Depression and possible autoimmune link/thyroid

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Inatic, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Interesting article. many thyroid docs in the practice this way but too many doc's ignore the signs. See link for full read.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/depression/a/autoimmune.htm

2. RpH

RpH I'm actually educated

3. Erik

Erik Admin

Stickied

4. Sportsgirl

Sportsgirl Well-Known Member

Is this new research for thyroid stuff? I only ask because I know for other auto immune diseases it is well documented.

5. Inatic

Di I wouldnt say it's new. Those dr's in the know, understand this but many patients dont have this information and WAY TO MANY dr's dont understand thyroid testing, let alone anything else.

More of a FYI for patients themselves to be aware.

If i take myself personally. Dr's for YEARS tried to give me antidepressants till one dr finally check my antibodies. I have hashimotos but no one picked it up!

:tantrum:

6. Inatic

7. Inatic

Depression treatment: T3 worked better than antidepressesants

more...............
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5629210/depression_treatment_t3_works_better.html?cat=70

8. aspiring sun

aspiring sun New Member

THis just cracks me up. One of the Docs I had to fight when my thyroid worsened to just get more than just a TSH lab done (which had showed my levele doubled) thought i was just find on the medication I was on even though i had WORSENED. then went on to say i need to see a shrink from feeling depressed AND laser hair removal at THEIR hospital, even though its and OBVIOUS sympton of under active thyroid.

Its ridiculous how some of these doctors treat us.

9. IlPirata

IlPirata Well-Known Member

10. Inatic

11. carrob1

carrob1 New Member

Hi Ileen,

You dont mind me asking but have you struggled with thyroid issues. I am new to the site and having a underactive thyroid myself I really struggle to lose weight but just wondering if you have any advice.
    Thank you

12. Inatic

welcome :)

I've had thyroid disease for over 20yrs.. started hyper/graves and then slowly went hypo. I've been medicated hypo since 2003. Took some time to tweak it (sometimes still do) but i've been successful with my goals. Let me know if I can help.

13. Fit and Fab

Fit and Fab New Member

Interesting read. Low cortisol levels can be an additional culprit, in addition to low T3 levels causing psychiatric and psychological disorders.