how to put together a 4 day upper/lower split

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by Leah, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

You could also do 3 full-body workouts.

2. Erik

Erik Admin

You could go

Week 1:
    Upper 1
    Lower 1
    Upper 2

Week 2 (picking up where you left off):
    Lower 2
    Upper 1
    Lower 1

Etc.

3. jasrich

jasrich Member

Cool, that would work well with my W, F, Su schedule. However, would I be better off doing the full-body as Sohee suggested? Are there illustrations for how to do some of these exercises?

Thanks.

4. Erik

Erik Admin

Better off? Not necessarily. The split is not what's of primary importance - what you are doing in each workout is; and simply being consistent and working hard.

Both options can lead you in the direction to your goals. Neither is automatically better than the other.

What movements are you unsure of?

5. jasrich

jasrich Member

Many, it's been a long time since I used anything other than machines and I've never done many of these exercises at all. I found this up in the thread and I bolded the things that I'm not exactly familiar with. Some, like back extensions, I do on a machine but I'm assuming that when you all refer to an exercise you expect it to be done with free weights. I probably need a few one-on-one training sessions to get learn the proper form for this stuff.

Thanks,

Jason

Bench 4x6
    Row 4x6
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Pull Ups 3x5
    Rear Delt Flye 3x8-10
    Chest Flye 3x8-10
    Optional Ab work

Lower Light:
    Leg Press 3x10
    Good mornings 3x10
    Leg Extensions 3x15
    Single Leg Deadlift 3x15
    (calves possibly, but mine are huge, so I don't want to touch them)

Upper Light:
    Arnold Press 3x8-10
    Lat Pull down 3x8-10
    Pushups 3x15
    One-arm db row 3x15
    Ab work 2x20
    Back extension 2x20

Lower Heavy
    CDL 4x6
    Squat 4x6
    RDL 3x5
    Sissy Squat 3x5

6. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

7. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

One more thing, get off the freakin' machines. :lol:

8. jasrich

jasrich Member

Tx Smuggie. I knew that I had a beat-down coming over the machines.:D

9. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

LOL.. It wasnt the first time he heard it ;)

10. jasrich

jasrich Member

Nope, definitely not the first time.

11. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Jason, that wasn't a beatdown. You don't want to be on the end of things when I let loose with a real beatdown. :lol:

12. jasrich

jasrich Member

Tried a simple (very simple) upper body workout tnite and it kicked my ass - 15 easy mins on the recumbent bike to warm up some, 3x10 of incline BB press, 3x10 of bent over rows, 3x10 of decline presses, 3x10 of lat pulls, 2x12back extensions, 2x15 of leg raises (Captain's Chair), and some exercise ball stuff. My arms are still shaking and I didn't do any arm work. Wow.

Thanks.

13. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Your arms are still shaking for good reason. They get hit big time when you do upper body compound movements. On top of that, you did too much volume for one workout. You could have done without either the decline bench presses or incline bench presses. And back extensions belong on a lower body day.

Also, as you progress and start doing heavier weights for lower reps cardio will not be appropriate as a warmup.

Still, good work on getting off the machines. :wink:

14. jasrich

jasrich Member

OK, I understand that I should have left the back extensions for day 2 but don't I need to do more than one bench press type exercise? Should I have done military press instead?

15. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Why do you think you should be doing more than one benching movement on the same day?

Substituting military presses for one of the benching movements would still give you too much volume.

I looked back through the thread a bit and saw the plan you posted again. Did you find it elsewhere in this thread, or did you make it up yourself?

16. jasrich

jasrich Member

I guess to hit the pecs a little more than one exercise would? Guess not :)

I didn't have a chance to print off all of the stuff that I have collected from the thread and what you posted for me, or practiced the different exercises that I don't know. I'm reading New Rules of Lifting for Men and had it in the gym with me. They talked about a U/L split where you do two different bench press like exercises, rows, lat pulls. I knew how to do all four of those without needing to learn how so I did them tnite. I added in the back extension because I have always done abs and low back in every workout, until now. I have to rethink everything. I'm feeling pretty wiped out tnite, that's for sure.

Jason

17. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Don't think in terms of body parts, think in terms of movement planes. There are four major movement planes when it comes to upper body compound movements: horizontal push (bench pressing movements), horizontal pull (rowing movements), vertical pushing movements (military presses, push presses, DB shoulder presses, and dips), and vertical pulling movements (pulldowns, pull-ups, and chin-ups). Until you get more familiar with effective training try to keep your workouts balanced.

If you go back to the first post on this thread you'll see one of the ways to set up your training is as follows:

The example given for day 1 of this setup is as follows:

So day 3 could be something like this:

Military presses, 5x5
    Pull-ups, 5x5
    Incline DB presses, 3x8
    Seated cable rows, 3x8
    If you want to work arms you could add in some tris for 3x10

I'm not familiar with NROL, so I can't speak for why they recommend doing two bench pressing movements on the same day, but I don't think it's necessary. That's just my opinion, though.

I'm not surprised to hear you were feeling wiped after last night's workout.

18. jasrich

jasrich Member

Smuggie, thank you so much for spelling this out for me! Honestly, I was having a hard time putting together the splits with the exercises that I need to start out with. Even I can follow this and I know how to do all of those exercises to boot. Unfortunately, I have always shorted my legs (surprise) so I need even more help coming up with a lower body workout. Tomorrow is day 2 so I need the lower. Would you mind giving me a sample lower body workout.

I was still feeling it today, of course. I went to gentle yoga and still had a hard time holding a simple pose (downward facing dog).

Thanks,

Jason

19. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Machines and shorting your legs? :sad: :lol:

If you want to continue with the theme of doing light and heavy work in the same workout you could do something like the following:

BB Squats, 5x5
    Romanian deadlifts, 3x8
    SHELCs, 2x12

SHELCs stand for supine hip extensions leg curls. It's a leg curl using a stability ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bL5c9MWKts&feature=related

If you want to do abs you could stick one ab exercise in after.

When we talk about squats around here we mean full squats. That means going down far enough that your hamstrings touch your calves. However, depending on your leverages and flexibility that might not be possible for you right away. If it's not then just go as low as you can.

Also, if you're not used to BB squatting at all you'll probably have to work on form before you'll actually be able to go heavy, so heavy in your case might not be heavy right away.

BTW, my name's Maureen, but folks 'round these parts call me Mo. :wink:

20. jasrich

jasrich Member

Thanks so much Mo. I'm looking forward to trying out this workout.