Learning about Gluten and Soy

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Fay, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

I have discovered that I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis and this is the type of thyroid issue that is an autoimmune condition. It is my understanding that eating gluten, which is a protein in wheat, barley and rye, causes my immune system to make antibodies that make me unable to properly use thyroid hormone. In addition, soy binds thyroid, so I have decided it would be best to avoid soy as well. I need all my thyroid available to work for me!

I have struggled with my weight throughout adulthood (I am 49 now) and through this struggle I am getting an education! I have ignored the gluten-free movement because I mistakenly thought that only those with Celiac Disease needed to avoid gluten. I did know that I should avoid soy, but I had no idea how prevalent soy is in processed foods. I have started using an ap called "ShopWell" to scan bar codes and tell me whether a food has gluten or soy in it. Most of my favorite PWO choices have soy, as well as the Almond Breeze that I PUT IN MY COFFEE EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!

I am finding this part of my journey fascinating and I thought it would be good to open a conversation here so that if anyone else has questions or comments on this topic they can learn along with me as I start life without gluten or soy. :)

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

I have not found that it changes my antibodies one way or the other. Some it does and it's worth trying. Mine go up and down with no rhythm or reason.

What almond breeze are you using. Unsweetened original has no soy
    INGREDIENTS: ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), CALCIUM CARBONATE, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2 AND D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).

Silk Unweetned almond has no soy either
    Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, Natural Flavor

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

That's the one I use, so I was scanning random items with the ShopWell ap and when I scanned this the ap said to avoid it because it has soy. I see on the box it says Soy Free! How odd.

4. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

5. Inatic

very odd!

6. csworen

csworen Well-Known Member

Sorry Fay. Maybe having a diagnoses and answers will help trickle into other things (memory, mood, etc). I have done neuropsych assessments with several people with that diagnosis (not that's always the reason they are here to see me). It is so nice that Coach Ileen is such a great resource for this too....our Wegmans has a HUGE area of gluten free products and baked goods. There are several bakeries around here that sell gluten free products. You may see more and more now that you are looking!!! HUGS

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

Thanks for your support! Have you seen a lift in moods and memory when a patient avoids dietary gluten? I am cautiously hopeful about this and wondering how long until I should notice something.

8. csworen

Yes, those with Celiacs....without a doubt I have seen major changes to mood. And memory has improved in those who were experiencing that as a symptom. Now, with a diagnosis of Hashimotos Thyroiditis, they are doing much more...such as with medication management when they see me. So, I don't know what is helping what with all those variables.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

Yes, I am experiencing a similar situation. Since my frozen should diagnosis at the orthopedist earlier this week, I have started on a six-day course of oral steroids. I am attributing my good feelings this week to that. I have heard of a reference to brain fog, which I would consider to include memory. I feel like I operate in a bit of a fog and would love to have that clear up!

10. Inatic

I've had issues with memory for so many yrs now and it hasn't gone away. I know Im not celiac but genetic testing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

12. csworen

Yes...the hormones that regulate the Thyroid are very much involved with brain activity...memory, etc. Its all connected to the neurons ( neurogenesis, growth, mylenation, etc). Always exercise and strengthen your brain and connections. I always recommend lumosity.com to all my patients with typical and "nontypical" (related to disease) memory loss. It never hurts. I am sure the diet and medications help as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

Well, that explains a loooooot! I have never been to luminosity.com, but I will check it out. Thanks for the tip! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

This coming Thursday will be 4 weeks that I have been eating gluten free and I have been slow to come back here and post because I haven't noticed any benefits yet. I have been told that it takes time, so I guess I have to be more patient. I have some complications going on between allergies giving me fits and treatment for a frozen shoulder. My scale weight has gone up, despite my diet being tighter than usual. I think I am retaining water due to steroid treatment for the allergies and shoulder issues. My plan is to increase my daily water intake from 4 to 5 liters per day and see if that helps. My water intake has been inconsistent lately, and so hopefully, by drinking more for a few days, my body will respond by releasing some of this water. It takes a couple of days of increased water intake for the body to regulate. That's my plan...

15. csworen

Agreeed! Stick with your consistent water intake. I drink a 4-5 liters per day. If I struggle by the end of the night, I throw in some crystal light drops....then it goes down so fast!!!! Those things are awesome.

16. Inatic

i've tried it but have forgotten about it. Must revisit (make time! LOL) Im looking into some other things as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Inatic

took a work break.
    What i remember and was reconfirmed is these games give me anxiety LOL and I felt like I need MAJOR work!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. csworen

Ok....maybe not the best option for you....lol....no need to add anxiety!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Inatic

LOL I feel like Im playing video games (makes my heart race) but I could use the enhancement.

20. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

I'm curious why you continue to eat a gluten-free diet if if does not affect your antibodies or help your memory.