Food Addiction ...

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Erik, Sep 4, 2007.

1. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

:sad: I ate a candybar while IN THE SHOWER the other morning........had a HORRIBLE binge for a couple of days 2 weeks ago. I "think" I realized the cause of most of my headaches.....never put 2 and 2 together like this. I used to get migraines that would last 3-4 days and nothing would get rid of them. I'm getting better control over my eating so over the last yr they haven't been as bad or as frequent. The last binge I had I ate a whole bag of mini snickers and half a chocolate chip cookie "cake" over a period of less then a day and a half. When I woke up the next day, I felt like I got ran over by a truck.....like an alcohol hangover minus the liquor! My eyes were swollen, my face and skin were bloated and swollen. Never paid any attention to this before but I just figured it HAD TO BE from all the junk and sugar I consumed earlier. Had that headache for 4 days. I do think these past headaches have been from my over indulging in the junk but never pieced it together. That said, I think this will make me more apt to control these binges because I have such a hard time functioning with 2 young kids, work and work outs and teaching fitness classes while having these headaches. I have had candy since the last binge but I kinda got sick to my stomach when I thought of how I felt that morning I put myself into a sugar coma. I'm sure it won't be my last binge but piecing the two together has shed new light on my situation of bingeing. My headaches KILL when I get them. Is it worth the torture and the havoc I put my body through when I binge? No......but I will take one day at a time. :help: Bear with me supporters and thanks for all your listening ears!!

2. samijo

samijo New Member

I'm on page 10 of this thread and will read the rest later tonight, but just wanted to chime in..

It's so nice to know that I'm not alone and that this is a REAL thing. On the other hand, it's really scary and makes me wonder how serious my "issue" is.

Today I ate a bag of hershey kisses, half a bag of chips and starburts in one sitting, about 25 minutes. Did I even WANT it? Not really. It's just became a habit for me and making me sick to my stomach and preventing me from reaching so many of my goals.

3. 2009public

2009public Member

New coach/trainer gave me a 3week mealplan to get started and supplement list shows a fat burner. I know better than to take that, yet, I can't seem to walk away from the banana nut muffins right now. weird.

4. bush1212

bush1212 New Member

I read your post Erik and i found it very interesting as well as informative. Cravings for food should be controlled in order to stay healthy and also maintain a healthy weight. Food addiction can be dealt with doing a proper exercise as well as healthy workout. This can help stay in shape and live healthily.

5. TechieChic

TechieChic New Member

Wow is all I can say. I haven't gone through all pages, but the stories I've read I can directly relate to. I've learned not to keep trigger foods in the house. There are days when I come home from work and will open and close the pantry door wishing something sweet will appear. I used to have a weakness for sweet cereal (frosted flakes, cinnamon toast crunch). I could eat 2 to 3 bowls, but would sneak and do it. My husband would find my candy stashes in my car and still does when it's near TOM. I feel so bad and ashamed. But I work hard daily fighting the urge and silencing that little voice (I call her "fatgirl") that's encouraging me to eat. It's comforting to know those whose body I want to emulate also have the same struggles as myself. I know that this isn't a journey I struggle alone. I look forward to continuing to read about the struggles and successes of people's relationship with food. My eyes are being opened.

6. amandarobbie

amandarobbie New Member

Wow, need to take more time to read through, but definitely loving all of the support. It's comforting to know that I am not alone. My husband has not found any of my hidden items (usually empty packages!), but I nearly have panic attacks when I think about getting caught...
    As far as anyone is concerned, I eat super healthy. So much shame and guilt!!!

7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Time to stop hiding food and come out with it :)

8. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

My husband has finally realized that their are better ways to make me happy then to come home with a lb. of chocolate covered peanuts. When he saw that I was REALLY trying to not eat the junk that I did he dug his feet in to help me. I still have the slip sometimes but not nearly as often and I do hide that from everyone, (except those here!). It took me only one time asking him to please not bring home anymore junk for me, to stop doing it. He always did it because he knew how much I loved the stuff but when I was trying to control my binges (which he really doesn't know how bad they are), he helped me out. My husband isn't a binge eater but he loves food to the point of feeling like he wants to puke. That is his euphoria getting to that state, so he can relate to my eating issues. Sometimes it does help to get it out in the open where ppl that are surrounding you can actually help you, even though they don't have the same issues as you or maybe don't even understand it. On the other hand, when you have it hidden so long ppl don't think you have a problem because they have never seen you binge or overeat or purge or whatever it is. So they find it hard to believe especially when they do see you eat, it's usually something healthy so they can't fathom you eating something bad or so much of it. After I quit eating so much junk and controlling my binges (somewhat) over the last year, I have shrunk in size quite a bit. I am not a big girl but went from a 6 to a 2-4 in size and everytime I see my sil, she's like, "what's wrong with you!! Why are you so skinny!!! How are you losing sooo much weight!" Like I'm doing something wrong!! The only thing I have changed is my intake on the junk and binges but since she doesn't know that I ever had an eating problem, she can't fathom me losing wt. or my body changing. She's only ever seen me always working out and eating healthy. I do keep my eating issues pretty much to myself but I do have a couple of friends that have the same issues so they can relate to me so they are my shoulders too. The point of this post was to go along with Ileens post and come out with it. You don't have to tell everyone, just those that are close to you that can maybe help you. Those that care about you will support you and do the best they can to help you. AND......there is always >>>>>>> US! We are always here to listen and do what we can to help and support you!! Be strong!!

9. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

I had a 'hidden' candy drawer and felt the same way. I did away with it after my last bad binge. The girls on here urged me to just get rid of it! (the candy), so I did....drawer and all!!!

10. AWAaviatrix

AWAaviatrix New Member

For years my husband and I would go out to eat and it was always such a down experience for me as I'd gobble up my entire plate while he would be making comments mid meal about how much food there was, how full he was and how he wouldn't have to eat again until the next day, even if we were having breakfast at the time. It was so hard to enjoy eating with him as I always felt so judged. Maybe rightly so. I ended up hiding a lot of my eating at home, including normal meals to try to not feel that way. I'd put sweets in the back of the pantry for a midnight raid and throw away wrappers in the outside trash can. I enjoyed eating, still do, but it was the result of eating to much and gaining weight that I think drove me. Being bigger shut off a lot of emotions inside me. This allowed me to tune out many of my relationship issues but it also made me dislike myself even more for how I looked. Bad cycle. Change for me didn't come until a friend who I finally shared my feelings with pointed out what I was doing to myself. Light bulb! That helped me realized I could only control me, not what others did in their life and that what they did didn't have to affect how I took care of me. Getting older has helped too. A lot of things that I thought were important just aren't now.
    These days I feel like I eat all the time but it is mostly healthy food and I don't hide it. I'm not the fat girl pigging out. I work out and I'm allowed to eat without feeling guilty about it so I keep telling myself. If I indulge I may have an ugh moment but I don't hide what I'm doing anymore. Self image is still hard for me but that is another topic.

11. Alex Ray

Alex Ray New Member

I have often though I might have a food addiction. Mine is to dairy, particularly yoghurt, ice cream, ricotta and cottage cheese, whipped cream, cheese, not so much milk so I think it is the texture more than anything else. Although I have heard talk about caseo-morpheins (some milk proteins), being a possible cause for low grade addictions to dairy. Have you ever read much on this Erik?

12. drama5

drama5 Member

Alcohol is my trigger.... seem to resist for work reasons but when the weekend comes round it buggers me up..... :-(

13. Texaschick

Texaschick Member

I have an 8yo daughter & I never want her to have the issues with food that I have.When I skip dessert, I say I'm too full, & it's great if I can just stay out of the sugary treats I have in the house for my kids and husband, but I wonder if she notices that sometimes I buy her a brand new bag of iced cookies, and the next day they're gone...

14. Doyle

Doyle New Member

Sugar is a huge trigger for me, I guess this explains how I can eat a dozen cookies, I just crave more once I have one. I'm not sure I'm an addict but I too definitely have some issues!

15. Isabella

Isabella New Member

It's so weird. I never binge on unhealthy, sugary stuff. My biggest triggers are nuts, dairy and rice/rice cakes ... I feel like a freak. Wonder if there is a cure for this. I avoid these foods for a couple of days, and then I just go to the store and buy them, thinking they might work this time :blink:

16. Oduwe

Oduwe Member

sometimes i think i am a fod addict.. its so difficult to control!! :(

17. Kristyjanz

Kristyjanz New Member

Struggling terribly. 9 months of contest diet with 2 very poor diets and training regimens from 2 different trainers. I have officially developed a binge eating disorder. I was to compete this coming weekend, but realized enough is enough. The binges are happening more frequently and getting bigger and bigger. My mood sucks, I'm depressed. Worst binge to date was today. 5500 calories total for today. Too much cardio, weight training and too few calories for 9 months has screwed me up royally. I never had an issue with food before. It's going to be a long road to recovery. Attempted to reverse diet. Lasted 2 days on 1200 cals then binged again today. I know 1200 cals is nothing but its a step up from the cals i was eating. Dumb dumb dumb. Upping cals to 1500 tomorrow and going to see how that goes. Ill sacrifice some fat gains to just feel normal again. After my binge I'm 142 lbs. I have gained over 10 lbs in less then a week, mostly water weight I know, but a small amount of fat around my abdomen, which i've never had before. I've also cut out cardio except for HIIT (15-20min) sessions 2x week. Weights only 3x week now, lifting heavy with low reps. I need to get a grasp in this. Out of control :( any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated!

18. deedeey

deedeey Member

I just wanted to say I'm sorry. My heart goes out to you.

19. AWAaviatrix

AWAaviatrix New Member

You should go talk with your Doctor about your eating habits. They can refer you to a good behavioral psychologist. Talking with one will be the best thing for you and you'll get tools to help you break this cycle. Maybe an online support group can help you too. I'm glad you realize this isn't good for your health. That is the first start towards positive change. Wishing you all the best. You can get through this but don't feel you have to do it alone.

20. deedeey

deedeey Member

Is LBC aware? Do they have any suggestions or help perhaps with getting you On a good sound plan?