Fatty Liver....

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Inatic, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

There's a few posts from a few members researching a fatty liver diagnosis.

Just wondering if there's any info on what causes it in someone who doesnt drink?

2. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

Don't know. Daddy has it, doesn't drink, isn't overweight, could be from the Enbrel, could be from the rheumatoid arthritis. :shrug:

3. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I know you can get fatty liver secondary to high cortisol levels. It is also occurs in people with diabetes.

4. Fit and Fab

Fit and Fab New Member

It is called Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) which results from the accumulation of fat (fatty infiltration) in the liver cells (hepatocytes). The term nonalcoholic is used because NAFLD occurs in individuals who do not consume excessive amounts of alcohol. The fat is composed of a certain type of fat called triglyceride that accumulates in tiny sacs within the liver cells. Other potential causes of fatty liver disease include medications, viral hepatitis, autoimmune or inherited liver disease, rapid weight loss, and malnutrition.

You may treat fatty liver naturally by having a healthy weight, getting rid of toxins in the body (plenty of water intake and exercise), antioxidants, and staying away from food rich in bad cholesterol and fats. Drinking a cup of tea in the evening may help to get rid of toxins and fats in the body.

5. Emma

Emma Member

My other half had a fatty liver and his cholesterol was not good either, his doctor gave him 6 months to get it in check before putting him on medication.

He doesn't drink, we suspect it was one of the medications he was taking for other conditions.

I read up on lowering cholesterol naturally and cut butter out of his diet and made him a porridge mixture of whole grain oats and lecithin granules which he has for breakfast and I also got him on to the fish oil.

He was already lifting weights regularly so exercise wasn't a problem.

6 months later everything came back in the clear and has remained so since then.

6. Inatic

did he have high cholesterol.
    dietary cholesterol doesnt cause high cholesterol.

7. Emma

Emma Member

Fatty liver was likely caused by meds, can't list them all, there have been many and they have long names but they are for bi-polar, epilepsy and depression.

The cholesterol was dietary and came down when diet was cleaned up, diet had gone south due to depression & cycling of meds to get it right. It was all related in one way or another.

8. Inatic

ah yes, is dietary but meant eating foods like yoke, butter etc doesnt per say raise chol. its the sloppy processed stuff that does it in combo with hi crap fat.

9. AMie

AMie Member

Hey, we did a lecture last year at Uni ( i just finished my Bsc in Nutrition) on fatty liver. From what I remember:

What may cause it: obesity and metabolic syndrome, rapid weight loss, protein malnutrition, total parental nutrition, medication, metabolic disorders (such as diabetes)

Most people with NAFLD have no symptoms and it is usually diagnosed by an abnormal blood test. An abnormal blood test may suggest NAFLD, then patients would usually move to an ultrasound, a CT scan or an MRI which can show if the liver is enlarged. However a scan can not definitely diagnose NAFLD. The most accurate way is with a liver biopsy but it is painful.

10. Inatic

none of those really fit the person.

11. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I have it. My doc says its highly genetic. Weird.

12. Inatic

Steph in a health group I 'play' in, there were some notes on PUFA's possibly 'causing' Alchoholic fatty liver and that sat fats helped 'cure' it. just thought it was interesting. I asked for one re Non AFL. Im sure something else will come up along the way. Maybe another 'avenue' to research.

13. Fit and Fab

Fit and Fab New Member

It may help to avoid unhealthy food. It may help to turn to those rich in fiber, and vitamins and minerals. Fiber is good in keeping good digestion and geting rid of unwanted fats in the body. A cup of green tea at night may also help a lot.

14. GrapeGorilla

GrapeGorilla New Member

I have it too. Doc doesn't know why, as I have none of the "normal" reasons, I was also told it could be genetic. Results in a high iron count in my blood which can be alleviated by donating. I thought maybe Creatine monohydrate might be related as it's the only real supplement I've ever taken (many years ago).

15. novamt

novamt Member

anorexia?

16. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I highly doubt creatine has anything to do with it. The liver is a tricky organ. I had it for a while, doesn't seem to be the case anymore. At least my enzymes aren't elevated anymore. I tool milk thistle for a long time and switched thyroid meds.