Going low-carb for 1 week

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Blondell, May 3, 2006.

1. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I plan to take a week off of training soon and would like to try going low carb during that time to continue to burn fat. Is this a good idea? If not, how should my diet be changed--in relation to lack of training--in order to continue fat loss?

2. AgKitty

AgKitty Wherever, whenever

Why can't you just drop cals by a little instead of cutting carbs? I just ask because I can barely function on low carbs.

3. Brandi

Brandi old school

I don't see why that would be a problem. As long as the fats and protein are in line.

4. Blondell

Overall calories would be lowered as well. I am wondering if keeping it low carb would cause more fat to be burned as energy. My understanding has been that when carbs are not available, and protein intake is adequate, the body burns more fat as fuel. I won't need as many carbs b/c I won't be doing any intense training.

5. Brandi

Brandi old school

Why aren't you going to train for a week?

6. Blondell

I'm feeling run down and don't wanna overtrain. I haven't yet decided if it's time for a break, but want to be prepared if it is.

7. AgKitty

AgKitty Wherever, whenever

Well it won't harm so if you like it, go for it.

8. Erik

Erik Admin

How long have you been eating submaintenance calories? Depending on the length of time, it could be a good idea to time your week off of training with a week at maintenance calories to help 'reset the system' a bit.

If not, then I don't think you're going to HAVE to go low carb. Of course, since you're not training you won't need as many carbs since you don't have activities to fuel, but your fat loss will be more an issue of your caloric deficit than it will be going low carb.

9. Blondell

Thank you.
    I've been eating sub-mantainance since mid-Jan.

I eat on average 1700-1800 cals/day and am 5'8" 155 lbs. I'm currently carb cycling and training 4 days w/weights and 3 days of cardio. I take 2 days off from training every week.

10. Erik

Erik Admin

Go to maintenance for your week off.

11. Blondell

Go to maintenance for your week off. [/b][/quote]
    Thank You. I will.

I appreciate it. :)

12. Kathryn

Kathryn 100% focus on myself

would it be wrong to go low carb for awhile..say two weeks with having a refeed day on Sat. or Sunday...I now like being on lower carbs..my body just got used to it..so could I do this and it will help me shed fat? and then go back to "medium carbs" for the next week and then cycle it again??

13. Erik

Erik Admin

I don't quite understand the context of your question. :unsure:

14. Blondell

Are you talking about cycling carbs by weeks instead of days? :confused:

15. Kathryn

I don't quite understand the context of your question. :unsure: [/b][/quote]
    oh sorry...well I have tried carb cycling before and I haven't done so well by going high med low high med low low....so I was wondering if I could go 2 weeks low carb..and having 2 out of the 14 days a Refeed....and then the next week be medium carb...

16. Kathryn

Are you talking about cycling carbs by weeks instead of days? :confused: [/b][/quote]
    yep...would my body adapt by going by weeks instead of days???

17. Kathryn

what do you think about this..is it alright to carb cycle by weeks like I suggested?

18. Blondell

I have never tried it, so i really can't comment on it. :unsure:

19. Leah

Leah Well-Known Member

Technically you could cycle it any way you like but it seems a lot of work and maybe a pain in the ass cause you have to adjust your training to coincide w/ your diet. CKD or TKD w/ weekly refeeds is a different diet than carb cycling you'd train a bit differently. I think it'd be far better for you to remain consistent w/ your method of dieting because your training would be more consistent.

JMO though

20. Kathryn

Technically you could cycle it any way you like but it seems a lot of work and maybe a pain in the ass cause you have to adjust your training to coincide w/ your diet. CKD or TKD w/ weekly refeeds is a different diet than carb cycling you'd train a bit differently. I think it'd be far better for you to remain consistent w/ your method of dieting because your training would be more consistent.

JMO though [/b][/quote]
    thanks! any opinions are welcome!....what would the consequences with be with training regularly through the low carb weeks...I was thinking about having carbs for breakfeast and PWO...but still under 100 g....maybe around 75 grams??