how to adjust your plan

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by cdubs1, Oct 20, 2014.

1. cdubs1

cdubs1 New Member

I am on the waiting list to join LBC, so in the mean time I am trying to get a head start on a fat loss program. I have been doing a macro based diet for the past year, tracking on MFP per an ex coach. I noticed that I was eating about 1650-1800 calories per day, lifting weights 5 days per week (about 75-90 min sessions), with cardio 6 days per week ( 4days of HIIT at 30 min and 2 days of steady state at 45 min). My weights ranged in sets/reps with some supersets and mild metabolic components on certain days. After no results for months I decided I needed a change. I found LBC and implemented a fat loss plan based on the articles from the site. I started at 152lb, so I chose 1600cal/day, completely stopped cardio, and started with weights 5 days per week, lifting for about 1 hour, a bit heavier in 8-10rep range, and no metabolic days. I also incorporate a free meal. The first week it appeared as if I lost about 1 pound. The second week I was actually up a pound from the previous week. My nutrition has been on point. Not sure what to do from here, or if I should be adjusting anything at this point. I am eating more carbs than my previous plan, as I am really only counting calories and not obsessing about the other macros. With the 1600 calories my carbs are at about 160-180g, protein 140-150g, and fat 20-30g per day. Any advice?

Thanks

Colleen

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

if you have been on a fat loss plan for a yr, I'd suggest taking some time at maintenance.

3. cdubs1

cdubs1 New Member

Hi Ileen,

I wasn't on a fat loss plan for a year, but I followed a macro based diet for that long. I did my first bikini show in May, and since then I have been eating per the plan I listed above. I gained all the weight and bodyfat back after the show. My ex coach slowly added things to my diet post show and reduced my cardio, but for the past 6 months I have been eating about 1650-1800cal per day, doing weights and cardio 6 days per week. It wasn't a fat loss plan, per my ex coach I was actually in a building phase the last 6 months. However, I wasn't seeing any results and so tired of the long workouts, cardio, and counting every little thing. Also, I didn't notice much of a transformation for my first show, so I decided that that program was no for me. Since I have gained a lot back, I am now trying to lose some BF.

4. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

All that cardio doesn't sound like a building plan to me.

5. MissyG

MissyG Member

This. And neither does 1650 - 1800cal per day.

6. Inatic

That doesnt sound like a building phase/plan to me either to me either.
    By gained all the weight back do you mean SLOWLY over a long period of time or rebound, came on quick?

7. Inatic

Colleen What do you weight?

8. cdubs1

cdubs1 New Member

Ileen,

I agree that it doesn't sound like a building plan, but that is what my coach had me on. Since I was really counting and tracking macros on MyFitness Pal, I also kept track or noted my calories for my own records. Even before my show, my coach had me doing baseline 30min cardio 6 days per week. It has been 6 months since my show and over that time I have slowly gone back to my previous weight/shape. After the show, my coach slowly added some carbs back and slowly reduced cardio from 60min 6 days per week to the amount listed above, but she has every client doing some cardio. So she never tracked my calories, just my macros, but I noticed that my calories usually ranged between 1650-1800. I also was having 1 small refeed (if that) per week post show, usually an extra bowl of unweighed oats with some coconut oil or something small like that. Sometimes I would have something more, but very clean like unweighed steak and mashed potatoes at a restaurant.

Right now I weigh 151.4 per my home scale. I've only been doing this plan from LBC for 2 weeks, this will be my third week, I just want to make some progress while i'm on the waiting list.

Thanks for any advice!

Colleen

9. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

This sounds like torture to me.

I follow a group online who only counts their macro percentages. As long as they stay in 40/40/20, they believe they will lose weight. When they don't, they complain that they can't figure out why. Well, there are calories along with those macros. You have to count calories. I think your coach did you a disservice by not doing that for you. That being said, you will love LBC because you won't be counting jack crap. You just measure and eat. It's so easy and non-stressful. And you don't have to write anything down.

The calorie range of 1650 is only 10.8 x BW. That's very low. I doubt you can build on that. 1800 is only 11.8 x BW. Again, not building.

I'm glad you are looking for a new way of doing things. I think you will be happy here. And when you have and LBC refeed, it's like a food orgasm..... So I've heard. I've never had one on my plan.

10. Inatic

Body weight x 12 is about 1800 calories and that is still a deficit. Given you havent been above that you're best bet is slowly trying to raise your calories a wee bit because you never even hit maintenance.

11. cdubs1

cdubs1 New Member

Thanks Ileen! I will give it a try

12. cdubs1

cdubs1 New Member

So I have been consuming about 1600/cal per day with 1 free meal (ex: burrito at authentic mexican restaurant, a few chips and salsa, small dessert) with 5 weight training days and I have not been seeing any results. In fact my clothes feel tighter. Now as I posted previously, I was having about 1650-1800 calories per day, with one free meal 5 weight training days, and 6 days of cardio (30-45 min each). Then when I found LBC, decided to cut the cardio, stick to weights, and started at 1600 calories per day. I started this about 4 weeks ago. I'm not sure what to do, as I'm concerned my clothes are getting tighter. I am very compliant with my diet during the week. Ileen, I know you mentioned trying to slowly creep up to 1800/calories per day, but am I hesitant to do so at this point. Should I add a metabolic workout one day per week?

~Colleen

13. Inatic

you need to work on getting those calories up there and it might come with some weight gain. I'd cut the free meal and focus on knowing exactly how many calories you are consuming. If you are going to work on gaining some metabolic activity you have to expect that some weight gain is going to come with it.

Here's a few reads on the blog:
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/diet-history/
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/1-10/
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/metabolic-mindgames/
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/1-24/
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/metabolic-slowdown-and-what-to-do-about-it/

14. MissyG

MissyG Member

You gotta get that metabolism in check first, and weight gain will probably come with. :(

15. cdubs1

cdubs1 New Member

Hi Ileen,

Thank you so much for posting those articles. After reading, I have a better understanding of why I may not be seeing results. I never thought I was causing metabolic damage eating 1650-1800 calories and doing 30-45 min cardio daily. In fact, I was on a program for years where I had about 1450 calories per day (no cardio) and 1 huge cheat meal per week, so to me 1650 calories was a lot. However, it really does make sense, and obviously my plan is not working. I am going to try to omit the free meal and slowly increase my calories and then stay there for a few weeks. My concern is that I've already seen weight gain to the point I almost can't fit into my clothes in just 3-4weeks. At what pace should I be increasing calories? Do carbs/fat matter at this point or should I just track calories? Also, should I continue to omit cardio and stick with just strength training? I did go from 6 days of cardio to zero all at once.

Again, I can't thank you enough for your help ! I can't wait to start with LBC!

-Collen

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  16. cdubs1

cdubs1 New Member

Missy G,

Eileen posted some great articles on metabolic damage which were helpful. I just never thought that was my issue. However, after tons of research about LBC ad reading many f their articles, I really do trust their advice. I will give it a try, but would prefer to do this under the supervision of a coach. While I'm on the waiting list, I'll start slow and not concentrate so much on fat loss.

17. Inatic

with each increase, hold steady and see if it levels out. if you recently had increased then stay there..

It's a slow process..

You're clothes are going to get tight and you are going to gain but in the hopes of gaining some capacity back; you have to be willing to do that.