Meal Spacing

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Blondell, May 10, 2006.

1. AgKitty

AgKitty Wherever, whenever

:lol: Always good to know I'm normal.

2. janey

janey Umm...

There is a debate going on on O2 about this very topic.

I *heart* strongchick. :love:

3. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Strongchick Rocks!! :lol:

Great debate!

4. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

Well, since T-man's gone, someone has to debate some science....

5. Erik

Erik Admin

That thread is dumb.

6. Robben

Robben Well-Known Member

The number one reason for people to spread out their meals and eat 5 to 7 times a day is simply to keep the metabolic master/leptin switch on.

As we have been told before by Thunder, as one becomes leaner it becomes harder to keep the fat loss going. As fat levels decrease, so do your leptin levels, which in turn stimulate intense hunger, and slows your metabolism, slows muscle growth, and speeds muscle breakdown. We also know on the flip side of the coin, a lack of food intake (either long periods with no food or with very small doses of food) will suppress your circulating insulin levels, thus suppressing leptin production..

Now for me, eating 6 to 7 meals per day is not about a diet thing as it is more about changing my eating habits, changing my way of thinking and doing what is best for meeting the needs of my body. As we all know, diets come and diets go; eating 6 to 7 meals a day has to become part of one's lifestyle...

It comes down to this: Keep the leptin levels balanced and you'll win the game of fat loss... :love:

7. Erik

Erik Admin

Unfortunately Robben, leptin does not respond to meal frequency.

8. Robben

Robben Well-Known Member

T, it has been shown that every time you eat your leptin levels increase by as much as 40 percent. As we both know, insulin is the mechanism that stimulates leptin production. And this is how I connect the dots..

9. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

Yup. She gave up anyway.

10. Erik

Erik Admin

While insulin does play 'a role' in leptin physiology, the two most important factors related to leptin levels are bodyfat levels, (size and number of cells) and energy balance.

Everything else is trumped by these two factors.

It doesn't matter if you're getting insulin responses during the day from meal frequency, if you're in a negative energy balance/eating under maintenance.

The insulin effects on elevating leptin levels are more related to the condition that the person also be in a positive energy balance/eating over maintenance.

11. lilbear

lilbear Member

Where in the body is leptin produced?

12. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

Ok, so facetious question.

If I eat one MEGA MEAL of my prescribed calories per day (not including my PWO meal), would that have the same effect on my physique as eating every 2-3 hours?

This is what this thread is saying without actually saying it, but somehow.. that seems doubtful.

T, any input? In plain English?

13. Erik

Erik Admin

I don't think so no.

And I still prefer meal frequency, although 4 meals is probably just as good as 6.

One meal? I don't agree with that.

14. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

Just a theory question. Thanks for your answer.

I could never eat one meal a day. Perish the thought!!!

15. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

So what is optimal? Is it individual to the person and their habits or is there an optimal meal frequency?

16. Erik

Erik Admin

I don't believe there is an optimal frequency. There are health benefits to meal frequency; it's just that metabolism isn't one of them.

The big determining factor from a fat loss standpoint will be the hunger issues related to how often or how not often one's eating.

17. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

So what would you recommend based on the individual?

18. Erik

Erik Admin

I really see no disadvantage to the old tried and true 5-6 meals a day. It's not like there are any draw backs to it.

The only one would be if someone was just so exceptionally busy that they didn't have time to eat with that kind of frequency.

19. Mandy

Mandy Hulkamania is runnin' wild

I would love to eat every 5 minutes. One green bean every 5 minutes, half an ounce of chicken the next. Oh that's my dream. That would require me never leaving the house though and I think I'd be doing a mass amount of SS cardio walking from my room to the fridge to the microwave every so often. I could stockpile 30 minutes of food.

Actually, I'm still trying to figure out how to time my meals out whether it's from the beginning or at the end. Sometimes I graze over my meal for 30 minutes or more depending on what it is or how much I don't feel like eating it.

20. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

Fat cells.