Oatmeal/pp & oatmeal/egg white recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Blondie03, Feb 23, 2008.

1. enbergland

enbergland New Member

Amy1984, I am going to try your recipe today. Can't wait!!

2. Emma

Emma Member

I've mentioned it elsewhere but not on this thread, soak your oats over night, seriously, give it a go if you want great texture and mad volume.

For breakfast I either have oat/EW and fruit muffins or pancakes. If I'm making muffins I cook them them the night before and heat them up at work, pancakes are a weekend thing and I make them fresh. I use silicon cupcake moulds and I get 10, for the pancakes I usually get 10-12, depending on how big I've poured them.

This is my base mixture, it's enough for 7 days (based on my plan)

280 grams oats
    1 tsp xanatham gum
    1tsp baking powder
    1.5 tsp mixed spice
    Big pinch salt
    I don't add stevia here as I use the flavoured drops when I mix each batch, but if you don't then add stevia as per your preference.

Grind all this to a flour in a food processor.

Weigh final mixture and divide into 7 zip lock bags.

I make a small bowl of chai tea, let it cool, add the oats and leave in the fridge over night (for weekend meals) or all day (during the week when I prep at night)

I find this adds a nice soft texture to the muffins and pancakes and really blows the volume right up.

I have been toying with the idea of topping my apple muffins with a cinnamon "sugar" made from granulated stevia and cinnamon but I've not tried it yet, it would probably work with stevia and lemon zest too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. GreekGirl

GreekGirl Member

Thanks for Bump Ileen, just seen the thread. I can't believe I will be eating 50 grams of oats! This will be the biggest breakfast in my whole life :) lol

4. GreekGirl

GreekGirl Member

Hi Emma - don't you add any egg whites?

5. Emma

Emma Member

I do, I mix the oat mixture into my allocation of EW, 150gm whites and 1 whole egg for me at the moment.

I whip the whites with a whisk for about 60 seconds, this adds to the volume as well

6. GreekGirl

GreekGirl Member

Thanks Emma! I was asking Ileen about muffin recipes. I have 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites. I will add them to the mixture.

From next week I will have days that I start work at 6.00 am and want to take something with me to work to eat.

I will give these a try tomorrow

7. GreekGirl

GreekGirl Member

Forgot to ask, have you tried freezing them so I can make a big batch?

8. Emma

Emma Member

I haven't tried freezing them but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

9. GreekGirl

GreekGirl Member

I had a disaster with the egg muffins Emma!

I soaked 50 grams of oats (my allowance) with a bit of water overnight. I whipped and added 1 egg and 3 EW to the oats. The mixture was so runny! I added about 4 grams of xantha gum with the hope it will thicken but it didn't. Decided to cook them anyway (and eat them anyway!). I cooked them at 450 for 25 minutes. They looked all big (4 of them!), brown and lovely when I took them out of the oven. I h

They all got stuck in the paper muffins and there was a big hole in them and not cooked at all inside! Oh dear I know I am useless with baking but will give it a go tomorrow again. I think 1 egg + 3 EW makes it too runny but any feedback will be appreciated!

10. Emma

Emma Member

Yikes!

My egg allocation is 150gm liquid egg whites (equivalent to 5 egg whites) and 1 whole egg. My mixture is pretty runny too (like pouring custard is the best analogy I can think of) but they firm up well in the oven. I can only imagine that it is because you made big muffins. Mine are quite small, I use silicon cupcake molds (so about the size of a small cupcake I suppose), I get 10 from my allowance. I bake at 200 degrees celsius for 30 minutes

Don't use paper patty pans as they will stick.

So

Use smaller patty pans
    Use the silicon ones, not paper
    Bake at 200 C for 30 minutes
    The amount you get will vary from how many I get as our allocations for the raw ingredients are different

They will be very moist, but they are firm.

I hope they work out better for you next time.

11. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

thanks for your help Emma :)

12. missashleighjo

missashleighjo Member

I need to try this. i tried soaking my oats Tuesday night for my pancakes yesterday. They were runny and didn't taste very good. i think I may have overdone it with the egg/ew's too. I get 3 ew's and 2 eggs. I need to retry this and maybe try whipping the egg whites.

13. Emma

Emma Member

Give the whites a good whip, not as hard as you'd do for meringue but aim to triple the volume, should only take a minute or so, we have strong arms here at LBC.

I forgot to mention I also add about 6gms of psyllium husks (negligible calories & no taste), just to boost the fibre in my diet, I add this at the end, I don't soak it.

14. GreekGirl

GreekGirl Member

Ok! Attempt number two is in the oven. I thought I remembered your instructions I read earlier but I didn't remember you said to whisk the eggs for a while!!! Anyway they are in the oven but won't try them tonight because I am making for the morning. First day at work tomorrow!!! I will eat them no matter what they look or taste like!! lol

Will let you know how it went. Thanks for your input and help xx

15. missashleighjo

missashleighjo Member

So you grind all that together, soak it, then add EW's in the morning? Do you mix them in a blender or by hand when you add the EW's?

16. Emma

Emma Member

I use a good old fashioned balloon whisk, put some elbow grease into it for about 60 seconds, just fluff them up a bit. Then stir through the oats and the yolk if you had a whole egg on your plan too.

17. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Thanks! Soakin tonight so I can make these bad boys tomorrow :)