Contacts (eyes)

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Inatic, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Lots of chit chat in my journal about contacts, solutions , etc, thought i'd share for all since Im currently riding this journey. Darn old eyes! LOL...

I recently decided my eyes need some support/tired of not seeing well. I will NOT wear glasses.. They just dont look good on me, regardless if they are frameless etc..
    Also
    Christopher (our 12yo) much to our surprise needed classes and chose contacts for the majority of the time..

My tail of woe LOL
    My left eye is strong on distance but needs slight astigmatism correction and my RT, is weak in near and far sighting and also is in need of astigmatism correction. after hearing some of the ladies have just one contact (monovision) for reading, askedDoc if that was an option for me since the rt eye is deficit in both.

It was.

So im walking around currently with just ONE contact on the right eye and struggling to adjust. Went back for a recheck and doc is now going to add some correction to the left eye as that vision becomes less clear/focused as I adapt to just the one eye. , more pronounced outside AND wow, worse at night , which was scary driving last night.

Cleaning/soaking solutions:
    We've discuss soaking/cleaning solutions, rinsing solutions and wetting remoisturizing solutions as Christopher and I both found our inital all in one solution, Clear Mist, irritated our eyes but Doc gave me another sample called RevitaLens and that one is much better...

Rinsing agent:

was suggested was 'sensitive eyes'

Rewetting drops:

seems store brands are fine?

feel free to add your suggestions, question, etc..... might help someone else. :)

2. Inatic

Duette™ Multifocal Lens

info on the NEW Duette lenses:
    That new contact lens info: http://hybridcontactlens.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=75

http://www.synergeyes.com/documents/NewsArticleonLaunchofDuetteMF_FINAL.pdf

3. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

Yikes!!

Yes! I don't care what the manufacturers or doctors say; "Multi-purpose" solutions are fine for cleaning, disinfecting, storing lenses but Saline Solution is a must-have, in my opinion, for rinsing the lenses before inserting in the eyes. Contacts are much more comfortable when they're rinsed with a Saline Solution after having been stored in other solutions.

I prefer "Sensitive Eyes" Saline Solution. But any Saline Solution is better than none.

I think so. Same with Saline Solutions. However, the only cleaning/storing solution I like is Clear Care by Ciba Vision.

4. Inatic

Mackie/Angie also mentioned being able to get 'extended' wear out of disposals and by monthlies.

5. mackie

I wear "multifocal" contacts. They're for people who need both distance and reading correction. I used to wear "bifocal" contacts but the "multifocal" seems to be better.

For years, I'd been wearing SofLens (by Baush and Lomb):
    "contact lenses enable you to see well at all distances. The unique Natra-Sight Optics create easy transitions from near to far, and all points in between. The patented edge design provides all day comfort."

But just got a new prescription for PureVision (also by Bausch and Lomb):
    "the first family of silicone hydrogel lenses made of AerGel, a unique material designed to deliver extraordinary comfort and health".

The latter is supposed to be better for your eyes, allowing more air to get through the lenses to the eyes. But, so far, I must say I don't find them to be nearly as comfortable as the SofLens. With the SofLens, I couldn't even feel them in my eyes at all.
    It was as though they weren't even there (aside from the fact that I could see :lol:). But I can feel the PureVision in my eyes. They are also soft lenses but they're made of a firmer substance. They don't hurt but I'm definitely aware of the presence of a foreign object in my eye. And by the end of the evening, my eyes feel tired and and kind of sore.

Thinking about switching back but I'll give them more of a chance first. :shrug: Its only been a week.

6. Inatic

hmmm wonder if Doc can look into these. Do those sit over the eye the way the new DUETTES do.. basically the hard lense domes OVER the eye and doesnt sit on the eye.. just the edge does. The dome is a hard contact and the edge is soft. Hard never touches the eye though..

How were they at night. HUGE issue for me last nite.. I couldnt see!

7. Inatic

i am still very aware there is a contact in my eye and the rt eye seems to be wanting to see distance even though my brain is trying to tell it to read lol.. Im right hand dom. Doc said might be an issue.

8. mackie

Mine are fine at night. As far as a lense touching your eye, I'm not sure what the benefit of that is (perhaps better healthwise?). Because it usually isn't the eye that gets irritated by contacts. Its the insides/edges of the eyelids from rubbing against the lenses. Of course, when the insides of your lids are irritated it can feel like the whole eyeball is.

