Drastic Career Change?

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by jrb1980, May 31, 2006.

1. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever made a drastic career change? I am really thinking about this right now and find it is all consuming. Your experiences???

2. Erik

Erik Admin

From law to what?

3. quickie

quickie Active Member

She's a lawyer?

4. jrb1980

I am thinking about starting a business is pre and post natal nutrition. I am two courses away from having a degree in nutrition too (i know we all know that means nothing in terms of knowledge but it does mean practice insurance and credibility. it was my under grad). I have done my homework and am confident in it being successful (admitt big pay cut)...the thing is I am scard, scared, scared BUT fascinated by this field and always have been. Didn't persue this route in the first place based on $, and because I like the "idea" of being a lawyer.

5. Feather

Feather Member

Just my two cents, but I would do what truly makes you the happiest and holds your interest.
    I have spent years doing what other people thought I would be good at and hated every minute of it.
    If you have your law degree you can always fall back on it, right?
    You know yourself better than anyone, I say go for it. :)

6. jrb1980

Thanks Feather....the thought of leaving though does make me ill

we are talking a pay cut - like 50%

7. Feather

Feather Member

Money doesn't buy happiness though :(

8. Feather

Feather Member

If it did, I would have married a rich guy. :lol: :cool:

9. patience123

patience123 Member

I'm in the process of making a career change in the opposeite direction. My passion is graphic design, but there're just no jobs out there, unless I want to do contract work. So I'm back in school studying business .. borring, but it pays the bills.

I guess you have to look at your financial situation and your life style. If less $, even 50%, won't make you struggle financially, then definitely do what makes you happier. If not, counting every penney is just not a life.

10. PinkGlitter86

PinkGlitter86 i want solutions, not excuses

If you have money saved up...I mean, financial struggle should never be an issue. It's a fact of life, and it's a bitch, but it should never prevent you from doing what you really want to do.

When you're five minutes away from dying, are you going to regret never going after this career path in favor of sticking w/a more secure and financially successful career?

11. stillastudent

stillastudent New Member

Glad to hear another Graphic designer is having a hard time finding work. Not that I'm happy you can't get work, its that I"m having the same problem. I have regular freelance work but can't find a full time job.

Good luck on your schooling! I'm thinking of doing something different too just not sure what.

12. jrb1980

I really want to make the change but I am just so, so, scared. I guess the fear comes from the unknown. I mean, it could flop in my face realistically and also, I don't know anyone in the industry and so there is no body to really hold me hand which is scary.

In terms of $, I would take a huge cut but I would be fine and my SO could carry us easily also so that is nice. He is supportive of the change but cautious. He fears jumping into a business without working under someone first - but part of the draw for me is actually having my own business.

It's just really hard because I can't talk to many people about it because everyone is somehow linked to my current job.

13. Stifler

Stifler Member

It only makes sense to finish the two classes so you can have another degree. It would give you more choices now and in the future. You can never have enough qualifications.

14. sunny

sunny Member

Good luck!
    I feel for you. In a similar situation myself - very disturbed and anxious.
    I feel I can't stay where I am now - or I'll need to get treated for depression.
    According to a friend, 'Going NUTS!'

15. Cara

Cara Uh-oh! I smell redneck!

Like others have said, do what makes you happy.

I was a journalism major and worked (unhappily) as an editor for 6 years. Finally, I decided that I was miserable and needed a change desperately. I had a terrible boss and was really unhappy. Six months later I enrolled in a veterinary technician program and just graduated at the beginning of May.

I know I made the right choice for me because I am so looking forward to work and not dreading it like the plague. If you think a new career will make you happy, go for it! Life is too short!!!

Good luck.

16. absolut_blonde

absolut_blonde Procrastinatrix

Since you are thinking of picking up those last two classes anyway, what about taking some sort of entrepreneurship class with it as well? The ones at my university are great and involve a lot of practical applications. It might help the whole process seem a bit less overwhelming.

17. trueblue

trueblue Banned

yup - years ago I was a Sales and Marketing Assistant trainign to be an account manager and I realised how much I didnt' like it anymore... so quit saw an ad for a receptionist at a fitness centre - took it, it was half the pay but twice the fun and I loved it... ended up having to leave due to too much financial burden at the time... but I'm glad I did it! stepping out of your comfort zone is only scary the moment before you do it... once your there its an easy ride you wish you had done years before... and its no big deal if it doesn't work out.. you just go back to what you know... or move to something else...

good luck :)

18. Feather

Feather Member

Also, ask your local college or unemployment office about a place to get information on starting your own business.
    Our community actually has a free counceling service for this and they will help with just about anything that you have questions about, loans, etc.

From their website (Illinois): This FREE service is offered on a one-to-one confidential basis. Counseling is available for business planning, accounting, legal issues, loan proposals, marketing, advertising and promotions. We will help you avoid the pitfalls and make sense of the complexities of operating your own business.

19. Robben

Robben Well-Known Member

{Just an idea}, You could mix law and nutrition. Come up with a new business that meets a need and then simply fill the need.

Don't let fear stop you...

20. JivaGirl

JivaGirl Well-Known Member

I would do some research and contact others in a similar field, see how they're making a living and what you can learn from them. I've found that having mentors in the same field has helped me tremendously when I'm in doubt because they've been there too.

Good luck!