Coffee

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by jackieleigh, Nov 14, 2006.

1. jackieleigh

jackieleigh is back at it ;)

I know alot of people here drink their coffee, I am just wondering if there is a thing as "too much coffee" (especially if you work woth Erik). I find I drink about 4-6 large mugs a day. I don't put anything in it so there are no added calories in it. Thoughts?

2. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

There was some big debate a while back about caffeine negatively affecting insulin resistance.... I think. Anyone?

3. ashleyk

ashleyk Member

I drink about the same as you. I managed to get lean while doing it....not that I'm lean now but that wasnt the question....lol

4. Ana

Ana Think back...Move forward

4-6 lg mugs? :shock: that seems like an awful lot!
    I have 1-2 cups a day. I'm with you jackieliegh, nothing in it just black.
    Sorry I got nothing of help to offer.

5. Leah

Leah Well-Known Member

how does anyone get their water in when they're drinking 6 cups of coffee a day :uhuh:

6. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

I drink 2 gallons of water per day and drink between 4-6 cups per day myself.I start drinking water the minute my feet hit the floor and don't stop until I go to bed..I usually get up at least 2x per night.

7. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I carry around a huge jug of water that nicely compliments my bodybuffer pants and fanny pack.

8. mcv

mcv Blissfully Maintaining

Erik has never specifically told me to limit coffee or diet soda - I am not comp prepping or anything though.

9. amyloo

amyloo Member

Me too...I like to call it 2 cups of coffee per day, but let's get real. They are large travel coffee mugs that are the equivalent of 2 cups EACH! :shock:
    Add that to my 6-8 liters per day of water, plus diet coke and sometimes some crystal light. :wavesad:

10. Rafferty

Rafferty Member

Why wouldn't coffee count toward water intake?

11. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

:lol3:

12. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

probably with the 6 cups of water people are drinking to dilute their coffee

:funny:

13. jmadog

jmadog New Member

i have cut out caffeine for the past 3 weeks and have never felt better. I used to have 2 cups in the morning and another usually starbucks at around 4pm. At first I had headaches for about two days, but now that I am off caffeine i don't get that drop in energy late in the day that i used to. i have more energy and feel better. how does having 6 cups of coffee make you feel? If you feel fine than i don't see a problem with it otherwise i would recomend going off it for a while and see how you feel.

14. Strive2Define

Strive2Define Banned

This is when I have the 4-6 cup of coffee.:lol3:

15. jaleena

jaleena Banned

I have no problems with drinking coffee, sometimes in large amounts (I drink it when I'm bored/tired/aggravated/anxious/etc at work). I usually have a couple cups Sunday morning, but otherwise, none on the weekend, and no withdrawal problems. I see no benefit in quitting.

16. absolut_blonde

absolut_blonde Procrastinatrix

I drink 1-2 cups a day. 1 cup in the morning, always, and then another cup of coffee or green tea later on in the day.

Any more than that, and I get unpleasant side-effects-- shakiness, nausea, nervousness, etc.

As far as I know, most studies show that moderate coffee intake (2-3 cups a day) is fine and may even be beneficial. I think it's been shown to be negatively correlated with Alzheimer's, for one. 6 cups a day would be way too much for me, personally (too much coffee just makes me FEEL unhealthy, if that makes sense) but I don't know if there are any specific drawbacks associated with higher intake.

17. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

b/c it acts as a diuretic

18. dolce

dolce Member

one cup in the morning, and one in the afternoon before the gym
    also get 5 liters of water in:morning:

19. jackieleigh

jackieleigh is back at it ;)

Well on top of my coffee I am still drinking 5+ liters of water a day. Maybe I will slowly try to cut back, but I am not willing to give it up!! I just love my coffee! It keeps me warm, keeps me from eating, and keeps my energy up

20. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

Coffee is not a diuretic per se,

caffeine may be, but its effects are hugely over rated.

Fluid, electrolyte, and renal indices of hydration during 11 days of controlled caffeine consumption.Armstrong LE, Pumerantz AC, Roti MW, Judelson DA, Watson G, Dias JC, Sokmen B, Casa DJ, Maresh CM, Lieberman H, Kellogg M.
    University of Connecticut, Human Performance Laboratory, Storrs, CT 06269, USA.

This investigation determined if 3 levels of controlled caffeine consumption affected fluid-electrolyte balance and renal function differently. Healthy males (mean +/- standard deviation; age, 21.6 +/- 3.3 y) consumed 3 mg caffeine . kg(-1) . d(-1). on days 1 to 6 (equilibration phase). On days 7 to 11 (treatment phase), subjects consumed either 0 mg (C0; placebo; n= 20), 3 mg (C3; n = 20), or 6 mg (C6; n = 19) caffeine . kg(-1) . d(-1) in capsules, with no other dietary caffeine intake. The following variables were unaffected (P > 0.05) by different caffeine doses on days 1, 3, 6, 9, and 11 and were within normal clinical ranges: body mass, urine osmolality, urine specific gravity, urine color, 24-h urine volume, 24-h Na+ and K+ excretion, 24-h creatinine, blood urea nitrogen, serum Na+ and K+, serum osmolality, hematocrit, and total plasma protein. Therefore, C0, C3, and C6 exhibited no evidence of hypohydration. These findings question the widely accepted notion that caffeine consumption acts chronically as a diuretic.

and whether caffeine is a diuretic or not, your still drinking large quantities of fluid with every cup, so its not as though you have to ignore all of this volume in your fluid intake.

• Like Like x 1