Extreme Thirst on Refeed Day

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by EnergyJoule, Jun 3, 2006.

1. EnergyJoule

EnergyJoule Well-Known Member

A few hours into my refeed, and later through the night while I'm sleeping, I become extremely thirsty. The best feeling I can compare it to is "cotton mouth" (post hangover). What's the explanation behind this?

2. Anatomy

Anatomy New Member

my understanding is that it takes a lot of water to digest carbs so it could be that; are you taking in more sodium during your refeeds?

Either way, why not just drink more water and be happy :)

3. EnergyJoule

EnergyJoule Well-Known Member

Ah, that makes sense.

Because I'm automatically taking in a lot more extra carbs and overall calories I'm positive that I'm also taking in more sodium than usual.

Believe me, I've learned to take in a lot of extra H2O on my refeed days.

4. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

Glycogen takes water with it.

5. NooHoo

NooHoo Member

When you refeed, you are refilling your muscle glycogen. Along with the glycogen that gets stored from the carbs, your body will also store something like 1-3g of water for every 1g of glycogen.
    So, It's very important to drink a LOT of water during a refeed, which I know from experience is the last thing you want to do when stuffing carbs in your face.

6. christie

christie Senior Member

I made the mistake of guzzlin' about 2L of water down quickly after I stuffed my face with carbs all night. Let's just say I couldn't move for like 20 mins...VERY painful :lol:

7. Anatomy

Anatomy New Member

I'll bet you had amazing pumps the next day in the gym!