Keeping the WANT... Advice?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by kirstny, May 10, 2009.

1. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm sure many of you are SICK of my back and forth-ness with this. I am too! So, I'm looking for words of wisdom, advice, someone who can relate, etc...

Quoted from my journal:
    :sos::oops:

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

what do you tell you clients?

3. jills

jills Make yourself strong

Kirsty, i think anyone here can provide a long and totally justifiable list of reasons why this whole process is hard and often unpleasant and what else they'd rather be doing. Hell, i'd love to be eating at any number of Manhattan's finer restaurants every night and having bloody marys with brunch.

But if you want the results, you just have to suck it up and do it, for however long it takes. Raise your hands to the sky and curse the unfairness of it all but it doesn't get any more basic than that.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kirstny

Many of them NEED to lose weight for health reasons. I know I'm AT a healthy weight AND, left to my own devices, I eat generally quite healthy (just too much and sometimes the wrong stuff, but rarely).

That's why it's tough for me. It's NOT a health issue for me. It's pure vanity, which is fine, but it's just not always enough to motivate me. But, sometimes it IS enough in that I want it and get irritated with myself when I don't do what it takes to GET it. Make sense?

Jill, you're so right. I really WANT to just suck it up and do it. I really only need/want to lose about 5lbs. I can do this in 2 months, I figure. But can I do it and still make dinners I can eat with Pete? :scratch:

5. Inatic

The difficulty is relative.

Do you only have clients at your club with health issues? what would you tell someone who came to you with physique goals?

Im sure even those with heath issues have trouble sticking to a plan, what do you tell them.

6. Original Kloe®

Original Kloe® *sizzle*

It seems like you've already made your decision. You've given us lots of reasons why NOT to diet.

Reality: It's only 5lbs.

Reality: Sitting on the fence is your greatest demise. It's better to be hot or cold than lukewarm.... at least you'll be fully committed to one or the other.

From my own experience, it's the wishy-washy indecisiveness that keeps me gripped with guilt, frustration and stress. One day you've 'decided' that you aren't going to diet; instead, you'll "eat normally"...then you blow it and binge and think "oh, it's okay--I'll make up for it tomorrow by dieting...". So you start the next day off by saying "Okay, today I'm dieting"... but then something comes up: dinner out, a friends birthday... Dieting will never be convenient.

My advice: Don't diet. Make a decision, and be fully committed to it.

It's OKAY to not be on a diet!!! It doesn't mean you've given up, you're weak, or you're going to be obese!!! Give yourself permission to stop dieting!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I dont know your situation, as I havent been here much. But this right here sounds like the best advice.

In reality what are you losing that "5lbs" for? Either you want it THAT bad or you dont. If you are at the point when you dont. That is ok!!! :)

8. kirstny

You are so right about the sitting on the fence being so difficult. For me, at 5', 5lbs. IS a lot. It's the low I got to when I was really sticking to my Erik plan. I ate my way back up. :piggie:

I think I wanted to find out HOW to get around the roadblocks, but still get results... is it possible?

I'm thinking:
    #1--ack.. not sure HOW to get around this.. ?? Suggestions? Do an EC stack? Or..?

#2--I think we can just grill lean meats all summer, with corn on the cob, and my training days I can do corn and then NOT do the corn on non-training days? And always make a big salad (Pete, surprisingly, will eat salad!) and figure out what vegs are super delicious and easy on the grill (suggestions?).

#3--Just get OVER it. :p Be busier! Get outside and make Pete be active with me! Do 1 cheat a weekend and keep it OUT of the house (or order in, but only enough for 1 portion).

#4--Remember how good I felt when I initially started with Erik, having cut out sugar. Just gotta cut it out NOW and get over the cravings.

#5--Normal=average body. But I train HARD and want MORE than that. But can I also find ways to stay ON PLAN when I AM out.... realize eating out does NOT have to be a cheat.

????

I know I'm a whiney baby about this guys. Thanks for listening.
    :wigging::dope:

9. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

:wave:

I think you just have to suck it up about the hunger. Embrace the hunger. Hunger is the signal that you are on the road to fat loss. Adjust your workouts to minimize the fatigue (e.g., drop the number of sets to 3x5 and 2x10). Some people feel the hunger more than others (I know I do!).

Once you are at maintenance, you will have more freedom in your diet and it will be easier to feel "normal".

