Finding Time to Workout with New Baby

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by smartie19, Jan 9, 2014.

1. smartie19

smartie19 New Member

My sister recently had a baby and is now cleared for activity. She wants to work on losing some of the baby weight and just being more active again but is struggling to find the time. Most other moms we know either don't work full time or had additional help that got them some workout time. She is back to work full time and is struggling to find time for even 30 minutes of activity at home between feedings, getting things ready for the next day and sleeping when it is possible. It's not a question of her desire/commitment level, she truly doesn't know how to make the time and scheduling work yet.

I've not yet had children so I didn't know what to suggest or how other busy moms find the time. I know people do it, I just don't know how!
    Any suggestions/ideas/tips?

2. Asemesky

Asemesky New Member

I have three (6.5, 4, and 11 months). It is NOT easy. She should really focus on her eating first. Once that is set to go for the next day, she can see if she can fit/has the energy to stay up an extra 20 minutes before bed and start with dumbbell/band/bodyweight work at home. Right now she should squeeze that baby as much as possible and eat as clean as she can. Good Luck!

3. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

My baby just turned 1. I've been waking up early every morning to get in my workouts. It's a lot easier to do them while the baby is asleep. I joined a 24 hours gym and started working out at 3:30 am. It took a lot of strength to drag myself out of bed that early. Especially because I was nursing and just plain tired. I got myself showered and put together my stuff for work before I wake the baby at 6am for daycare. When you're a new mom, it's so hard to try and do it at the end of the day. Too much unexpected stuff comes up, and before you know it, you either don't have time, or you just don't feel like it because you just want to finally sit down for a second and breathe.

4. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Key in diet.

Sleep is precious. End of day is tough as it can interfere with falling asleep (does me if too late) or energy/motivation.

I used to wake up early when my 5 boys were young/er..which can also be tough.. Lunch time an option?

5. GreekGirl

GreekGirl Member

I have two little ones. The only way it worked for me was to wake up at 5 am before anybody else because there wasn't any pattern with their sleep in the day to fit it in.

6. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

FIVE BOYS!!! WOW!

7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

:blush:
    ya.
    The hubby and I married young (18).
    Our boys, errrrrr men are spread out in age. Had our youngest when I was 37 (he'll be 15). I wanted one more love kids!

8. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

WOW, good for you! You could actually have the title "Wonder Women." lol.. I have one and I know how tough it is just with ONE.. lol.. I can't imagine five! I LOVE kids too, they're SO CUTE! I do want more but it's definitely tough but I guess you learn to handle it. I'm one of six so I know how it is to have siblings, its awesome. I couldn't imagine being an only child or not having anymore children. I guess we'll see where fait takes me... :)

9. Asemesky

Asemesky New Member