Getting past a plateau

Discussion in 'Training' started by Shannaks, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Shannaks

Shannaks This seat's taken

I have been increasing my weights almost every workout on most of my lifts except a few. I KNOW I can go heavier but I would love to have a spotter for saftey reasons. I am afraid I will injure myself or not be able to do all my reps if I go heavier yet the weights I am at now I can max out on reps ( per my plan) and am getting a good workout, I just know I could get an even better workout if I can just get past these plateaus.

Any tricks for going heavier without a spot? I train early am, not many people in my gym and the few that are there I don't know. I know I could go heavier on squats ( currently at 135# for all 4 working sets ATG squats too. No smith rack squats here) and things like shoulder presses ( at 35# and I know I can go heavier) I just don't want to go heavier and only get in half my reps.

Thanks!

2. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

What about doing the first set heavier, while your the strongest and drop the others back down to your normal, and increase from there? Ie.. 1 set heavier 3 sets normal, then next time 2 sets heavier 2 sets normal and so on until you feel you can complete all four sets heavier (confidently).. Make sense? I'm no where near an expert, but that's what would try.. Hope someone educated chimes in here..

3. Erik

Erik Admin

If you need a spotter, you're using a weight you can't handle on your own.

4. Erik

Erik Admin

And keep in mind, that continued strength/performance gains while dieting and eating in a deficit just isn't going to happen.

Performance MAINTENANCE will be a dieting success.

5. Shannaks

Even thought the current weight seems almost too easy yet the next amount up seems too heavy? I think its more for insurance than anything my desire for a spotter. Just in case I got in trouble. I never lift anything I don't think I could do on my own yet I know I can go heavier and want to be able to but am afraid of not being able to complete the reps/set.

6. Shannaks

I totally get this. Yet my strength keeps going up. Things that were hard a few weeks ago are easy now and I am going heavier. I understand some of this is muscle memory but I am close to some PR's that I was over 2 years ago when I was maintaining not in a deficit. Maybe I am an anomaly. :funny:

7. Erik

Erik Admin

Yes, because if a spotter is helping you, YOU'RE not lifting it all. I haven't had a spotter for anything in I don't know how many years.

My thoughts are here -
    http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/spotters-you-dont-need-one/

If you 'know' you can go heavier, go heavier.

8. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Guess I got told! :funny::funny::funny:

9. Erik

Erik Admin

It's a bonus. Many will gain strength early on - my point is just that it comes to an end and overall performance maintenance while dieting is success. Gains are a bonus. Take them while you can.

10. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

micro load with the mini plates/magnetic plates or even those end clips.

Do you not have a squat rack with guards that can be adjusted? you can pretty much do anything in there 'spotted' by the cage/guards.

11. Erik

Erik Admin

Good idea.

Get some fractional plates.

12. spa_68

spa_68 Member

I use Platemates. Mine are just about 1.25lb each, but for you heavy lifters, I think they may have 2.5lb plates as well. Just google "platemate". They are great for slow, incremental increases.

13. Inatic

mine was a set. Cant remember where tho.

14. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

I love my platemates.

15. Erik

Erik Admin

That was a win for me too.

16. Inatic

17. Inatic

those dont fall off? they used to?

18. Shannaks

Right. I have a friend whom I used to train with ( we have opposite schedules now) that would spot. She wouldn't touch the weight at all, was there for insurance. There in case I got into trouble and I think there was a mental aspect of knowing she was there in case I got in to trouble that I was able to get all my reps in ( not forced but able to finish the set) than just me lifting alone second guessing myself on my ability to lift the weight. This is the point I am at now with a couple lifts. Like if I had someone there JUST IN CASE I got in to trouble. I know how to properly spot and so does my friend. Just sucks we can't train together any more.

Believe me I am.

I squat in the squat rack and have everything set up in case I get in to trouble. I just don't want to add a tiny bit of weight and not be able to complete my sets and feel like a failure when at my current weight I am able to complete all my sets and reps no problem with proper form. I am still getting a great workout and I know I am not supposed to train to "failure" just wanting to progress. Which I know I can even in a dietary deficit.

Don't have fractional plates at my gym. All dumbbells are in 5lb increments from each other and you can't add on to them. There are a few 2.5# plates around the gym but not many. The plates there are 5,10,25,45s.

19. Erik

Erik Admin

Buy your own set.

20. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I used to have my hubby go with me every leg day to spot squats. I felt the same. That it made me feel more secure. It ended up that he stopped being able to hit the gym at the same time and I was so scared to push the weight at first as well. I did find though. I made MORE effort without him there. And I got to the point I could push the weight. I try to worry about bringing the weight down before I worry about if I can bring it up. Mentally that helps me I use spotter bars. And when I hit the bottom and time to bring it up. I either do it. Or I drop it. But I can say I make every effort to bring it back up. If I dont, there I am removing all the weight so I can go again. Lol