New to site

Discussion in 'Board Issues and Announcements' started by traumarn1, Oct 24, 2014.

1. traumarn1

traumarn1 New Member

Hi All,
    I am brand new to the site as well as a forum really. I am 47, mom of 3, metabolic disaster. I hired my first trainer ever in Jan 2012, we had success changing my body. He gave me a love for the gym and fitness.....however, his nutrition tactics were less than optimal. It has been endless reading that has helped me understand where and how things can be different. I am currently on the LBC wait list. I do not compete but I lift and love it. I have some work to do on my metabolism and am working my way to 3000 calories which is my maintenance while I wait. I spent a YEAR at 1200-1500 in 2012. I am looking to LEARN. I like to ask questions to understand. If I have learned anything in the last 3 years is to ask questions. Biggest question right now, is how on earth people get in 3000 calories. I am st 2300-2400/day now and I am challenged at how I will get another 700 in. Second biggest question is around ideas for carb vs fat breakdown. If there are good threads that would point my in the right direction PLEASE let me know. I feel like I am in the ocean in a tiny little boat.

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

3. traumarn1

traumarn1 New Member

Thanks Ilene....I just read. And it is helpful. White knuckling maintenance calories as 3000 is counterintuitive for everything I have ever done(my whole life). I appreciate the response and will work my hardest to get to where I need to be. Is there ever a limit for calorie intake to weight values? Example, I am in the medical field...many of our meds are weight based. In the case of the patient who is very overweight, there will often be limits as the dose hits max because ultimately you are essentially medicating adipose tissue. Is there ever a limit here? Just curious.

4. Inatic

can you give me more information?
    what is your height and body wt?

5. traumarn1

traumarn1 New Member

yep, i am 5'5" weight between 210-212. Which is essentially where I started in early 2012 When I hired my first trainer. I got down to 174 with 3 resistance days and 20min cardio 6days/week. in 2013 hired different trainer who recognized the issue with a year at 1200-1500 calories(they based everything on "lean weight" not total weight) needless to say from March 2013 till now all the weight has crept back on. My current trainer had me with a mix of metabolic and lifting but he knows zero about nutrition. I just gained. Haven't lost an inch of body mass or a lb in since March 2013. I am everything I read you guys write about.
    I have not done cardio or circuit work in 11weeks(started d/t an injury but after I went on the waiting list for LBC 2 weeks ago, I told him weights only. I have been working my calories up since July. I started at 1600 then. Today I am at 2200-2500. I am really proud of that. It is terrifying and really, given the past 2yrs it is mentally the most difficult thing I have ever done signing up to put on more lbs. The science and concept make perfect sense. It all makes sense. It is just a mind f*.
    All this being said, here is my concern. I am the healthy one in my family. I have a family full of people who die from cardiac disease in their 40's. Have type II diabetes and I have done everything in my power to not join that club. To add more weight on this frame is not just terrifying from the body image stand point but from the health stand point. My question around maxing out calories comes from a stature/weight place and trying to assure that 3000 calories is truly realistic. I would like to be doing some positive work while I wait. Your input is valued and appreciated. Also, if there is an LBC article that speaks to no cardio and overall heart/cardiovascular health I would love to read it. Thank you so very much!

6. Inatic

Congrats on increasing your calories up.. from 1600 (at 210-210?) is quite low.

Re cardio, why dont take walks or ride bike for recreation without thought to burning cals. Basically just keep moving.

The calorie range would depend on your metabolism, hormones and body weight. At my usual wt of about 130 I cant get much above 2000-2200 max without 'bulking'.

If you are wanting to continue to increase, find calorically dense food so the volume is as low as you can get it. Carbs/fats are you're choice. The article gave some direction.

7. traumarn1

traumarn1 New Member

thank you! Yea, that 1600 calorie intake is responsible for nothing good. I just hope that my metabolism and body respond well after some time at a higher intake. Thank you again.