Meal Spacing

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Blondell, May 10, 2006.

1. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

Personally, I like to eat a lot. I'm up to 7 meals a day. Since I'm trying to eat above maintenance, its more helpful to break it up into lots of different meals....

T - there's an article somewhere comparing changes in LBM in a hypocaloric diet looking at a larger breakfast meal compared to a larger evening meal....one was better at fat loss the other better at muscle retention....does this sound familiar?

• Like Like x 1
  2. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

I have always thought that 3 is the minimum and after that it is up to individual preferences in terms of the breakdown. Personally, I prefer to be kinda hungry and then satisfied several times a day then feel starving and stuffed a couple of times. I don't do well with hunger.

3. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

It varies day to day w/ me.

4. Blondell

Does the same principle apply w/ eating breakfast? Is it okay if I go a couple of hours before eating after waking up?

5. Erik

Erik Admin

Why would you do that? You've already been a good 8 hours with no food.

That's very unwise in my opinion.

6. Phoeff

Phoeff Member

After reading this I need a primer on how my body uses food as fuel. Any stickies might cover this?

I've always thought that if you eat too many calories in one sitting your body stores the rest and you should eat to fuel yourself until the next meal (don't laugh.) Or, in a caloric deficit, I'd be dipping into my fat stores (hopefully.)Does it store as fat? Glycogen? Where?

I suppose if I ate more, went a little longer between meals, I'd be burning more for that extra time, so it wouldn't be stored or would be dipping more into the fat burning process. This isn't metabolic?

Ugh. I'll stop now, I feel like I'm not making sense.

7. Blondell

Today I decided to do a test run and really listen to my hunger signals to answer the above question. I get hunger signals about every 2 hours. I planned my meals accordingly and have dealt w/ little to no hunger today. Thank you for asking and bringing it to my attetion. I am now able to space my meals in a way that suits me. Again Thanx a million!!! :clap:

8. KatieB

KatieB Fake It Until You Make It

*bump*

NM on the other thread lol.

9. KatieB

KatieB Fake It Until You Make It

BTW, on the breakfast thing -- from what I have been able to find, there is no scientific "reason" per se to eat breakfast immediately or soon after waking. As far as I can see, the only connections between body composition and breakfast have been observational in nature, which really only tells us that fat people tend to have crappy eating habits (ie, skipping a meal in this case), not that one must eat breakfast in order to be healthy...

I am also super lost on why I am in trouble after being asleep and not having protein since the night before... is this really all that important, or is it primarily important for leaner individuals? (That makes more sense to me as they would have less available fuel in the form of bodyfat if they don't eat...)

10. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

mainly

plus a whole heap of other cells

11. sunny

sunny Member

Thunder and Strongchick: Thank you very much! :)