stock in macro percentages) but simply because I think 13% of total calories is simply too low.

12. soontobefit

And this would be while maintaing carbs and protein as already mentioned? i.e. therefore increasing my overall cals?

13. Erik

Erik Admin

No, you'd drop something. I don't see why you'd need so much protein.

14. soontobefit

Ok, cool. I will give it a try. Thanks Thunder! You are Grrrrreat! :D

15. NCfitnessgirl

NCfitnessgirl College Student...again

Should refeeds be time-limit based or carb quantity based? In other words, should you plan a 4-hour refeed and however many carbs you eat is fine? Or should you plan for, say, a 200g carb refeed?

Also, should you include protein like normal or not?

16. Erik

Erik Admin

Quantity is what's of primary importance.

Yes.

I usually just say keep the meals constant, (ie planned protein intake), drop any added fat, and eat carbs.

17. NCfitnessgirl

NCfitnessgirl College Student...again

Thanks! I think I am way overdue for one.

18. Ecala

Ecala Banned

This is a great thread.

And the timing is perfect.

Erik, if you don't mind-- what do you think of me taking a half-day refeed-- based on my averages for the last month of 1899 cals, 65 fat, 177 carbs, 155 protein.

I have lost a bit of weight on those macros.

I am 5'4, 120 lbs. Down from 123 about a month ago.

Would a half day refeed benefit me? I've never done it before so naturally I'm a bit nervous.

Thanks for any help!

eta: I do 1 day of HIIT, at least 1 day of SS cardio (but no more than 3) and 4-5 days of lifting a week. 6 days a week doing something.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  19. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

Im not Erik, but I would say yes, indeed.

20. Ecala

Ecala Banned

Cool. That's good to hear cause I'm in the midst of one as we speak :shhh: 2 bagels and bowl o'oatmeal later.... Thanks for your feedback. :)

• Like Like x 1