Food Addiction ...

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by Erik, Sep 4, 2007.

1. chrysalis1

chrysalis1 No Matter What

:wave:

2. jimbob12

jimbob12 Guest

Believe it or not, the only food I'm addicted to is brussels sprouts - I guess I'm just lucky, though other people might disagree!

3. Belle72

Belle72 New Member

I searched the archives on binge eating because I have this problem. The binging become pronounced after my first competition and now 6months later, I'm doing it because of emotional stressors. Interesting thread to read. I think the key here is that I must remove all processed carbs and sugary foods period. My PWO should only be a fruit because the PWO "treat" can trigger a binge.

4. Belle72

Belle72 New Member

I just read through this thread because I've been in a binging rut. But I'd like to put my 2cents in... I am an anesthesiologist, see bariatric patients and have a few coworkers who went through gastric restrictive surgery. I attended a bariatric conference and found out that surgery is not a guarantee of weight loss or maintenance of weight once it's lost. I see most of these patients lose some weight but still look fat. I'm sure part is lack of exercise, but interesting to know that if they are hungry they will find a way to get the calories in...often times in liquid supplements like protein shakes, yogurts...and there IS a way of eating high fat/ high sugar poor nutrition foods even with surgery.

5. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Fruit is not ideal PWO. If the treats trigger you then stick with something like cream of rice, oats, rice,or potato anything complex instead of snacky.. Good luck :hug:

6. Girlybodybuilder

Girlybodybuilder New Member

Wow! I've never heard of pro-ho's! It never ceases to amaze me what I learn here!

7. Girlybodybuilder

Hi, I'm Bonnie. And I'm a food addict. I have been struggling these last few months, going strong on keeping my nutrition tight and, as I'm seeing a pattern develop: the 4th day "crash and burn". I have cleared every tempting thing out of my house but still seem to always find something "creative" to binge on. And it is ALWAYS something sweet and carb filled. It's devastating to my diet!

8. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

what does your diet look like that you do maintain/hold tight for the 3-4 days?

9. Muggins

Muggins New Member

Wow, this is fascinating. I am a food addict and didn't realize so many others were also. I've been binging for over a week now. Just finished off an ice cream bar, chocolate bar, beer, popcorn... I could keep going. I keep a strict and healthy diet most of the time, but sometimes I just fall off and go haywire, gaining all my weight back. The ups and downs are so frustrating. Glad I'm not alone in this and hoping to learn a ton from reading through all these posts!

10. Girlybodybuilder

Think I might be setting myself up for failure somehow? I can grab my log and go through a couple weeks and give you an idea....

11. Therese

Therese New Member

Wow, I can relate here!

12. poppet

poppet New Member

Im new to this forum but the more that I read the more that it is reassuring to see that the things you go through i.e addiction/craving certain foods is happening to others too.....so Im not just losing the plot.

13. DCrawford

DCrawford New Member

First step that I made earlier this year was changing the way that I think about food and alcohol, especially since I am now back in school full-time. I don't want to hear "Oh, that test was so hard let's go grab a drink and celebrate." or "This week was so rough, let's go get some comfort food." I've tried to stop studying at food places because when I am hungry, which I will be at some point since I would be there for hours, I would choose things that I shouldn't. If I can get ahead of the cravings, I make better choices. I really need to stop being lazy and start prepping my food 1-2x a week. That is goal # 1.

14. TLynn1

TLynn1 Member

Reading thru different posts on this thread and wanted to reply. A lot of the ones I am finding I can relate to are years old so I am not sure if those people
    are still on the forum. I will say it helps me personally so much to see that "food addiction" or "disordered eating" is something that others experience. I have
    mostly struggled for years with under-eating/control of lack of food. That was my thing-Strict diets. I never really had the binge problems or problems with this until 2 years ago which was a time that I was coming off of years of competing and also major stress in my personal life. I HATE IT so much. I tried so many times to take care of it on my own, which sitting her 2 years later and still dealing wih bouts of it-I can't believe it.