Define what "normal" is to you. Your "normal" may not be everyone else's normal. Decide to be okay with that. Your "normal" gives you the beyond average body that you want. :poledance:

It is only 5 lbs. That is a short term diet. You can do this. If your mind is not in it right now take a break and be happy taking a break. If your mind is in it go for it with 100% adherence. Listen to your own quote "Diet and be done with it.". You will keep feeling :tantrum: if you diet and don't give it your all.

10. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

My meals are usually something similar to what my family is eating.

If they are having tacos, I will have everything except the taco shells. If they are having hamburgers, I will have a bun-less burger. If they are having pan fried potatoes, I will have a boiled potato. I don't feel like I am eating different from them, I just modify the meal to fit my macros.

Sometimes the meals are different. My hubby will be having a rib-eye steak and grilling chicken for me. You have to decide to be okay with this. If you always let yourself feel deprived, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Try telling yourself you are happy with your diet choices (e.g., "My choices tonight are bring me closer to my goal and are fueling my body.") instead of letting all the negative thoughts fill your head (e.g., "I don't get to eat the same foods."). Sounds corny, what changing how we think can have a huge impact.

:love:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Inatic

Like Sandy said, that chosing is half the (mental) battle. It's a choice. Neither right or wrong but it has to be something you want. You have to be committed to your decision and stick with it.. what ever that might be.

Allowing oneself to feel deprived doesnt work.

There is no reason you can cook 'healthy' meals for Pete and you eat as well. Meals dont have to be boring as many here have gotten really creative even with restrictive menus.

I have to cook for my family as well. It's anywhere from 3-5 kiddos or more at home. I eat what they are eating but like Sandy, adjust it to fit. Rarely do i have to modify it that much but in the event i do, I always have something around that i can turn to.. PLANNING is key.

last night we had a huge gathering of 40something people at my house to celebrate my 2nd sons graduation (from the uni of ga) and iId catered mexican. TONS of food, chips, cake and things not on plan.. but there was plenty ON plan and I made a fajita salad, added veggies and i was perfectly happy with it. I put a piece of cake away in the freezer for when i can have it.

Dieting isn't easy and neither is going after that 'eviable' physique.. but if you want it, you have to do what you've never done to get it or you'll be as you always have been.. which is perfectly fine if that is what you want.

12. Original Kloe®

Original Kloe® *sizzle*

:cena: STOP IT! :tantrum: You're WAY over-thinking! KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!

You know there's no magic pill. :finger: You're asking the exact same question as millions of overweight people: How can I lose weight WITHOUT the hard work, sacrifice, and dedication?

The answer is: Diet and exercise. No shortcuts. Not one. Do it, or don't do it.

:nod:

First step in "getting over it"? GET OFF THE FENCE! IMMEDIATELY! :whipped:

Keeping busier won't solve your food battles in the long run. This is a war that's fought and won on mental ground.

It's easy to think that Pete is partially responsible for your choices, but it's not fair to pin that on him. I'm sure it would be awesome if he had the same interest in health and staying active, but clearly he doesn't. I know how bad you want it for him, cause I'm the same way with my family... but I can't make them do it. The best thing I can do for them is to do it myself, and lead by example. When they're ready, they'll do it.

:lub::hug:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

14. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Two months is nothing. Why is it such an issue for you to forego eating the same thing Pete eats for dinner for two months? You seriously can't suck it up for such a short amount of time as that? There will be plenty of dinners with Pete waiting for you once you've lost that measly five pounds.

I really don't think it's any more complicated than that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Q45

Q45 +h3 H@rdc0r3

if you want it bad enuff you'll do what it takes....ya know,the stuff you want to eat but cant will still be available after you finish dieting.

@ ileen-im gonna steal that quote for my sig :D thats good stuff....

• Like Like x 1
  16. schultzn

schultzn Member

My hubby and I eat different meals nearly every evening and it has just become the norm for us. Not that much more work, plus my hubby helps out (grills meat, chops veggies, etc).

17. kirstny

Thanks everyone, for being so candid and taking the time to respond.

I am IN. I CAN do this for 2 months. The "maybe I don't want this" occurs when I'm hungry and having a hard time being on plan. I need to IGNORE it!

I'm doing it! And don't let me say otherwise! :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Inatic

:clap:

we'll :whipped: in when you get 'weak'

:D

19. kirstny

PLEASE do!

I have a goal bikini (for Greece):
    [​IMG]