Food Addiction ...

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Erik, Sep 4, 2007.

1. pink!ron

pink!ron New Member

I just read through this thread, and it was VERY enlightening, and all too familiar...I've always had a food addiction. I've told my boyfriend this before and he never believes me. When i was 14 (and ate like any 14 year old girl generally would, ie refined processed foods, no knowledge of proper nutrition etc) i found that everytime i ate i just could not stop eating...so i figured, if i never start i dont have to worry about stopping. Then i developed anorexia. This experience led me to the gym, and to expanding my knowledge on proper eating training etc...now im 22. I've discovered i have an addiction to sugar. I've always told people that i dont eat sugar because it acts like a drug to me, so its great to see this thread and know im not "crazy." I took the principle i came up with when i was 14 and used it again, just in a smarter way. And now i havent eaten anything sugar (desserts, dairy, baked goods etc) for two years. I ate myself sick for the last time and thought...if everytime i take a bite i cant stop, then im never gonna take a bite. Abstinence is key i believe. You could wave a piece of cake in my face, and its not a problem of willpower or self control for me until i take a bite. Once i take that first bite i get shaky, extremely irritable, and stressed if i dont give my body more. So at that point i quit. I have the desire, but not the craving until i take a bite of the trigger food. sometimes i feel confident that id be able to control myself if i allowed myself to have a bite, but in the back of my mind i KNOW what will happen, so i just dont start.

Just like Erik said:

"According to what I've read, you need to remove the trigger foods completely. You can't have just a little ...

It's just like an alcoholic. Having just one drink is risky"

2. Well, now I officially know I'm a food addict..:oops:

I'm really trying to find a balance. Actually, I think I may just have to start cutting down on my treat meals again. I never craved junk when I would go through my "clean eating" periods. I can go for MONTHS straight without touching sugar/refined stuff, and be totally fine. But since I start adding them back in, though in moderation, I crave stuff WAY too much now. And I find that my cheat meals go overboard, despite me trying to control them.

It's like you said...1 bite is too much, and 1000 isn't enough. I think I want to limit myself to something ONCE per week, relatively "healthy", and fit it into my macros. I know that if I say, "this meal is free", my past ED comes out to play and says "eat as much as you want"...and THAT'S when it goes downhill for me. Then the guilt...disgust...annoyance at "letting myself go". It's a battle, really.

But if I work something in, I have the satisfaction of knowing I'm in COMPLETE control, that it's OKAY to eat what I'm eating, and I'm NOT going to over-do it. So I think that's more psychologically benefiting to me than actually having a FREE meal, where I don't count. Knowing that I don't have to count the food I'm eating doesn't calm me, it makes me ANXIOUS. Which in itself is sort of an ED behavior, but I think it's a little less damaging.

Now, it's different if I go OUT to eat...because I can't technically overdo, unless I want to pay $50 for my meal. But I hardly go out to eat, so all my free meals are at home...which leads to binges...

Etc. I'm rambling. You get the point.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  3. chrysalis1

chrysalis1 No Matter What

I know this is an old post but this is what my struggle has been and hindered my progress, it iis the overeating that triggers more overeating that I am working at abstaining from.... going to keep reading ..............

4. chrysalis1

chrysalis1 No Matter What

Anyone still dealing with food addiction? I am addressing my binge eating and the posts here have been so helpful. I tried support groups, I just could not commit to some of the philosophies and could not make some of the concepts make sense to me , and believe me I tried different groups over the years.

It is good to know that others who weight train have these struggles and that they can be overcome.

5. Krissy

Krissy New Member

Compensatory behavior, or contemplating it?

Can someone share examples of these?

6. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

compensatory can be purging, withholding calories, adding more exercise/cardio or all..

Contemplating is thinking about , or over whelming thoughts to do so..but not actually doing.

7. Krissy

Krissy New Member

Thank you Ileen.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  8. Snoopyroo

Snoopyroo New Member

My name is Colleen and I know I am a Food Addict. I just called it Binge Eating. A secret problem I've lived with and could never explain enough to help people understand what I go through on an emotional/physical level. I just did my best and put up a good fight. I've lost 80+ pounds (still counting), but it isn't until recent that I've completely changed my diet. My binges have been under control and when I do eat more than usual, I don't feel quite as bad.

9. Erik

Erik Admin

Congrats on the 80-lbs lost. That's awesome.

Good to have you here.

10. shimmeringpearl

shimmeringpearl Member

Ah yes, been there. There was a time when I would weigh hourly. I am down to a few times a week in the morning. I was just telling my Aunt last week that I think I am going to try to go a month without weighing bc I noticed that when I didn't look at the scale the pounds dropped.

11. Amrn65

Amrn65 Member

Trigger foods get me going....like cereal. I love cereal and can easily eat a box in one day. But, I don't constantly obsess about it, but I do have moments of obsession when my cravings are high...especially week prior to my TOM!!!!!!

