CrossFit is So Awesome - LOL

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Erik, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Tianagonzalez

Tianagonzalez NEVER GIVE UP!!

i hate "crossfit"

2. jamistar77

jamistar77 Well-Known Member

Would this be a form of crossfit too? BWA!

[video=youtube;dOi7g7NQdAA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dOi7g7NQdAA[/video]

3. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

4. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

:blink::scratch::lol:

5. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

That was an amazing story in that blog....hopefully it will open some ppls eyes...

6. brooket

brooket Active Member

:wtf:

7. 1zach4

1zach4 Member

:grrr:

8. Kris1

Kris1 Member

I actually did Crossfit for a month during my "hiatus" and 3 of the 5 girls in the class were constantly out for back problems. Hmm, I wonder why?? I was like, "why do I want to do something when everyone else is just hurting themselves?" Somethings just wrong with that even though everyone else in the "cult" was loving it.

9. 1zach4

1zach4 Member

The pain, injuries, and constant feeling of being nauseated is how they know they are making progress :funny:

10. Erik

Erik Admin

:lol:

11. Natt

Natt Member

Omg I had to turn it off. Couldn't watch it all!!! Bad bad bad

12. Angel

Angel Member

SMH!!!! That was awful! What's most disturbing is the people in the back telling them "good"

13. Barbj

Barbj Member

Ok, I know this video looks bad and it has been bashed on a triathlon forum as well. But, it's a specific kind of lift with a specific type of bar that spins, hence requiring the grip shift- it cant be power cleaned. It is a very technical lift but if you google it, there are also videos of Olympic lifters doing the exact same lift and everyone in the video is doing it correctly. If I can find the link, I'll post it. I ask you all to keep an open mind about things you haven't tried or researched yet.

14. michele.m

michele.m Member

whoa...that is some crazy stuff.
    kind of unbelievable actually.

15. patti

patti Active Member

@Barbj-- but what exactly would be the point in lifting like that? And the injuries.... OY!

16. 1zach4

1zach4 Member

Some of us have tried Crossfit, and done the research on it.....hence the posting of the video and the comments that followed.

17. shimmeringpearl

shimmeringpearl Member

That s just a lawsuit waiting to happen. If my daughter were being trained that way I would pull her out in a heartbeat! But mine won't be bc I found Erik and Amy :) Hope you are still taking clients in 9 years!

18. Tianagonzalez

Tianagonzalez NEVER GIVE UP!!

agreed.... i can't go for that.... lol

19. Barbj

Barbj Member

I know I wont change any minds on this forum but wanted to post one last reply explaining the lift in question. it's called a continental and an axle bar is being used which is much thicker than a regular bar and doesn't spin at all so more power is needed to lift it. Sure, at first glance, the knee-jerk reaction is “that is dangerous and stupid”. *So let me say that, first of all, Albany CrossFit seems to have a strong, competent coaching staff that knows what they’re doing. *At least one of their coaches has a background in the Continental. *

Now, to address whether or not the Continental is a legitimate/safe lift. *People have been doing this lift for a LONG time. *It is the precursor to the modern day clean. *The clean allows you to move more weight. *But it’s more ballistic on the posterior chain since you can hold the bar with a hook grip and generate far more power. *The part of the Continental that draws criticism is the midway point where the bar rests on the pelvis. *Is it 100% safe? Probably not. *But then, neither is riding a bicycle or running or every pose in yoga. *But I would postulate that it’s about as safe as a clean (when done properly). *It is a complex lift, and without proper training, yes, you are putting yourself at risk. *But at Albany CrossFit, they have coaches that know how to train for that lift. Fyi, the weight being lifted is about 105 for the girls. The purpose of this lift is, I believe, to improve your clean and jerk strength.
    I know it's still going to get mean comments but this lift is not taught at all CF boxes and shouldnt be used to judge what CF is like or what it could do for one's strength. I hope I am still welcome on this forum even though I don't train the same way most of you do...

20. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

That's a rather silly comparison. Yes, there are 'unsafe' things people can do while biking, running, doing yoga, etc. But, with any of these activities, there are also safe/safer approaches. Just as there are safe/safer approaches to lifting (which are clearly not being employed here).

The amount of weight, the 'girls' are throwing around, is beside the point. Whether or not a weight is too much (for any given movement) is relative to the individual person's strength & condition.

And again, there's that form/technique/safety thing regardless of weight.

"mean" comments? :scratch:
    When people post videos online, they open themselves up to criticism. Just because we aren't all high-fiving them and cheering them on (as they're doing for each other in the video) doesn't make us "mean".

I'm sure you're quite welcome.