Figure Judging/Scoring Rules

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by joanneott, Sep 4, 2013.

1. joanneott

joanneott Happy to be here

Hi everyone, :wave:

I'm a little confused on the judging of Figure competitions. Let me use a hypothetical situation.

Jane enters Novice Class B Figure and places fourth. She is placed lower than another competitor, Suzanne, who comes in second. Jane then enters Open Figure Class D who also has Suzanne in the class, but this time, Jane places second and Suzanne places third.

Can this occur? I was always under the impression that if you place lower than one competitor in a particular class, you cannot place higher than that competitor in another class.

Have the rules changed?

Thanks much for your help.

2. megdonnelson

megdonnelson New Member

Unfortunately, there are no rules on this (at least not that I am aware of) in the NPC. This actually happens quite often in competitions, especially in masters vs open classes. I couldn't tell you why. It's can be a challenge trying to figure out the reasons behind certain placings in a competition.

3. joanneott

joanneott Happy to be here

Thanks for the reply, Meg. It is very confusing. I just saw in a recent competition where this sort of thing happened just as you mentioned: Masters vs. Open classes. Doesn't make sense to me. Oh well..... :confused: Thank you again!

4. shep67gs

shep67gs New Member

I have witnessed this before too. Maybe they just presented themselves better or worse in each class they were entered. It is the only thing that made sense to me.