12. Kalacpck

Kalacpck New Member

I am Deff. a food addict. Until recently (very recently) I have struggled to eat healthy and maintain my weight. I would do good for sevral weeks eating healthy and training 5-6 days a week, one break in concentration or motivation ( bad day,TOM,sad,mad,bored) would lead to ONE off plan bite which would turn in to what can I eat? and How can I eat it without anyone noticing? Its like bulmia without the purging. I would eat and eat and eat until I felt physically ill. Then be mad at myself for losing control which then would lead me to eat more. Then the next day because of the sugar and refined carbs I would have terrible cravings for more. Its a vicious cycle. I have learned that I can't have those things, I have to eat 5-6 healthy meals a day which keeps me full and not obcessing about food and allowing my mind to wonder. I have to exercise weekly but I have to do it in a way that I enjoy and can adjust according to my busy and ever changing schedule. I find that if I try to do a program that is too strict I start to resent it after a couple of weeks. I have also learn that im not a competitor I have never competed and im not sure I ever will so I shouldn't feel like I have to eat or train like one 24/7 365. I want to be the best me I can, beautiful on the inside and out. You have to do what works for you everyone is diff.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tiffany

tiffany New Member

Hi My Name is Tiffany and I am a food addict

14. trinny12

trinny12 New Member

I'm the same way with nut butters. I cannot have them in the house at all! I can go thru a whole jar given the right opportunity!

15. Andreglok

Andreglok Member

I thought it was just me with this problem, but lately i cant stop eating, and carbs and nut butters is all i want, back in my country i did not used to have this problem but here in the US, is just ridiculous, all i think is about food, well 3 months ago i was i a decent shape 125lb for my height was fine, then i had my little sister visiting me, and is when all started again, she ate ice cream, pizza, all the junk food that i was not eating, i could see muscle definition in my body, now i feel like a whale.
    I am starting my good habits of healthy eating today, since today is my b-day I want a new me by next year, i want to feel proud for the hard work that i am about to do! I will put that Peanut butter in the trash in few minutes :)
    Reading this posts will help me through my new journey!!

16. Kelly Davis

Kelly Davis New Member

I can't believe there aren't more posts on this subject! I'm new here and just read about food addiction. Looks like I'm a food addict!! I not only binge, but also think (obsess)about what I'm gonna eat, when I'm gonna eat! AAarrrggghhh! I wish I could turn it off!!

17. keciakelly

keciakelly Member

Hi!! I am Kecia and I am a recovering food addict.
    I have had several relapses in the past, but take it day by day. My weekness was candy. Not chocolate, but sweet sugary Willy Wonka, skittles, and such type candy. I also liked cakes and cookies and could never eat just one serving. I would always eat when noone was looking. If you saw me eat a few pieces of candy, you better believe, I was going to consume the entire bag when you were not looking. I have worked hard over the last year and a half to lose almost 40 pounds. I actually gave up sweets for 4 years. I was actually paranoid of them and thought they would make me ill if I ate them. Well, when I turned 40 last year, I felt entitled to a small peice of cake. not bad. did not have any sweets for months after that. but that feeling came back. I started snacking on a few here and there. The pants and the bras were getting tighter and I was spiraling out of control. Needless to say, I was able to kick the habit again and am not sure when or if I will introduce them again.

18. lesliemirinda

lesliemirinda Member

Well its taken me three days but I've read all 43 pages of this thread and I've experienced/still experience 99% of all of the topics talked about but I'm working on it...and I'm sooooooooooo glad I'm not alone...thank you all for sharing!

19. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

20. drea

drea Member

I'm 100% a food addict. I've been binge eating as long as I can remember - a 'closet' binger - I never binge in front of people, but do regularly when I am alone. Chocolate and baked goods (cinnamon buns; cookies; cakes) will set me off. I crave these foods everyday and think about them constantly. My cravings are SO intense at times I cannot stand it - and there is NOTHING that gets rid of them. I've gone out of my way at times to acquire these foods if I don't have any in the house (which is usually the case). I'll tell myself, 'oh I'll just have a little bite to ease the craving' - and then all hell breaks loose. You would not believe the amount of calories I can consume within minutes....thousands and thousands, literally.

And as mentioned, along with the food addiction, I have THE lowest self esteem. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I HATE my body. I fight with that refection in the mirror more than anything. It totally controls me and affects everything I do. It's especially bad after binging - the total disgust I feel, the degrating self talk that follows, the crying and self loathing, and in the past I limited my food intake and did extra hours of cardio to try and 'make up' for all the calories I ate. I cannot tell you how many times I had gone to the gym late at night, going like mad on every piece of cardio equipment and crying the entire time, trying to get the fat and calories off my body.....and of course I knew that was impossible.

I started on a program with Amy a few weeks ago.... I've had some highs and lows - I've lost some weight and inches, but still struggle with binging, and I know that my progress has been slow because of it - but I'm realizing (thanks to Amy) that it's all a process, and I will continue to struggle, but I keep trying to take it one day at a time and keep learning things about myself. The good side of things is that I don't 'purge' anymore with limiting food or doing tons of cardio - but instead I try to get back on track as soon as I can. With the Christmas season upon us (and all the goodies), I'm finding it harder and harder to stay on course, but I'm trying to stay strong and keep in mind that I WANT to be healthy!

• Like Like x 1