How to deal with separation anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by KellyFL, May 23, 2011.

1. KellyFL

KellyFL Enjoying my Non-Diet, lol

Hey all, didn't know where else to post this...

My twin boys are 13 months now, and I've been taking them to the child care at the gym since they were about 8 weeks old. The past couple weeks they have started to get really clingy, screaming and crying when I leave, occasionally keeping it up until I come back and get them. Anyone have any tips on how to help get them over this so that I don't have to feel like terribly mom when I take my hour to train?

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Its age appropriate.....

do you have opportunity to leave them at other times as well so it isnt only during that time?

3. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

:console:

Like Ileen said, age approrpiate, and it will pass.

Can you talk to the childcare staff about how they can help out with the transition? A quick, routine goodbye is often better than a drawn out goodbye. Can you leave some favourite snacks, toys, stuffed animals, maybe something you have worn that smells like Mommy? I used to talk and sing along the walk to drop off my youngest when he was a toddler to distract him and help avoid some of the anxiety building up.

4. KellyFL

KellyFL Enjoying my Non-Diet, lol

Right now I can only leave them at that time, with the exception of when they are home alone with Dad.

I'll definitely give bringing a favorite toy or 2 from home a try. I've tried the sneaking out approach, but they always catch me!:p

5. Kathryn

Kathryn 100% focus on myself

It'll be hard for me when my little boy goes through this stage. Right now, I still have a hard time leaving him with others, even family.

6. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

I was the same way. And not having family around made it even tougher.
    I do think that if you have opportunities to leave them with family or friends you trust, it does help a little bit when they do finally hit that separation anxiety stage.

7. Kathryn

Kathryn 100% focus on myself

I do have my husband's family close by, which does make it a little easier. Somedays I really need a break since my husband is deployed, but when I do drop my little man off, I don't want to leave him :wavesad: I'm sure it'll pass..it definately feels good to have some "me" time at the gym!