Healthy Fats

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by rachel., Jul 10, 2006.

1. Angie

Angie Starting over

Avocados are great, I put them in my salads and also add them in tuna and turkey burgers. Yummy :love:

2. rachel.

rachel. EP Boardoholic

hmm tahini? Is that easy to find? where in the grocery store should I look for it?

I tried to find sunflower seeds/any seeds but all are manufactured in places that also make nut products :(

Hmm avocado oil? I should look into that...

3. farellas

farellas Guest

I put a tablespoon of ground flax into my protein pancakes and you can't even taste it.

4. bcmom

bcmom Member

Try ground sesame, hemp and flax seeds in protein shakes, sprinkled on salads, eggs, cottage cheese, etc. etc. Best to grind these yourself just prior to eating them so the oils won't turn rancid. Hemp oil is also an excellent source of healthy omega essential fatty acids. Many people with food allergies can tolerate hemp products very well.

5. newtoitall

newtoitall New Member

I have never seen coconut oil, does anyone know where it can be purchased

6. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Try Asian or health food markets. ;)

7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

or organic section in groceries.. Both mine have it.

8. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

:ditto:

9. Breezy

Breezy Member

Coconut milk is friggin AMAZING in just about ANYTHING and coconut BUTTER is possibly the best thing in the world, make some chocolate fudge sauce with coc butter and cocoa powder, stevia, and micro for a few seconds. Also, I've seen a TON of desserts with avo, sounds weird but I can totally see it working because of the creaminess and mild texture...

http://www.tasteduds.com/2009/07/19/recipe-coconut-avocado-ice-cream/

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/desertrecipes/r/avofudge.htm

for reference..this coco butter will change your life!

[​IMG]

10. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

That is one thing I have never tried. I'll have to check it out one of these days!

11. phippengr8

phippengr8 Member

OHH I have this. it's really good. I use it in my oatmeal, protein pancakes, toast.. mmmmm. I want to try it in some bars next.

12. phippengr8

phippengr8 Member

:yum: to the choc sauce..

13. Inatic

does the CO sauce harden like magic shell??

hmmmmmmmm lol... pro ice cream with magic shell?? :yum: will try one of these days :D

14. gege

gege New Member

Take fish oil..capsules or pure oil. Incorporate avocados with meals. Should take much to achieve your daily healthy fat requirements. Be careful of using cheese or other foods that are not low/fat free, Those calories add up pretty quick.

15. Kerra

Kerra New Member

Where would I buy coconut butter. I am sure I can get it online, but I was wondering if you get it from a grocery store, Trader joes or somewhere like that? Sounds wonderful...Yummy!

16. phippengr8

phippengr8 Member

I got mine at Wholefoods, but ive seen it at Good Earth. Im sure Trader Joes has it too.

17. phippengr8

phippengr8 Member

Have you tried your majic shell Yet?

I did mix, coconut butter, unsweetened coca powder and stevia in the raw, melted it for a little and poured it over air poped popcorn. It was very goood. yummm...

18. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

[SUB]I have done the coconut oil with stevia and cocoa powder over protein ice cream. It does harden like magic shell. I have also poured over peanut butter and put in the freezer... Reeses pb cups FTW[/SUB]

19. Inatic

I used to make pb cubs back when i was trying my hand at atkins. :yum:
    hadnt yet. now just have to remember to try it. :)