Food Addiction ...

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by Erik, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

NO I was saying do what you said. Not for YOU to do it.

2. LynnP

LynnP This will be a good year!

Ok ok you two :chairshot:!!! I reposted it to the nutrition section, and it is officially be my first post to my journal :weightlift2: look for it, I hope you'll find the humor in the title, I cracked myself up with it. I felt....clever! :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  3. FitGurl

FitGurl Member

Ya this is me. Excellent thread.

4. FitGurl

FitGurl Member

:yeahthat:

5. rene7465

rene7465 Member

Hi, I am Rene' and sometimes chocolate compulsively gets into my mouth despite the negative consequence it will have on me! No really good info. I don't have the above. But do sometimes become overwhelmed with the need to eat something sweet, usually when carb. restricted...despite how I know I shouldn't!

6. GraceGirl

GraceGirl His Beautiful Paradox

Try making a pro-ho (protein powder mixed with water and then nuked for about 30 seconds). It totally kills my sweet tooth, and if I want something chocolate, I use PVL's peaut butter chocolate, mix it with some Walden Farms chocolate dip, nuke, and I have a chocolate brownie.

I could not make it without my pro-ho's! :D (OK, so maybe I could, but it's certainly MUCH easier!!)

7. rene7465

rene7465 Member

Hey thank you I will try that:yum:

8. jckslinks

jckslinks New Member

Hello: My name is JC and I am a food addict

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wells

Wells Member

Hi JC (mom) Welcome!:wave:

10. Tearose

Tearose Focused and On Fire

wow thats me to a T...
    So umm...how do we fix it?

11. orbie

orbie Failure is NOT an option

Wow. Great thread. I think I have some of these tendencies but not all. I suppose with food addiction it's a mind over matter game. I suppose it's that way for all addictions really!!

12. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

:bump:

I wanted to post in here because I have been having some great discussions with a friend of mine who had a gastric bypass a couple of years ago and is still 200 lbs. We got talking about food and nutrition and given her stomach is now the size (roughly) of a large egg and that her intestines have been re-routed (which makes her absorb slightly less of the calories), I wanted to hear what she would say.
    This led into a huge discussion on the mental side of weight loss. She had no idea mentally she would have such a struggle. She told me a story of going to a restaurant with her husband and ordering soup and barely making a dent in it due to being full. She was so upset. Huh? I was puzzled at first but then after talking more it made sense. She felt as if she had been 'jipped' or ripped off by not being able to eat more. Its like she had a sense of accomplishment by 'finishing' her food in the past.
    It was rather interesting how mentally we are controlled by foods. It kind of reminded me of sometimes when we cheat we treat it like our 'last supper' and have ridiculous amounts of things justified by saying we might not have it in a long time. Prior to dieting, I never thought this way. I would have my brownie and be done with it.

It goes to show that no surgery will guarantee success.

I'm not sure where I am going with this post :p but wanted to get others feedback on this.

13. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

Her response makes sense to me. Some of see food as a major source of gratification and comfort. I feel content when I am full.

Easier said than done but it helps to try to "move" those feelings of gratification to something else. I have yet to find something that is equally fulfilling but am trying to find substitutes other than food that simulate this feeling.

14. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

I agree.

I've been a lil MIA from the boards lately...dealing with food addiction/days and days of overeating issues myself...for the greater part of the past year.

I slowly conditioned myself to get relief from stress/boredom/anxiety by eating. And, noticed how strong I was almost "pulled" into the kitchen or convenience stores when I was getting those feelings. If I didn't give in I'd have a hell of a fight. It's crazy.

I have found lately I can't even have 'treats' or sugary, sweet, fatty, 'feel good' food...I'll just continue to over eat it for days after.

I've found it much easier now to just not start at all than to stop.

15. simshalmed

simshalmed New Member

It's just your mind tendency, and this over eating addiction can be controlled, if you have that control on yourself.

16. maddix2010

maddix2010 New Member

I agree with you... But my problem is eating to much, the food itself is usually not bad for me, but the amount is where I get into trouble. I just fee hungry all the time! Especially in late afternoon to when I go to bed.

17. Erik

Erik Admin

Unfortunately, if you're trying to lose body fat, hunger tends to be something you have to accept as normal. Trying to always eat to counter it typically leads to well, no results.

It only makes sense that in a caloric deficit, most people will eventually deal w/ hunger.

18. NCKate

NCKate New Member

This is such a great thread! I never realized how much of an emotional connection I had to food and how much distorted thinking I had relating to food until I started with LBC. I'm learning so much! If you haven't read Mindless Eating yet, you really should do so!

19. tiff

tiff New Member

Hi My name is Tiff Im a food addict.... I def can relate to one bite and its all over with

20. krissy9876

krissy9876 Member

I hear you Tiff. Me too! Very consciously working thru it right now while I'm on the waitlist.