Coffee and Effects on B.F. Loss

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by EmilytheStrange, May 2, 2006.

1. EmilytheStrange

EmilytheStrange Member

I was reading on another site that consumption of coffee (caffeine really) can slow down fat loss. It stated that it could possibly increase insulin resistance while slowing down your metabolism. Has anyone found this to be true? I've just recently started drinking coffee (at least 20 oz. cup/day) and I also take an EC stack in the a.m. before my workout. Is this too much caffeine?

Thanks in advance!

2. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

People respond diffently to caffeine. I've had no problems w/ large amounts and fat loss. I can have it up til I go to bed and still get to sleep. The energy that comes w/ it helps my w/o intensity, also.

3. Blondell

Could you please post a link to the site?

4. Amy

Amy Guest

I can not say whether that is true or not - but I can say that over the past 16 weeks that I have been preparing for a show, I have drank about 2-4 big mugs of coffee/day - and through propper diet and effective training, I have lost 13 lbs.

Could I have lost more/saved muscle had I forgone the coffee? Who knows - but that is one sacrifice I am not willing to make, and I am happy with the results.

5. EmilytheStrange

EmilytheStrange Member

It was just a random thread that came up when I did a search:

Coffee

6. Blondell

It is a question that was placed on another forum. It is just someone telling their personal experience. :)

7. EmilytheStrange

EmilytheStrange Member

I know. :) But I am currently dieting and just started drinking coffee. Just wondering if there could be any truth behind this. That's all. ;)

8. Blondell

If you are concerned, stop drinking it. No one will know if it has that effect on you until you stop drinking it. It doesn't do that to me, personally. :)

9. Brandi

Brandi old school

I drink coffee with my EC. :eek: :lol:

10. EmilytheStrange

EmilytheStrange Member

:eek: :eek: :lol:

11. Blondell

So do I. I need all the help I can get energy-wise. :D

12. LUVPINK222

LUVPINK222 Well-Known Member

What's EC?!

13. EmilytheStrange

EmilytheStrange Member

Ephedrine + Caffeine

14. DeeLovely79

DeeLovely79 Member

I had did some searching on O2 and John Beradi's site and while the evidence is not clear caffeine is supposed to give you a quick metabolic boost and it is beneficial an hour or so pre-workout for a boost of energy. At the same time it does increase insulin resistance.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/supple...on/caffeine.htm

15. collegegirl

collegegirl Member

I heard that caffeine actually helps with fat loss. I heard you should take it before you do cardio. Don't know if it's true or not. I use it for energy.

16. Brandi

Brandi old school

It makes me a lot less bitchy when I take it. Heh.

17. EmilytheStrange

EmilytheStrange Member

Wow, thanks for the link! I had completely forgotten about this site. I read some of the article and will have to read the rest later when I get a chance.

18. andi

andi anyone selling sleep?

mmm I love coffee! :love: that is all.

19. EmilytheStrange

EmilytheStrange Member

Me too..especially since I discovered chocolate raspberry flavored coffee at my local java joint ::insert drooling emoticon here::

20. Erik

Erik Admin

Caffeine's typically involved in the EC stack obviously and does I believe cause an increase in FFA use during exercise but from a real world standpoint, I don't believe there's a good body of research to show that caffeine consumption causes significant weight loss. There's the diuretic effect it has as well.

And I'm not sure if it's effects on insulin resistance are similar b/w fat and muscle tissue, as is the case with alpha lipoic acid, but insulin resistance in fat tissue is a good thing; not so much in muscle tissue obviously.

Ideally we'd have high insulin sensitivity in muscle and high insulin resistance in fat.