Constructing a full body routine

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by Leah, May 1, 2006.

1. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me, would y'all agree, disagree? I'm also curious, when you guys started training and learning this stuff yourselves, what programs did YOU use? Honestly, I started in high school, with almost no guidance just doing 3x10 on machines after volleyball/tennis practice. No idea what I was doing, but loved it! When I got to college, I took my guidance from Muscle and Fitness Hers and M&F when I got to grad school - I had no idea to look anywhere else. It obviously got me somewhere, though not as far as I could go in the amount of time I was lifting. 3x8 on arm day won't grow a lot after 10 years of this stuff, you know? I wish then I'd known where to look!

What would be some resources to where you would point newbies thirsting for knowledge? I come across them all the time at VS and want to give good direction.

2. jaleena

jaleena Banned

When I started, I knew I was lost, so I got a couple programs from Erik. I haven't done an actual routine pretty much since my first few months, but it was probably the best thing I possibly could have done for learning the basics of balancing movements, and how my body responds. Certainly would have been a nightmare if I'd just started out by turning loose on myself in the gym :lol: And the stuff in the magazines is universally too high-rep for me to tolerate--without the heavy component, there wasn't a chance I'd show up. Plus I wasn't going to do much in the way of machine work--being little, they tend to just piss me off for not adjusting right.
    He also gave me a diet that showed me that I do not, in fact, have IBS, it was just the way of eating I'd picked up from the health gurus that was messing me up :lol:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  3. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

Ok I am confused :confused:

On the very first post it shows this:
    Day 1
    Full Squats
    Flat Bench Press
    RDLs
    Barbell Rows

All done for 3-4x6 w/ 120s rest

Day 2
    Pull Throughs
    Lunges
    Flat Dumbbell Press
    Seated Cable Rows
    Incline Hammer Curls
    Lying Triceps Extensions

All done for 2-3x12 w/ 30s rest

Day 3
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Incline Dumbbell Rows
    Dumbbell Split Squats
    SHELC
    Lat Pulldowns (underhand)

All done for 3x8 w/ 60s rest

Then on the 4th page someone did a quote reply and it says this:
    Day 1
    Full Squats
    Flat Bench Press
    Conventional Deadlifts
    Standing Military Press
    Pull Ups or Lat Pulldowns

All done for 5x6 w/ 120s rest

Day 2
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Lunges
    Flat Dumbbell Press
    Seated Cable Rows
    Incline Hammer Curls
    Lying Triceps Extensions

All done for 2x15 w/ 30s rest

Day 3
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Barbell Rows (underhand)
    Dumbbell Split Squats
    Reverse Lunges
    Standing Dumbbell Press

All done for 3x10 w/ 60s rest

Which one should I be doing? Does it matter? Is one just a slight variation of the other? :scratch:

4. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

The first post is an updated version. Both work just fine. :)

5. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

Awesome thank you :)

6. epona

epona Member

are the barbell rows in this routine upright to work the delts or are they bent rows, or does it matter?

7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

bent.

8. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

SN: It's funny to see posts from when I first joined. Man I was a lost little soul. :sad: :lol:

9. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

How many times do I have to tell you? Nothing has changed since then. :lol:

10. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

:p

11. shimmeringpearl

shimmeringpearl Member

It was a relief for me to see how lost you were bc I am just as lost if not more so! Thanks for keeping it real .

12. Trapezoid

Trapezoid New Member

What does SHELC stand for under day #3 below?

Day 1
    Full Squats
    Flat Bench Press
    RDLs
    Barbell Rows

All done for 3-4x6 w/ 120s rest

Day 2
    Pull Throughs
    Lunges
    Flat Dumbbell Press
    Seated Cable Rows
    Incline Hammer Curls
    Lying Triceps Extensions

All done for 2-3x12 w/ 30s rest

Day 3
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Incline Dumbbell Rows
    Dumbbell Split Squats
    SHELC

All done for 3x8 w/ 60s rest

Then on the 4th page someone did a quote reply and it says this:
    Day 1
    Full Squats
    Flat Bench Press
    Conventional Deadlifts
    Standing Military Press
    Pull Ups or Lat Pulldowns

All done for 5x6 w/ 120s rest

Day 2
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Lunges
    Flat Dumbbell Press
    Seated Cable Rows
    Incline Hammer Curls
    Lying Triceps Extensions

All done for 2x15 w/ 30s rest

Day 3
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Barbell Rows (underhand)
    Dumbbell Split Squats
    Reverse Lunges
    Standing Dumbbell Press

All done for 3x10 w/ 60s rest

13. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

SHELC=Suppine Hip Extension Leg Curl
    [video=youtube;3o2ArSrZklM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o2ArSrZklM[/video]

14. Trapezoid

Trapezoid New Member

Thanks! One more question - is 3 days in a row and then 1 day off?

15. Kelly Davis

Kelly Davis New Member

:blink:Not to throw a wrench in here, but what about a workout for someone who wants to trim down the muscle a bit. I still need fat loss as well. Can you do this together or should I focus on one of these goals at a time? Does anyone have any WO/diet suggestions?:weights2:

16. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Ideally, you would not do a full body routine two days in a row, much less three, though it COULD be done with the way this second rep/set scheme. With 3 day plans, you are generally looking for 1-2 days off in between. Much better recovery.

First question, how can you be sure you need to lose muscle? VERY seldom is that actually the case. Regardless, if you still have fat to lose, I would lose the fat first, because depending on how long you are in a deficit (and how agressive, etc.) you could also lose a little LBM -not much mind you, but some. When you lose the fat, then you can really see what you are dealing with and see if you truly need to lose muscle or not.

BTW, I'm wondering if I know you because your name sounds so familiar and you are from TN - me too! I'm originally from Columbia.

17. Kelly Davis

Kelly Davis New Member

Yes, I'm from Murfreesboro (via Franklin). And to calrify about losing muscle: 4 wks. post show so I know there is fat to be lost. However, 6/2010 I weighed in at 122 (for bodybuilding show). By 11/2010 I weighed in at 137 for a show (very lean). The "supplements" were quite helpful in adding muscle, but I now feel TOO big. I'm 5'3", 45 yrs old, and 149 lbs. I know the scale should not come into play (I'm working on that!!) but have zero desire to compete again. The traditional thinking is high rep/low weight and LOTS of cardio. I'm so over cardio!! LOL Any advice is welcome!

18. *Richelle*

*Richelle* Member

I did day one of this full body routine today. Man did it feel good! I missed lifting heavy :shakeithappy:

I had never done RDL's before, only SDL's, but I liked them. Also, I was really happy to find even though I had been forced into a few months of non training, I jumped back in and I was lifting the same weights I left off with! Hooray!!!

19. musclemax07

musclemax07 New Member

It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.

20. mlschultz

mlschultz Member

So I did my first workout last night. I did the day 1...full squats, bench press, conv deadlift and rows.
    Should I take today off and then workout day 3 and 5.....or should I do cardio or something else on days off? I just got on the wait list but I am trying to learn and prepare as much as I can while I wait!

ps - my goal is fat loss:)
    Thanks!