Goblet Squat Question?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Amy1984, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Hi guys! When I perform Goblet Squats, holding a dumbbell vertical by the base, I feel a lot of tension in my lower back. I assume that this is because my form is off; however, i can't tell what I am doing wrong? Any suggestions?
    On my last set I hold in the squat position for an extended period of time but this is difficult for me not because my quads are tired, but because the tension on my lower back bothers me. Any tips, advice, etc on how I can correct my form would be appreciated!

Thank you! Hope everyone is has a great Wednesday or Thursday depending on what country you are in :)

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Are you keeping your chest up and back straight?

3. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Hi Ileen. I thought I was but maybe I wasn't doing a good job at it. I'll focus on this next week and still if I cant the tension off my lower back.

4. Emma

Emma Member

Get someone to check your form if you can, I wasn't keeping my back straight, the other half kept an eye on me this week and helped me get my form right.

5. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Okay good idea. Thank Emma! I will do that.

6. GreekGirl

GreekGirl Member

Try to go as far down as you can while keeping your chest up and back straight as Ileen said. It might not be as deep as you want to but over time your mobility will improve. If your lower back rounds at the bottom you have gone too far down

7. KellyK

KellyK New Member

Any luck releasing the lower back tension?

8. Arajkowski

Arajkowski Active Member

I just posted this video in the full squat thread but check this out, maybe it'll help with progressions http://youtu.be/FAu6b-KcK0U

9. hallakristin

hallakristin New Member

I had the same problem and I was always rolling my hips backwards, so I was pushing my glutes out. I did the same when doing barbell squats and just practiced keeping my hips right and strengthened my lower back and abs. Hope it helps :)

10. Monicca

Monicca New Member

I brace my core , keep my chest up, I feel stronger and in control through the movements :)