Meal Spacing

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Blondell, May 10, 2006.

1. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I have 2 questions.

1.What is the longest amount of time you should go between meals?

2. What is the optimal time to space your meals at?

2. Erik

Erik Admin

What does your hunger tell you?

Total end of day calories are more important than meal frequency, at least in terms of overall progress. The issues with meal frequency relate more to appetite control than anything, because if you go too long b/w meals most people have a tendency to raid the fridge.

I eat every 2-3 hours because I'm used to eating on that frequency schedule. I can't go much longer than that.

3. Blondell

:lol: My hunger tells me to eat all day.

I have thought all this time that meal spacing had something to do w/ muscle loss. :huh: So I can go 4-1/2 hrs b/t meals w/ no problems?

4. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

If you want. Total calories are most important. Your body is not so fragile tht 4 hours is going to make a difference. You sleep longer than that...

5. Blondell

You guys are life savers. I prefer to eat larger more infrequent meals, but have been forcing myself to eat every 2-3 hrs.

This "DUH" moment has been brought to you by Blondell. :lol:

6. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

So, is there no truth that your body can only metabolize so much food at a time and the rest goes to storage? I thought this was the premise behind eating smaller, more frequent meals(barring the metabolism stoke)...that when most ate 3 meals they had a tendency too large of quantities.

7. Erik

Erik Admin

So, is there no truth that your body can only metabolize so much food at a time and the rest goes to storage? I thought this was the premise behind eating smaller, more frequent meals(barring the metabolism stoke)...that when most ate 3 meals they had a tendency too large of quantities. [/b][/quote]
    Fitness myth

8. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

Wow I suppose one can learn something new everyday.

9. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

I'll say.

I was under the impression that high meal frequency stimulated metabolism too and that is what you'd want for fat loss. Is that all a myth?--such a foreign concept to me. The whole 5-6 meals a day structure is simply to passify hunger?

10. Erik

Erik Admin

It doesn't.

Metabolism is governed by overall energy intake, not by meal frequency. The thermic effect of food is not going to be different based on eating more often, since it is more a function of total energy intake than it is anything else.

I think there are some benefits to meal frequency, but not for metabolic reasons. And yes, I think it's more an issue of satiation than anything.

I'd personally much rather eat smaller meals more often than bigger meals less often.

11. 3sweeties

3sweeties Well-Known Member

That is good to hear.

If a meal was skipped , can two meals be combined as long as it didn't interfere with your pre and post workout meals? Would that be to much protien in one meal?

For me personally, I don't mind feeling hungry, but I kind of get tired of eating.

12. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be damed.

13. sweetpea_123

sweetpea_123 Active Member

WOW! I thought it was ideal to eat mini meals, and not to go more than 4 hours, unless sleeping, so that your blood sugar would stay stable to help promote weight loss. (Nice run on sentance!!!) :compute:

14. Erik

Erik Admin

It does help with blood sugar regulation/control, but weight loss is a function of your end of day caloric deficit.

15. Leah

Leah Well-Known Member

I hate people like you! :dry:

J/K :p

16. andi

andi anyone selling sleep?

I hate people like you! :dry:

J/K :p [/b][/quote]
    Ditto :p

wow, I always thought it was to get all of your protein in and digested.... :blink:

17. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

You know it is kinda annoying to think I have driven many people around me to the point of NOT wanting to go anywhere with me because I am such a stickler about trying to eat on time.I now find out that there really isn't a reason for it. :mad:
    Of course I won't tell them this..that would make them right.

18. krispy1138

krispy1138 Guest

I have always eaten small meals every 3-4 hours, even as a child. I've never been able to eat a lot at one sitting, hence I'm hungry every few hours. My husband could eat once a day, so I drive him crazy with all of my meals!

19. andi

andi anyone selling sleep?

Uh-oh, so I have been so anal for nothing?! :censor: my poor hubby, always I'm rushing everytime we go somewhere b/c I have to get my meals in.
    Hey Thunder, wait a minute, why is it such a big deal then to get up early enough on the weekends to eat whrn u could just combine some meals? sorry, I'm confused! ;)

20. Erik

Erik Admin

Uh-oh, so I have been so anal for nothing?! :censor: my poor hubby, always I'm rushing everytime we go somewhere b/c I have to get my meals in.
    Hey Thunder, wait a minute, why is it such a big deal then to get up early enough on the weekends to eat whrn u could just combine some meals? sorry, I'm confused! ;) [/b][/quote]
    Cause Thunder said so ... and I prefer the meal frequency option.