Grow More Fat & Improve Your Metabolism

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by nicole_t, Nov 17, 2009.

1. nicole_t

nicole_t New Member

Just read this really interesting post about a new study, from a couple of obesity researchers over at Obesity Panacea. Really interesting, counter-intuitive stuff for most of us prescribing to what they call the "Fat is bad mantra":

2. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

:wigging:

3. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

And yet, it helps prove my theory, that you can prove just about anything you want with research.....

4. jaleena

jaleena Banned

Since I'm already the closest thing to a fat advocate...and I'm not sold...let's go with my first question about the text:
    "The emerging theory of why obesity is associated disease risk suggests that it is not the excess amount of fat that results in problems – but rather, it is the inability of the fat tissue (specifically subcutaneous, or under the skin fat) to expand enough to store all the excess calories being ingested."
    --Why not just get off of the bulking diet, since it's the excess calories that are supposed to be the problem? If having enough calories to support current mass, without needing to find new places to store them, is fine...one would think this to not be so difficult, particularly when health problems are otherwise being faced, no?

My other thoughts fall more into an area of gray...largely not believing that there are enough obese people (by the standard clinical definition) in the kind of shape to feel healthy for it to be significant enough to be worth clinical consideration. I've not weighed in the last few weeks, so I don't know which side of the line I'm on, but I know I'm most comfortable when I'm treading it...and while very few people here would put up with my level of softness, I'm also not what one normally considers obese--I don't normally like to run, but I can do it in 5" heels when it's called for, and I can do weighted pull-ups like a freight elevator, amongst other things reserved for the able-bodied. And even at this, I'd take a drug that has me lose 2kg of sub-q fat over one that has me gaining it, any day. As much as I enjoy feeling unstoppable, I also enjoy my leaner moments that offer greater range of motion before my flexibility is limited by my flesh binding onto itself--it's not marked now, but when I'm warm, it's my glute on my hammie that keeps me from laying back very far in the split position, as opposed to tightness in my hip flexor. Little things like that. And I know that that the standard idea of an obese person is much more limited...I can't imagine actual health coming from them gaining fat, even if it is improving things like blood sugar control.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. nicole_t

nicole_t New Member

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but wouldn't your first point solve the obesity problem almost outright? Aren't you just saying that obese people need to diet? It's like MDs counselling patients to stop smoking if they want their respiratory problems to go away and to reduce the risk of lung cancer... yet still people, like my grandfather, continue to smoke, get lung cancer, smoke throughout it, and die as a result.

Aside from people who have medical conditions causing obesity in one way or another, if obese people just stopped over-eating nutrient deficient food in the face of potential health problems, reduced mobility, etc.... AKA if they dieted, there would be no need for weight loss drugs, etc. Dieting = reducing intake = "getting off the bulking diet," and as we all know.. it sucks, isn't easy, and is hard to stick with. Just one of the reasons there are so many overweight and/or obese people. Yes, there are many obese people who want to change, but there are many others who couldn't give a sh*t what they look like and take health precautions with a grain of salt.

Your last point, "I can't imagine actual health coming from them gaining fat," is the whole kicker of this 'emerging theory' and study. It appears there COULD be, at least regarding some of the main factors contributing to the top diseases associated with obesity. Insulin sensitivity is at the heart of diabetes, and visceral fat is a predictor of heart disease.

At least for the folks who couldn't give a shit about changing their diets in the interest of health, the potential of the drug to reduce visceral fat and allow sub-q to expand instead is REALLY AWESOME. I do not generally believe in taking drugs for weight loss, but with regards to this study, I am just thinking of all the beer-bellied dads out there who are not about to start toting around their own meals or ordering a salad when they're out wining and dining.

And who knows, maybe the more rapid increase in their sub-q fat would make a lot of people re-think their diet and lifestyle. I think excess sub-q fat on men, at least, is a lot less socially acceptable than the standard visceral beer belly.

6. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

:scratch:
    so beer belly dads should keep on drinking.. come to mind the 6-9months preggers ones.. Oh yeah.. keep on drinking and pop a pill?
    :uhuh:

7. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

Yeah, no need to adjust your caloric intake. Just pop a pill that helps your fat utilize some of those extra calories. :huh:

8. jaleena

jaleena Banned

The sentence I quoted would suggest that these people could simply eat at maintenance, and avoid the metabolic problems. That's not a very restrictive calorie level for obese people.
    As for my phrase about true health--I see health as more than merely not being diabetic. In the case of the "beer belly dads," wouldn't health involve being able to play tag with their kids? Other activities that obesity inhibits?

9. nicole_t

nicole_t New Member

Hey, I agree with all of you that more medication should not be the answer. But you have to admit that there are people out there who are NOT going to change their lifestyle and will get sick and die as a result.

If you look at it from the perspective of one of these stubborn/stupid people being your own family member, it would be nice to have that last resort medication to keep your stubborn uncle around who refuses to listen to your or his doctor's health advice.

I'm a personal trainer and while I try to inform and set an example for those I love (and those I don't) every chance I get, some of them persist in their unhealthy ways. We all know it's a lot harder than simply providing the knowledge. People have to want to change, and a lot of people are OK with the status quo. It's true every dad probably wants to be able to play tag with his kids, but has that prevented obesity among fathers of young children? Hardly!

10. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

This is very true. I have a couple of nurse friends that used to be dieticians, and they no longer do it anymore because it is so unsatisfying in regards for people to ever change their diet based on their recommendations.

They say most people are referred, usually for diabetes, lots of health problems associated with diet, and MOST people do not and don't change their diet. They continue on their merry way, eating and drinking in the same way.

As far as beer belly dads, there is alot more complications from that beer belly, than even not being able to run and play with their children. They are also prone to liver failure, etc....well from the alcohol consumption anyway. No pill that I know of is going to fix that.