9. Inatic

do these ever shift on your eye that you cant see? It might be the old bifocal ones that do/did that?

10. Inatic

supposedly the new technology fills with fluid.. from your eye? and corrects the astigmatism?

11. Inatic

12. Inatic

these?
    will ask doc about them
    http://www.bausch.com/en/Our-Produc...matism/SofLens-For-Astigmatism-contact-lenses

13. mackie

No, they sit on your eye.

Nope, none of my soft lenses do that. Neither the mulifocal nor bifocal. Not even my old single-vision soft lenses that I used to wear before I started having reading issues.

oh... interesting...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  14. mackie

15. mackie

That isn't what the doctors or manufacturers recommend. And I have no business suggesting it to anyone else but that is what I do.

I've been wearing disposable lenses for years but I don't dispose of them at the recommended times; be it daily, biweekly, etc. I clean and re-wear them many times before breaking out a new pair. I make a 3 month supply last for several months.

I recall having read several reports, shortly after disposable lenses came out, that the daily and biweekly were made of the same materials as the yearly... particularly the Bausch and Lomb. So I figured there was no point in wasting them by throwing them out. That may have changed by now but I still get as much wear out of each pair as I can. :shrug:

16. Inatic

I appreciate you sharing that. Im sure the dr would cringe if i tell him that lol.. I told Neil, oldest about it and he says that is what he does as well..

Im waiting on a call to let me know when they got another contact tweak to my script cause i am SO asking for the multifocals. My eyes do ok in the house as far as distance/reading with just the one lense but when i get outside and eyes have to re adjust, they are not happy. The 'reading eye' is still fighting to see distance at that point.. Its been at least two weeks trying to adjust...

On the CLEAR CARE, I got some yesterday, along with two bottles of saline (for Chris and myself) but noticed they also have the generic to the CLEAR CARE type product. Are those OK?

17. mackie

:thumb:
    I think doctors get perks from manufacturers for selling as many lenses as possible. Of course they won't like my lense conservation practices. :lol:

Doesn't seem like your eyes should have to work so hard to adjust. I like my prescriptions to help me see right now. :shrug:

Probably fine. I would compare ingredients. I think the main ingredient in Clear Care is some kind of hydrogen peroxide? Can't recall. I'll have to look at mine.

18. Inatic

Im just waiting on them to call on the new contact/s they ordered for me. Im definitely going to 'complain' and ask for the type of lenses you have. The teacher i work with evidently also just got them and she is thus far liking them. She's just now needing reading correction. She threw the box away and doesnt know what brand etc she got.

She also said her hubby uses his contacts much like you've done with yours.

Christopher's glasses came in so i'll be there shortly with him to pick them up and will inquire about mine. Your right in that i should be able to /NEED to see better now, especially at nite! If im going to drive at night again, prior to getting the new adjustments, i so will be NOT driving with these in my eye! EEK!

I tried to read the bottles small print with my reading eye and couldnt see. I was a bit frustrated as i can pretty much read better/smaller print on say the computer and books/mags but not THAT small. can you read the smaller print on bottles like that? Will check again next time im at the store.

For now i have the CLEAR CARE and it came the special cleaning case AND a BIG bottle of AOSEPT https://www.mycibavision.com/education/docs/Aosept.pdf Im assuming this is the 'same' as the CLEAR CARE? Not sure why they were promoting it with the CLEAR CARE?

19. Inatic

further google seems to be the CLEAR CARE and AOSEPT to be the same product. At least what i saw on Amazon.

20. mackie

That's the part I'm not quite buying. The Hydrogen Peroxide (that kills germs, removes deposits, etc) becomes "neutralized" in the same case, once its finished cleaning... and is safe to insert lenses in the eyes directly from the solution without rinsing. Yes, it does lose strength overnight... and it may be "safe" but mine are only comfortable (for hours) when I do rinse with a Saline Solution. There must be a reason for that. :shrug:

Another example:
    You can put Saline Solution directly in the eye (like rewetting drops) without feeling a burn. Not so with Clear Care and other cleaning solutions.
    I once, accidently, rinsed a lense with Clear Care instead of Saline. HOLY COW!!!! [​IMG]Instant burn! It was so painful, I could barely get the lense back out of my eye. And it burned for hours! My eye was red and I wasn't able to wear contacts to work that day at all.

So, nope, even though it "neutralizes" overnight in the case, and it doesn't burn like fresh Clear Care straight from the bottle, I don't want any such product in my eyes. I rinse!