Making your baby's food

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by MaiCarInMtl, Nov 7, 2006.

1. MaiCarInMtl

MaiCarInMtl Back on the wagon for good

I am just curious to see how many of you make your baby's food as opposed to buying the jars at the store.

My cousin's wife made all the baby food for their son. I thought that was great! I'm planning on doing that too when I have kids.

Can some of you share your reasons why you decided to make your own food or buy it ready made?

2. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I did it w/ my first child.

It was cheaper than store bought :shrug:

3. sandra77

sandra77 New Member

I did a bit of both. Depending on what was going on that day.

4. mardgra426

mardgra426 Well-Known Member

I made most of mine too. It was way cheaper.

5. MicheleSC

MicheleSC Currently doing nothing

I did it for my first and I plan to do it for the second (not time yet). It's cheaper and fresher. It's easy to change the consistency as the baby gets older and can eat 'chunkier' food. I think you can also introduce more variety than the store bought food provides. Many things you can just mash and eat like bananas and avocado.
    I didn't make my own cereal - I tried and it didn't seem to go over so well with my DD (and it didn't taste so good to me, either) :lol: so I bought organic baby cereal. I think there are more books available now, but I used the book Super Babyfood. It breaks down what foods can be introduced by how old the baby is and has recipes, too, and gives you methods for prepping the food.

6. colo1278

colo1278 I'm growing a person!

I've got a good girlfriend who's a stay at home mom, so that was her #1 reason, having the TIME to do it. She uses a little food mill made for that purpose. My mom also reccomended using ice cube trays to store the food in single servings.

I would like to do it, but I don't think I will have the time...

7. Bunny

Bunny Blessed

it doesn't take any time to make colo - just make extra of whatever veg you are having & put the extra in the blender with some formula or breastmilk & into the ice cube teays. easy peasy! just hold off on adding seasoning until after you've separated out veg for baby. I mostly made my son's. I bought for when we weren't going to be at hime & it wasn't practical to take something.

8. mardgra426

mardgra426 Well-Known Member

That's the same book I used. My DD liked the cereal for a while and then not so much! :yucky:
    I really liked this book.

9. MicheleSC

So true! It does not take much time at all. I am not a stay at home mom (although it would be nice :) ) and I was not when my DD was a baby. It is not very time consuming. Sure, opening up a jar takes no time, but if time is the only thing holding you back, it really isn't bad. I would bake a couple of sweet potatoes and then fill up 2 ice cube trays with that and then pop them in ziploc bags. I would also buy fresh fruit like mangos and put them in a little mini chopper I have to use in cereal. You just put a cube of food in a bowl and microwave for a short amount of time. When baby is older, you add 2 cubes. It's really nice to have it portioned out in the cubes. If it's cereal you can add some breastmilk(or formula) to the cereal with a cube of food and heat. Just like prepping food for yourself, once you get it down, it's not so time consuming.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  10. MicheleSC

I wondered if I cooked it long enough, but it took so long to cook and it was still a little crunchy. Maybe I just didn't do it correctly :oops:

11. colo1278

is the jarred food that bad for the kid or is it more a money thing?

12. MicheleSC

For me, I think of it as the difference in eating canned vegetables vs. fresh, so, no, it's not 'that bad'. It is also much less expensive.

13. fitmonkey

fitmonkey Well-Known Member

If I chop up fresh fruits, how long do they store? Do you have to use it or freeze it before the day is out? Apples and pears turn wierd colors on me.

14. MicheleSC

I would use it or freeze it right away.

15. Bunny

Bunny Blessed

colo, for me, I just didn't see the point of th ejarred stuff other than convenience. It was just as easy to make extras for freezing & de-frost as needed as opening a jar of food & heating some. Plus the jars are only considered good for what 24 hours? So the few times I did use them, food was getting tossed out when ds was just being introduced to things and I just really hate throwing out food.

16. jackie

jackie Well-Known Member

This is what I did with my last 2 children and it was so much easier and cheeper then buying jars of baby food.

17. liberty

liberty Active Member

I made all my kids food. If you get jarred you don't know where the food came from and if you want to buy the non-hfcs, organic baby food you will go broke. It is soooooo easy to just squish whatever you are having for dinner/lunch into baby food. Just make sure you feed veg first or they will only ever want fruit the little sugar-monkies. Baby food is really only the food we each at a minced or crushed consistancy
    C

18. andi

andi anyone selling sleep?

I plan on making my own food for the most part:)

19. colo1278

I think I do now too! :)

20. theresak

theresak Guest

I made my 2nd son's food, and am making Alex's food too. It's easy, cheap and I like knowing exactly what my son is eating. Plus I don't have all those stinkin' little jars filling up my trash can, and I can adapt to what the baby wants. It really doesn't take that much time.