HIIT / Interval Training

Discussion in 'Training' started by The13ig13adWolf, May 2, 2006.

1. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

When im used to running and not a lard a** from bulking :oops: short/er sprints i run at a spd of 12 and that isnt fast enough without an incline.

Long sprints i can usually run at a 9.5 or 10.

You dont need to worry about if your speeds are up with someone else (each persons conditioning is different) as long as your working hard enough for you.

2. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

Right now I am 30/60second - I am 11.0 at 2 % incline, but I do less than 10 cycles.

3. dearest22

dearest22 Member

That's what I do. I don't care if people look at me funny.

4. nutka

nutka Member

:ditto:

5. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

I hop on and off as well.....(while waiting for the tready to slow down.speed up)....I'd rather use two treadmills, but after 20 seconds with no one on my gym treadys say "user not detected" and stop.

6. jaleena

jaleena Banned

I'm wondering about that "user not detected" thing...I've gotten that while on the treadmill a couple of times...and not while standing on the sides, either. Twice in the same 20min SS session. :scratch: Any idea what causes it/how to prevent it?

7. Audrey

Audrey Well-Known Member

I've had this happen to me when I jump off the treadmill (during my rest period) and rest more than 30 sec. walking... next to the treadmill. It doesn't happen though if I stay on the treadmill, with my feet to the side just resting. I guess it is a security measure built in for most commercial treadmills :shrug:

Very frustrating though... especially when you have to re-start the treadmill because it stopped and it messes up with your rest intervals :dry:

8. Sting

Sting New Member

Good question. Personally I have done mins 5 days in a row for 3yrs now.

9. shimmeringpearl

shimmeringpearl Member

lolol! love it

10. runnerstilskin

runnerstilskin Member

I've only done HIIT outside, I'm afraid that with treadmill going so fast I would end up falling...but it's -15 outside and covered in ice...how do you guys not fall while jumping on and off?!?! I think my max would be 8.0

11. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I actually don't jump on and off. I'll hit the higher speed and then just start running. The treadmill takes a bit to build up to that speed so you have time to adjust. Then I hit the lower speed and start slowing down with the treadmill. That is how I do it anyway :shrug:

Edit: I hit the speed and hit enter. I don't gradually go up using the arrow keys. But I guess it depends on how the treadmill works that you are using.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  12. Askinner11

Askinner11 Active Member

:yeahthat: Same way here!!

13. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

I have jumped on and off. I grab hold and jump to side. Hold and jump on 'running'

14. *Richelle*

*Richelle* Member

I do this way also, only instead of running during the slow down, I hop off to the sides while it's slowing down. By the end of my sprint I need a few seconds to suck air before I can continue, lol!

15. Shekerr

Shekerr New Member

lol!!

16. drama5

drama5 Member

lol....We have to run backwards regularly for umpire training in Aussie Rules footy...Most unusual concept for most but it make you work harder due to the reversed muscle work for pushing....ie increased Quad work.....

17. drama5

drama5 Member

And I love interval training too.....I get a high out of it cos I'm a terrible runner....lol

18. Emma

Emma Member

I love HIIT, with years of running under my belt it has always been the quality sessions I've looked forward to, rather than the long runs. I feel a huge sense of achievement after an interval session and feel totally knackered in the best kind of way.

My go to session is 15 by 15 seconds with 45 second recovery. About 1.5km to warm up and 2-3km to cool down.

Others I do are

10 by 30 seconds up hill, the recovery is walking back down the hill

Mona Fartlek (named after Australian marathon runner Steve Monaghetti) - 90 seconds hard, 90 recovery by 2, 60 hard, 60 recovery by 4, 30 hard, 30 recovery by 4 and 15 hard, 15 recovery by 4, this is 20 minutes.

Bends and straights (done on an Aths track) - Run hard for 100 metres down the straight, run easy (or walk) for 100 on the bend), 15-20 minutes worth.

On the bike in the gym if its too hot or cold outside, I hate the treadmill so indoor HIIT is always on the bike

5 minute warm up
    60 seconds hard, 60 easy
    45 hard, 45 easy
    30 hard, 30 easy
    Repeat 5 times
    Cool down until you hit 30 minutes.

19. pegavi

pegavi Member

I often do it in this way:

5 min warmup
    15 sec all out/45 sec lower intensity - 5 times
    5 min steady state
    5 min steady state
    5 min cool down

for a total of 35 min. I find the 5 min "breaks" between the 5 min interval sessions give me time to recover so I can hit each 5 min session of intervals harder than if I do all 15 min of intervals ina row. Ihave tried both ways and although 15 mins in a row with 5 min warm up and cool down is 10minutes shorter, I get much better intensity with the way listed above.

20. Mn_Diezel

Mn_Diezel Member

Is HIIT to be done immediately following your workout or at a different time entirely, or doesn't it matter, as long as it gets done?

:whistling: