Momentous News Concerning My Mom

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by smuggie, Jun 23, 2009.

1. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

It's beyond sad. It's absolutely heartbreaking. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

:hug:

The place she'd like to go/consider would too.

3. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Thank you kindly. [​IMG]

5. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

Mo -

I'm sorry to hear the sad news. No doubt it'll be very tough for you both, and yes, I know that is an understatement. I'll be thinking of you. :hug: :love:

I would think it is a relief to you to finally know what is going on and the reason why. Doesn't make dealing with it any easier though.

6. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Thank you. :love:

7. trinitylove

trinitylove Buff in spirit

wow. that's a lot to deal with
    :console:
    i'm so sorry. do you have any siblings to help out?

• Like Like x 1
  8. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Thank you. [​IMG]

Nope, there's only me.

9. Jonathan57

Jonathan57 Active Member

Sorry this is later than I had hoped, but in the middle of my last post here yesterday, we had a power outage - for nine hours. Reminiscent of the ice storm. 12 floors up. No elevator, and the backup emergency lighting failed!
    [​IMG]
    Anyway - when I regained consciousness [​IMG] - I'lll try to rewrite it as closely as I can remember. (I lost some of the humour in the interim- but not all.)

Hey smuggles. [​IMG] I'm so sorry to hear about this. I know how difficult it can be.

I've been through this too. Its especially difficult when they half-understand, and know what is happening but do not want to go. But you are doing the right thing. The most important and difficult thing is to visit them. Not for them, but for yourself. For me, it was important to know that I did everything I could.

Now, I had intended to write all this in french (en francais), until I realized the sum total I remembered from my french. "Bonjour. Je m'apple [​IMG] Jonathan. Qui est-ce? C'est mon ami. Il s'apple [​IMG] Paul. Present nous, veux-tu. Je voudrais de presente Paul Martin. " Thats about it, other than the traditional ??zute?? merde and few other classics from Rimouski. :lol:

[​IMG]

Thinking of you. As usual.
    signed.
    Cornball.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
    • Like Like x 2
  10. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I know I'm doing the right thing--for both of us. Since I can't give her the 24/7 care she needs I'll have peace of mind, and she'll get good care and be safe.

Thanks for making me laugh, ya big cornball. [​IMG]

11. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Shedding the pig fat.

Mo, my heart, prayers and thoughts go out to you. :hug: Be strong.

:lub:

• Like Like x 1
  12. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I phoned the social worker this morning to ask her what the procedure is for having my mom's drivers license revoked. At the same time she told me she was going to break the news to my mom that she wouldn't be able to live at home anymore later that morning.

When I got to the hospital around lunch time my mom asked me who the lady was who told her I was making a change in regards to her. I told her it must have been the social worker, and when she asked me why I had called in a social worker (I hadn't, but that's what my mom thought.) I told her it was to make arrangements for her care once she was released from the hospital.

She then asked me where *we* would be living, and I told her I would still be living in the house, but she would be going somewhere else to live. Much to my shock my mom didn't throw a fit, but said she just hoped she wouldn't be living too far from where the house is. That came as a pleasant surprise and is one less bit of stress I have to deal with right now.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  13. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Thank you. [​IMG]

14. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

That's great, Maureen! I'm sure any pleasant surprises (especially in the form of reduced stresses) are quite welcome right now. :hug:

And so nice to know that she doesn't seem too worried, at the idea of not going back to the house.

15. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

All stress reduction is welcome right now, whether it comes from training, meditating, or pleasant surprises.

16. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

My mother just phoned me from the hospital. She wanted to know when I'm going to pick her up and bring her home. I had to explain to her she's not going to be living at home anymore, because she needs care 24/7, and I can't give her that. Of course, she started arguing with me and telling me I'm the one with the problem, not her, and so on.

So much for her taking the news well. :sadface:

17. Inatic

maybe they should have had a hospital councelor and you sit down with her?

18. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

It would do no good. She'd forget five minutes later anyway.

19. Inatic

In her case yes, but at least you would have gotten some support :)

20. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

That is something to ponder. I would have preferred being present when breaking the news to my mom, but I guess the social worker has a schedule to follow.