Cocktails on the weekend

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by MikeHankins, Nov 15, 2012.

1. MikeHankins

MikeHankins Member

Now that I have a plan designed by MMT, I have every tool need to succeed. I am working hard to get every meal & every workout in. I currently don't have a re-feed meal on my plan. Every plan I have been on I always had a day that I could splurge or a night to have cocktails with the wife. To be honest I really miss that option. I have no convictions when it comes to having a few cocktails after a long week. Not nightly but once a week or so if I have a night off I would like to have the option! When I was on the "Body for Life" program I had an entire a day that I would splurge and have cocktails at night. Lower my carbs the next day and I still managed to lean out just fine. Any thoughts? Anyone else have the freedom in there plan for a few cocktails on a weekend night? And if so, has anyone actually seen a difference in progress? I love the meal plan. Dont care for pizza and so on. Just a night of cocktails with the wife? To much to ask?

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

I doubt anyone has the freedom in their plans for cocktails. Choose to have it and deviate, accept what (lack) of progress you get with it... You've got to want more of one than the other. Which is it?

body for life was really low calls all week. One can easily erase ones deficit that way too. Perhaps you can ask to work in a fm but you'd be sacrificing important nutrients while eating in a deficit. Not really in the best of ones health/interest.

3. MikeHankins

MikeHankins Member

Yeah, BFL is really low cal meals. So I know that with the plan Im on it wont balance out. You know, even if it was once a month it would be worth having some time to relax with my wife. 3 kids and daily stress... A man just needs a beer ever so often! A six pack of Budweiser Select 55s is only 330 calories. I think that Im on a 7000cal a week deficit. So 28,000cal a month or so... -330cal cant do that much to my over all deficit I wouldnt think. I think I'll run that by Amy. See what here thoughts are.

4. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

I put alcohol in a completely different category. I don't consider it a cheat. Alcohol is metabolized in our body like fat. The body treats alcohol like fat. Using an enzyme (known as alcohol dehydrogenase), the liver converts the metabolic by-products of alcohol into fatty acids.
    This wouldn't be all that bad if we were to have 1/2 ounce or so since the liver can metabolize about that much. Any more than that, and its 'back-logged' as fats.
    It also slows down the mitochondria (our fat burning machine) while consuming alcohol.

So with that being said, yes, I have clients that have had a glass of wine on occasion. But to implement it in as just a 'number' or calorie amount? No. If you are to have one on occasion, you need to accept that it will slow progress.

And furthermore, you want to get away from the 'numbers' game. Fat loss doesn't happen that way. Sure, 3500 calories equal a pound. But I can assure you, there are plenty of people that have deficits within the numbers that just don't add up. (Watch an episode of Biggest Loser where they claim these 15,000 calorie week deficits, yet no loss on the scale)
    Over time, you want to get away from numbers and just focus on executing the plan.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MikeHankins

MikeHankins Member

Well I cant argue with that. You know, my wife is very supportive in all I do. But sometimes its difficult to say sorry cant go out to eat or sorry I cant have a drink with you. The food calculator makes going out to eat easier I will admit, however it seems the biggest sacrifice isnt big, its all the small things that add up. Those little habits, or even BLTs. Like licking the PB off the spoon after your scale reads the # you need.(which I give mine to the kids) But the little things all together that make the process more than a 12weeks sprint but rather a life style. Children need boundaries, they want boundaries That doesn't change as we become adults.. As much as something may sound good at the time, I never regret staying on plan. Thanks for the response. The best part about have you as a coach is, you do not simply say "No" you explain why not, or the consequences to a decision and let people make that choice. Its a very good way of teaching your athletes. Having all the information is very important before making a decision. My past coaches never would explain things like that. Or they didnt know. Thanks for taking the time to help me understand action/reaction. In the end, I think that my wife will be proud that I didnt deviate or give in.

6. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

I had to print out what you said Amy so I can give it to a friend of mine. She's put on a significant amount of wt. over the summer and she consumes a significant amount of alcohol. I've told her many times that's why she was gaining so much wt. She had cut back over the last couple of weeks and she's noticing more energy, not so groggy, (duh) and lost a few pounds already. Just want to back up what I've been telling her! Thanks for the info!

7. brooket

brooket Active Member

Alcohol also clouds your judgement. As in, "I will just eat one chicken wing with this beer."

8. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

Yes!!! One chicken wing turns into the whole friggin chicken!!! :blink:

9. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Cocktails rock...even during the week. :lol3:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

If I have a few sips of wine twice a yr I'm good lol. No interest

11. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

:ditto:

12. RoWo

RoWo New Member

Amy,
    Thank you for the clarification. I am going to start my plan hopefully this week and that was one question I had. A quote I will always keep in my mind is " Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" and that includes wine and cocktails! Thanks again!

13. Amy

:nod:

:thumb:

14. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

""You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Blondell again""" :lol:

15. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

:lol:

16. Amy

:lol3:

17. KC2012

KC2012 Member

Mike,

I have been with Amy for almost 1 year. As a mom of 2 kids a someone who travels quite a bit for work I will tell you - you can eat out and its really not that hard. Part of that comes down to your restaurant choice and just asking for meal modifications. I have never had a restaurant tell me no. Common requests for me are cooked with no oil or butter, steamed veggies, dressing on the side. I never leave home without my pocket scale.

Its great your wife is supportive - that makes a huge difference IMO. For me this is a lifestyle and my family eats what I eat- I might make an extra side for everyone with dinner but thats it.. Tonight we are having mahi mahi and stir fry veggeis for dinner. Since I have no carbs tonight I will serve the family rice too. Granted we do not eat out often - I love to cook.

Sticking to your plan gets easier over time. If you follow it you will see results.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MelanieT

MelanieT New Member

I like this Quote !! " Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"

19. RoWo

RoWo New Member

:wink: I saw that years ago and loved it!! I try to keep it in my mind at all times!

20. deedeey

deedeey Member

I drink wine nightly.. About 8 oz ( yes I measure) it does not impede my progress. I enjoy it, and it helps me wind down. I'm 40, a mom to 3, and look more like 20 something. I'm not looking to compete, so for me..I'm all good with my wine. People tell me all the time how great I look, I have gotten as far as I have on my own.