Extracts and Such

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Blondell, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Do you all use them when leaning out (specifically for a show)? I've noticed that one of the ones that I use has sugar in it. What about spice blends that contain sugar? I've also noticed there is sugar in many spice blends at the store. I'd love to try some of the spices but am concerned about the sugar content. Am I overreacting? :unsure: I have quite a bit of bf to lose for my comp and want to try and do things as "right" as I can. :)

2. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of this boils down to portion control. A few sprinkles of greek seasoning that has like 3 calories a servings because of the sugar isn't going to make a hoot of a difference if you stick to a servings

3. Sportsgirl

Sportsgirl Well-Known Member

I agree. Generally I don't buy the spices that contain sugar - I usually get home and mix the spice with splenda instead.

Probably the closer you get to a show, the less you'd want to use something like this. Then again, I've never done a show so I'm just talking out of my ass.

4. Ko

Ko Senior Member

Have a good herb/spice selection at home and make your own blends.

There are plenty of good rubs that have no sugar, but tons of flavor.

One of my steak rubs:

1 parts thyme
    1 part Rosemary
    1 part garlic powder
    1 part onion powder
    1 part kosher salt
    1 part black pepper

For chicken and fish:

1 part ground corrinader
    1 part ground cumin
    S&P

• Like Like x 1
  5. Leah

Leah Well-Known Member

I use extracts right up to final week.

6. abercrombie3f

abercrombie3f Member

as far as extracts go, DaVinci's vanilla does a great job acting as sweetner and flavoring and ZERO sugars!!!!!

7. Brandy

Brandy Refreshed

I use Davinci syrups all the time. I do think they are sucralose though. Not sure about that and the prep though.
    :lol: But you know about my issues right now.

8. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

I used extracts until a week out.

9. Robben

Robben Well-Known Member

Simply put don't overreact, don't over think it; It's okay to do the spices - just keep it real...

10. Blondell

yum!!

thanx everyone! :)

11. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

McCormick makes a new turkey rub that I have been using on a skinless/boneless turkey breast (even comes with a pop out "I'm done" button). The rub contains:

salt, spices and herbs (including thyme, rosemary, sage), onion, paprika, garlic, and annatto (for color).

It's easy-- you can rub your turkey or chicken down with a tiny bit of EVOO and then rub the rub on. :D Bake for approx 45 mins and wa lah. YUMMY.

12. firstchik

firstchik Wagon? what wagon?

Isn't there another syrup (besides Davinci) that most of you use? I thought it started with a "T" but for the life of me i can't remember it.

Anyone know if Whole Foods sells the syrup?

13. Blondell

something like 'torani'

14. AugustGirl

AugustGirl Member

yes, Torani syrups (I can't offer an opinion since I avoid artificial sweeteners but I think these are pretty popular)

here is the website:

http://www.torani.com/index.shtml

I don't think Whole Foods sells this (I've never seen it there and I shop at WF almost daily)

15. firstchik

firstchik Wagon? what wagon?

what about davinci syrup? does WF sell that??

16. AugustGirl

AugustGirl Member

I'm pretty sure they don't. As with the Torani syrups, I've never seen them at my local Whole Foods (in Boston) but it's possible that other stores in different locations carry them. You can always purchase these online :)

17. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

WF doesn't sell anything like that...they won't sell any 'fake' stuff.