Figure comp and tattoos?

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by kirstny, Sep 23, 2009.

1. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

I have 3 tattoos (you can see them in my pics in my journal).
    They're not terribly big nor are they in places that conceal my physique.
    I'm thinking I don't need to cover them for the show, considering I'll be so dark?
    Am I right on this?

2. toese

toese Lovin running in 2 day relays

Some people let their tattoos show but if you don't want them to show you need a heavy duty coverup. Jan Tana has one on their website.

http://www.jantana.com/index.php/competition-color/new-tattoo-cover-creme-and-corrector-palette.html

3. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

I would have no problem showing mine.

4. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

Does anyone know how it would impact judging and if there are certain federations that are more open to tattoos?

Especially one that is large and does detract from balance/physique (3/4 sleeve....very colorful).

5. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I think in reality it depends on the judges of that particular show. I think ones that make definition hard to see or cover important areas that effect symmetry are the ones to worry about. A 3/4 sleeve can potentially effect someone's symmetry just because it is unilateral maybe. But I dunno it may not either depending on lighting and all of that. It might hide some definition in the arm. I've seen competitors with lots of tattoos. I don't think either way it should be something that prevents you from competing if that is what you want to do. Covering them up often causes more of an issue than just leaving them be. I have a couple, on my calves (which aren't judged anyway :p) But yeah I've sometimes wondered if having them hurt me or not. Hard to know for sure.

6. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

Thanks. I still don't know if I want to compete but have thought about doing it once just for the experience. I really think covering it would cause more problems than it would solve. None of my others should be a problem.

7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly The Peanut Gallery

I get asked this question a lot because I have tattoos. And it will be interesting to see if perception shifts at all over the next few years because previously, large tattoos on women were less common (and so you just didnt' see it much on stage). Now as ink becomes more "acceptable" in our current culture, you see the occurrence of larger pieces on women becoming increasingly popular and thus filtering down into the competition area as athletes competing now in figure have ribcage tattoos or sleeves, etc.

Now a tattoo will definitely obscure muscularity. There's no denying that. I've been competing for years before I completed what is now one GIANT tattoo. I made hte effort to cover up my tattoo the first time i went back onstage with the new ink. I paid extra and had the tanning people use tattoo cover up (i believe Jan Tana) and then my spray tan went over top. When i went back for my second spray of tan, they had to re-do it because the stuff never really seemed to try and my tanning clothes dabbed it off. They said they would touch it all up for me the morning of the show once in my bikini.

The next day i woke up for the show, and it had all rubbed off. I still looked tanned, but my tattoos were NOT covered. And of course my lovely tanning "friends" were no where to be seen. At that point, what could i do? So i just went out anyway. I actually won my class that year (although I am in fitness so not 100% of the score is physique).

Last year, i did not try to cover the tattoos. Some of the judges were different, and i did not place well. Granted, i didn't have my A game anyway. But i honestly think it's just one of those things... some judges may not 'mind' tattoos, some might have a problem with them obscuring muscularity. It just is what it is! I would probably try covering them again if i knew a better product, in all honesty.

HOwever, i don't know any other current competitor who has more in than i do! HAHAHAH
    tattooage.jpg

8. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

You've got me beat. That's beautiful! :) I'll have to post pics of my different pieces...my sleeve still isn't complete. But considering its an 80s sleeve you can just imagine the colors and it starts on my shoulder/scapula with a huge Alf portrait.

9. Miss Silly

thanks :) I'd obviously love to see yours, as of course i love me some ink! A friend that competes here (went to BB from fitness) has a beautiful coloured sleeve and seems to not have any issues. I actually think the cover up she used worked pretty good for her, possibly cause a black tattoo is darker to color than a colored one. I need to ask her what product she used too. But regardless of tattoos, if you really want to compete, go for it. They may----or may not---- knock you down for it, but a competition is for yourself anyway ;-P and it would be rewarding in spite of whatever the judges thought of a tattoo.

10. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

It's obviously not finished yet. I couldn't find any current pics and you wouldn't believe how hard they were to take of myself. :) I'll have to track down some of my abs and thigh pieces.

Attached Files:

11. Miss Silly

WWOOOWWW loooove those! I love sleeves. And colour too! It was hard for me to not go colour but the artist i wanted to work with sticks with black/grey. I'm happy i stuck with him & the black/grey, but i do love me a colour piece! Definitely love to see more. How many hours to you figure you've spent under the gun so far? LOL

12. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

All my pieces...between 35-40 hours. Arm between 25-30 hours. There is A LOT of detail. :) I bet yours took a long time, any idea how long? When you find a great artist it's worth sticking with then. I doubt I'll ever use anyone else...atleast not anytime soon.

13. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

Dude is that Alf on your back?!

14. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

Yep. :) I have Alf, smurfs, ninja turtles, mario, rainbow brite, school house rock, a rubik's cube and "made in the 80s" so far.

15. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

Oh yeah...I forgot my garbage pail kid, Jim Nauseum.

16. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

OMFG I love it!!!! I used to have garbage pail kid stickers all over my bedroom door and all I wanted was for my name to be Tangerine!!!! :lol:

I freaking loved growing up in the 80's!

17. Miss Silly

WHere's your My LIttle Ponies?!?!??!??!? :)

LOL that is sooo awesome. Made in the 80's. I'd love to see the details, if you can get some closer pics, post em! LOL (maybe someone can help you take them hahah).

I worked with two different artists with mine. I switched halfway through but it actually worked out totally "just right" so i'm glad it happened the way it did. I'm guessing maybe about 30 hours total. Although the one artist was a bit slow, but i just let him do his thing LOL. I'd rather he get into his zone and take is time than rush hahah.

18. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

My artist is rather slow too...but I think it's because he puts so much detail into everything he does. He also does A LOT of shading.

I thought about my little ponies, also popples, pound puppies, california raisins, munchkins, thundercats, etc...not to even mention 80s music and toys!! There are just so many that I wish I could include. I told him if we weren't careful we would end up doing my entire body in 80's stuff.

I can probably pull some of the pictures from his fb page.

19. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

I just remembered that I had this one in my phone.

Attached Files:

20. kdbaker_05

kdbaker_05 Member

Some from his fb page. They are at different stages of being done, but his phone takes WAY better pictures. smurfs.jpg alf.jpg elbow.jpg pixel.jpg