I just started working with Erik/LBC and am hoping this will help me. Some times I feel so alone in this space and dont find it easy to talk to people about it-Especially because so many people "look up" to me and am this perfect dedicated workout chick. You know what I mean? I would love to chat with anyone that is willing to share their story or needs support. Message me, email or just repy here. This topic is so important and support is key.

:love81:

15. Fit and Fab

Fit and Fab New Member

Food addiction is found to be psychological in nature. Food is used to cover up or patch up emotional issues. Like drinking when the exam is quite difficult, or indulging on chocolates when a relationship is broken. There are certain ways on how to deal with food addiction. 1st, identify the trigger foods. For some people it can be anything sweet, for some it can be salty, or anything. 2nd, reduce the amount of trigger food intake. If you feel like eating chocolates, get some but not too much. If you find it hard to resist, look for alternatives such as fruits and vegetables. 3rd, exercise! it helps your brain to produce endorphins, also called natural pain killers. Studies have shown that endorphins also help in modulation of appetite.

16. Moreniia3

Moreniia3 New Member

would love to! something i struggle with regularly as well - message me or reply to this forum anytime!!!

17. CaliBurr

CaliBurr New Member

Tlynn1 I totally relate to your post especially the part about people looking up to you I find this makes me feel more guilty... I suffer with anxiety which is related to a fear of being sick in public which in turns means if I feel nauseas I won't want to leave the house or follow my diet as generally when I'm ill toast is the only thing I can eat that stops me feeling sick. Problem is I believe I have a wheat intolerance so once I've eaten toast I'm bloated feel crap so then eat more crap! When I compete my diet is more strict but still not as strict as it should be as previous comp diets have been so restricted I've ended up bingeing its horrible as my brain so desperately wants to eat healthier and stop reaching for the processed foods when I'm emotional.. I agree with you that support is key.

Do you find if some areas of your life are going through troubles you take control by controlling your diet?

18. Oduwe

Oduwe Member

Nice post!!

19. It's the worst feeling ever! Bingeing non-stop with multiple trigger foods all afternoon/evening. I'm hoping with PWO and free meals I can learn some balance. I have been binge eating for the past couple months as soon as I finished my last show. Gained 12 pounds and have felt miserable since. I am a new client of LBC (literally 3 days in) and am hopeful and confident (ok, and scared) for the future. For my health, for my body and for some peace!

20. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

This was me back in 2009. I had a severe food addiction to Hershey's Kisses. I would work a 12 hour patrol shift at night. At the beginning of EVERY shift, I would go to the store and purchase a large bag of Kisses. This would be the 10 serving, 200 cals/serving bag. So in essence, 2000 calories per bag. That entire bag would be gone before the end of my shift. I wasn't sick from it. I actually wanted more and would repeat the pattern every single shift. This lasted for about 6-7 months.

It was around Easter 2009 when I finally got it under control. By this time, I was now doing 2 bags of kisses per night. On the night it all stopped, I had bought 2 bags of kisses and 1 bag of the Hershey Mini Easter eggs. I was through my first bag of kisses and halfway through the second bag, and I still had 6 more hours to go on my shift. I was so disgusted with myself. I couldn't understand why I had started doing this in the first place. While I was still in my "coked out euphoria," I sent a group message to everyone on my squad. I told them I was a chocolate addict, and I needed to get it under control. I told them I was getting rid of all the chocolate in my car and if anyone wanted it, to see me. Of course, it was gone in minutes. Since that day, I have not had a Hershey Kiss. I see them all the time in candy jars at work, but I stay away from them because I don't know if 1 will lead to 1000.

At the time, I was a marathon runner. I think that is the only reason I didn't gain 20lbs from my bingeing. I never binged at home, so I started thinking my job was my trigger. It was like a coping mechanism to get me through the night. Incidentally, I transferred positions shortly after I gave away the kisses. Perhaps that helped keep my will strong?