Guns

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Erik, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Erik

Erik Admin

There were a couple comments in the Privacy vs Liberty thread about the right to own a gun that got me wondering ...

Why?

As I said in that thread, I can't imagine owning a gun. What would I need a gun for? It's not like I can shoot anyone.

What are the gun laws in the US? I have no idea what the gun laws are in Canada.

Why do you want one? What are the legalities for using it?

2. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

copied from the other thread:

3. Meadows

Meadows misses her dad

My post from other thread:

I believe I have the right to defend myself, my family and my property by any means necessary. Also, when a government disarms its people the government takes way too much power.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but what if our government was overthrown and an absolute dictatorship put into place? Or there was a mass invasion? I think the people should be able to take up arms.

If all the freedoms I mentioned earlier were taken away from Americans, I believe it is our fundamental right to take those freedoms back, by force if necessary.

4. Erik

Erik Admin

Ok, I get that part - hunting.

But that's like rifles and stuff right? Not a semi-automatic pistol. :lol;

I get that too, but again, it's not like we're allowed to shoot anyone right?

5. Erik

Erik Admin

What are the laws on that?

What else would you extend this to? Meaning, what other decisions that the government makes for people, do you have a problem with? Wait, that's a loaded question, isn't it? :lol:

What about, say drug laws and what's deemed legal and illegal?

Interesting.

6. lawgrrrl

lawgrrrl For mah girls

You do not have the right to defend your property by any means necessary. You and your family, maybe and limitedly, but not by any means necessary and definitely not your property. :)

7. Lingerie Lady

Lingerie Lady Face Your Fears!

I don't have really strong feelings either way. . . between shotguns, rifles and pistols we probably have somewhere between 15 to 20 guns in the house. Some have sentimental value for DH because they had belonged to his dad, or he shot his first deer with it or whatever. Then there are different guns for the different type of game that's being hunted and the smaller size guns for the grandsons to use hunting. Pistols are just fun for target practice and we have several different sizes/makes/models. About once a summer DH takes me out to target practice just so I remember how to use one . . . not that I ever could even if I was in a life or death situation. I think I'd be too scared.

Even though I know the different uses, etc. I really don't think that we need quite this money guns in the house, but I guess it's not my call since I'm not really the one that uses them.

8. mcv

mcv Blissfully Maintaining

I think I :love: you. My DH would wholeheartedly agree. Iowa is not a "castle doctrine" state so not sure about property alone, but I certainly believe you should be able to defend your person and family by any means needed.

9. lawgrrrl

lawgrrrl For mah girls

I totally agree with you here.

My post above was not based on my personal opinion, just thinking legally.

10. Erik

Erik Admin

What does 'castle doctrine state' mean?

11. lawgrrrl

lawgrrrl For mah girls

allows you to use deadly force to protect you 'castle'

12. Meadows

Meadows misses her dad

I am not referring to just intruders, but also those examples I listed below (invasion, dicatorship). Laws do vary, but if your life is in danger (if someone has a weapon or the abililty to exert deadly force) you can shoot to kill.

I think it would be best if we didn't get into this today. :lol: I am not anti-government, but a gal has to be ready for all situations.

:shades:

13. Erik

Erik Admin

And some states have that law in place?

14. Erik

Erik Admin

So you can shoot someone if they point a gun at you for example?

I must be coming across as very naive here. :lol: But I live in Canada. We have no crime. :lol:

:jk:

I will ask you tomorrow then. :p

This topic interests me.

15. mcv

Yes - quite a few actually.

But not mine. :(

16. Erik

Erik Admin

So in some states you can shoot people to defend your property and in others you can't?

:blink:

Shouldn't that a country-wide ruling?

17. mcv

:shrug:

In some states you have to "retreat" - basically move away from the conflict and amnnounce your intention to use deadly force, some you don't, and some have no clear cut case law either way.

18. Meadows

Meadows misses her dad

It varies from state to state, but in Georgia, yes. I can shoot someone if I have reasonable fear that my life or the life of another is in danger. The attacker does not have to have a weapon, but it would sure help my case. If someone tries to enter my home and I am have a reasonable fear for my life or the belief that they intend to commit a felony I can use deadly force.

These laws do not just protect guns. They protect victims that fight off attackers and kill them, be it by gun, knife, baseball bat....judo chop to the throat

:lol:

19. Erik

Erik Admin

That makes no sense to me.

How can a gun law differ from state to state. It's the same country. :scratch:

20. Meadows

Meadows misses her dad

The Constitution leaves a lot of things up to the states to decide.