Coffee

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by jackieleigh, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Erik

Erik Admin

Coffee makes you fat.

2. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

but caffeine is awsome

Changes in caffeine intake and long-term weight change in men and women.Lopez-Garcia E, van Dam RM, Rajpathak S, Willett WC, Manson JE, Hu FB.
    Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Cambridge, MA, USA.

BACKGROUND: The long-term effects of caffeine intake on weight have not been examined prospectively. OBJECTIVE: The objective was to assess the relation between caffeine intake and 12-y weight change. DESIGN: We conducted a prospective study of 18 417 men and 39 740 women, with no chronic diseases at baseline, who were followed from 1986 to 1998. Caffeine intake was assessed repeatedly every 2-4 y. Weight change was calculated as the difference between the self-reported weight in 1986 and in 1998. RESULTS: The participants reported a change in caffeine intake that varied across quintiles, from decreases of 296 and 342 mg/d to increases of 213 and 143 mg/d in men and women, respectively. Age-adjusted models showed a lower mean weight gain in participants who increased their caffeine consumption than in those who decreased their consumption, but the differences between extreme quintiles were small: -0.43 kg (95% CI: -0.17, -0.69) in men and -0.41 kg (95% CI: -0.20, -0.62) in women. After adjustment for potential confounders and baseline and change in total energy intake and other nutrients and foods, the differences remained similar for men and diminished slightly for women (men: -0.43 kg; 95% CI: -0.17, -0.68; women: -0.35; 95% CI: -0.14, -0.56). An increase in coffee and tea consumption was also associated with less weight gain. In men, the association between caffeine intake and weight was stronger in younger participants (P for interaction < 0.001); in women, the association was stronger in those who had a body mass index (in kg/m2) > or = 25, who were less physically active, or who were current smokers (P for interaction < 0.001). CONCLUSION: Increases in caffeine intake may lead to a small reduction in long-term weight gain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leah

Leah Well-Known Member

Holy shit...a smart post by a smart person...there's hope yet...more rep for you :D

4. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

Coffee is teh awsome

Coffee, diabetes, and weight control.Greenberg JA, Boozer CN, Geliebter A.
    Department of Health and Nutrition Sciences, Brooklyn College, City University of New York, New York, NY 11210, USA.

Several prospective epidemiologic studies over the past 4 y concluded that ingestion of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee can reduce the risk of diabetes. This finding is at odds with the results of trials in humans showing that glucose tolerance is reduced shortly after ingestion of caffeine or caffeinated coffee and suggesting that coffee consumption could increase the risk of diabetes. This review discusses epidemiologic and laboratory studies of the effects of coffee and its constituents, with a focus on diabetes risk. Weight loss may be an explanatory factor, because one prospective epidemiologic study found that consumption of coffee was followed by lower diabetes risk but only in participants who had lost weight. A second such study found that both caffeine and coffee intakes were modestly and inversely associated with weight gain. It is possible that caffeine and other constituents of coffee, such as chlorogenic acid and quinides, are involved in causing weight loss. Caffeine and caffeinated coffee have been shown to acutely increase blood pressure and thereby to pose a health threat to persons with cardiovascular disease risk. One short-term study found that ground decaffeinated coffee did not increase blood pressure. Decaffeinated coffee, therefore, may be the type of coffee that can safely help persons decrease diabetes risk. However, the ability of decaffeinated coffee to achieve these effects is based on a limited number of studies, and the underlying biological mechanisms have yet to be elucidated.

5. jackieleigh

jackieleigh is back at it ;)

:blink:

6. abercrombie3f

abercrombie3f Member

how can coffee make you fat??? i've always heard that SOME coffee is great for your health

7. Erik

Erik Admin

It's like eating cake, only it tastes like crap.

8. jackieleigh

To each his own :wink:

9. abercrombie3f

abercrombie3f Member

agree Jackie ;)

10. Tearose

Tearose Focused and On Fire

I drink about 4 reg size cups a day with 3 small T. of splenda in each plus a gallon of water a day

11. Pinky

Pinky MIA

There is no way I could ever give up my coffee. I am a coffee snob, not just anyone's coffee with do, I am very particular. :p

Coffee is my appetite suppressant, my dessert, my reward, my wake up, I heart it so.... :love:

12. Pinky

Pinky MIA

As a matter of fact, I just finished and Extra Large Timmie's, and it is 11:15pm :D

13. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

Coffee is liquid gold

14. Leah

Leah Well-Known Member

:shock:

15. velvet

velvet Senior Member

After that, i'd be wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide awake until 11:15 A.M!

16. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

Off to grab me a hot cup right now (with SF vanilla syrup maybe? ) then head on over to the gym to do my HIIT.

17. demi

demi New Member

:ditto:

• Like Like x 1
  18. jackieleigh

I am having my 3rd and last cup of the day here. Cutting back from 6 to 3 hasnt really made a difference I dont feel, but I did need the 3rd cup today before Hills!! :lol3:

19. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I'm on cup #2 for today. I have about 3 to go :lol:

I'm drinking it w/ a bit of cinnamon :drool:

20. jackieleigh

I actually add cinamon to the gounds before I brew it!