? For those with implants

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Barbj, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Barbj

Barbj Member

I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction using a TRAM method- they took my belly fat/tissue and gave me Foobs with it. :thumb: the second phase of the process is implants which are scheduled for September 13. My question is... I'm supposed to be out of the gym for 6 weeks but can I do leg stuff- squats, lunges, etc? I assume I just can't work my chest or shoulders? I don't know what to expect but I didn't want to be out of the gym again for 6 weeks. I went back at 5-6 weeks after the first surgery and that was really involved but I don't want to mess anything up with the implants either. Advice is welcomed!!
    Thanks!
    Barb

2. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

Every doc is different. I wasn't allowed in the gym AT ALL for 3 weeks not only because I had to keep my heart rate down, but also because I was told to essentially keep my arms at my side. After that I still had to take it easy till week 6. (I went under the muscle; recovery is shorter if you go on top).

I had a conservative surgeon, and I agreed with his methods; I'd rather be away from the gym for a few weeks than be out of the gym for much longer as well as out of more money because I messed something up by going back to the gym too early.

Like I said though, check with your surgeon; everyone is different.

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

i had a reduction/lift. And yes, everyone is different.
    no CHEST lifting a week prior for me.
    No gym for '6 weeks/get the heart rate up'
    but
    being the fit condition and VERY fast recovery my doc had ever seen lol...

three weeks i was allowed to walk
    month do legs
    and by 5 weeks lift anything i wanted..
    I went slow cause i couldnt really lift much.

4. Barbj

Barbj Member

Good to know. He said I can walk as much as I want so I was planning on doing that as soon as the drains come out and I feel ready. With the prior surgery, I was wanting to do stuff at the gym at 4 weeks so I imagine since this recovery is "easier" I might feel ready 2-3 weeks to do some walking and leg stuff. He said I'd be back at work in 2 weeks and I'm a physical therapist which requires a lot of manual labor work/lifting so either he doesn't know/understand what I do or it really is an easy surgery. Not sure which...

5. Inatic

i think i'd throughly explain what you do and that your work is physical. doesnt sound right you'd be working in your position like that. Physically at work, yes..

6. anzevino33

anzevino33 New Member

@Barbj
    I consider you so lucky since the recovery took so long with me.. when I say so long I mean months before I became healthy as I was before the surgery...

7. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

You can't get your heart rate up after? This is new news for me. Although, I'm a few years off from getting them, I still take in all info that I can about the procedures.

8. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

I believe that is true of any surgery.

9. KRM

KRM New Member

I was given the same advice as cdnmom2girls. I was three weeks before I was allowed to go back to the gym at all. With the risk of capsular contracture being higher the earlier you are active, I would listen closely to the surgeon and do NOT do anything before he/she tells you to. The risks are just not worth it. Walking as soon as you can is very important though. I began walking up and down the hall the 1st and 2nd day post-op, then our crescent day three but I took it slow. Best wishes!

10. lesliemirinda

lesliemirinda Member

My doc said nothing for four weeks except walking so I walked and walked...and walked...and well you get the picture I walked.............a LOT! Then I started with legs and moved on from there but as posted before, everyone and every surgery is different but wishing you all the best!!!!

11. KC2012

KC2012 Member

Anyone from Maryland have a doctor they would reccomend for Breast augmentation? I have two consults coming up but selection was based on top doctor reviews from the medical community. Personal experience is always better.

Any things I need/should ask during consult?

thx
    KC

12. novamt

novamt Member

What part of MD? I can recommend someone in Fairfax if that's not too far.

13. Dayna

Dayna Member

i wasnt allowed to drive or hold anything over 10 lbs for the first 2 weeks. but i walked and walked and walked but it was really not until month 6 that i could fo a decent back workout causei would get pain and tightness in my chest during the release. my implants are unders and 500 ccs so quite large.

you had ur surgery alrdy, do you like them??? yay boobs!! i <3 mine the chest flexing is the weirdest part... hahaha

14. JMP

JMP New Member

Which is better to get saline or silicone gel implants?

15. Inatic

personal decision that you will want to discuss and decide with your dr.

16. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I like my silicone gels. My mom has saline and has popped them 3 times. I know it's not all that common, but every tune they go in for a fix you lose a little more of your own breast tissue. That's my .02 :D

17. novamt

novamt Member

3 times? Can I ask how? That's a lot of surgery and money, yikes!

18. extremediva

extremediva New Member

I went back to early, ended up back in surgery I tore my pocket, everyone is different, if I had it to do over- I would have stayed out of gym,