Cardio?

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by MissyG, Aug 19, 2014.

1. MissyG

MissyG Member

Total newbie here & new to the LBC program. I personally like to be educated on what I am doing and why. I am being hit from all sides about lack of cardio in what I am doing. They say "yeah you may end up being fit and have muscles, but you wont be able to run to the end of the block if someone is chasing you. Big waste." I have no response to this because I am not educated on the WHY and how it plays into overall body health. I've done a search but haven't come up with an answer. :unsure:

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

what kind of cardio are they talking about?

and what the heck is wrong with them. seriously! If that was me, find another gym just for peace of my mind.

3. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm doing a hill workout and a sprint workout every week because I'm leaning out. But prior, I was on no cardio at all. I had no problems running and did great with my fitness test for work.

4. Inatic

and...

Im curious, what do they think you should be doing as far as cardio?

5. MissyG

MissyG Member

The conversation started last week about what I am doing and why. I like good in depth conversation, so I have been letting him speak thus far. He says if he were my coach he would have me doing cardio 2-3 times a week. Not just running, but something SS. He keeps asking if my goal is to be a body builder...... I linked him to Eric's SS cardio escalade vs. civic blog post and asked for his thoughts on that. His response:

So. I have no rebuttal for this because I don't yet understand WHY I do not need to do cardio 3 times a week for heart health or endurance.

6. MissyG

MissyG Member

So prior you were no cardio at all and past a PT test at work just fine? Excellent. Thank you!

7. MissyG

MissyG Member

He his curious as to amount wise. That 30 mins once a week isn't enough. I've mentioned my current goal is to lean out without loosing muscle, and that I don't want to be "skinny fat". He says I could achieve my goals much quicker adding 2-3 days of cardio. I HATE feeling stupid and not understanding or being able to articulate why I choose to do something.

8. OneMadMonkey

I'm not saying you will be able to run a marathon of course, but you will be just fine. Every year, I have to pass a physical fitness test or I lose my job. I have to run 2 1/2 miles, do sit ups, pull-ups, push-ups, climb an 8' wall, push and pull a car 3x and drag an 180 lb dummy out of a car and across a line. We have to do this in less than 30 mins. (There's a few other exercises too, but those are the big ones). I was doing ZERO cardio when I last took my test in December. I finished in 22:40. Ask your trainer how that happened when I hadn't done a single minute of cardio since April 2012.

9. Inatic

You teach people how to treat you. Its time to lay down the law about what you will and will not allow as comments directed towards your or your goals.

I suppose it should be done fasted too? LOL

Fat loss isnt a race and the function of cardio isnt to speed up fat loss. Diet is responsible for fat loss. Cardio is an adjunt to it. Not everyone needs 2-3 cardio sessions.
    some of our reasoning is here http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/cardio-and-intervals-for-fat-loss/
    and here
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/ss-cardio-efficiency-and-the-escalade-vs-the-civic/

but they are so closed minded, you're wasting your breathe.

10. MissyG

MissyG Member

So basically, I don't have to do cardio because I just don't need to to achieve my goals? Fat loss comes from nutrition, not being a cardio bunny. And with short metabolic interval training, I receive all the cardio my heart and body needs?

11. Inatic

no, right now we're using diet and seeing where that takes us.

Lift heavy and see what that does to your heart..

You have one ab core circuit and you do Taekwondo. Some people need more, some less. You can't qualify everyone in that needs 2-3. Many clients get totally ripped on one session with diet. Lighter clients might need to do more because there is less leway with calories. What happens when you start someone out with an automatic to or three and then need to add more....... you have have someone doing hours of cardio a week and what lowering cals too low and doing more cardio... see what im getting at.... and what the articles are getting at.

12. MissyG

MissyG Member

:hearts:
    Thank you coach :love: :love0011: :hearts:

13. Inatic

:hug: I hope that helps.

I know it's hard when you have all these voices saying one thing when you are doing something new and new at it as well. Where were they with all their free advice before you signed on with LBC? NOW they want to help?

Just focus on what you are doing. Maybe they will be open to learning something new too.

14. Emma

Emma Member

Purely anecdotal evidence based on my own experience here.....

Lifting will help you hold on to CV fitness if you came from a good base. Prior to lifting I was an endurance athlete, I had 8 years of running and cycling behind me, several half marathons, a full marathon and even a couple of 100km events.

Injury and burn out forced me to take a rest and I started lifting weights. I wear a heart rate monitor when I lift and let me tell you, it still gets up there, especially on leg day.

After 2 years of lifting and very little running I can tell you this

My resting heart rate is the same as it was when I ran regularly, it's in the mid 50s
    My blood pressure is as good as it ever was, it's on the low side of normal, nothing to worry about at all
    I can still run if I want to. I probably shouldn't say this because Coach Illeen might yell at me but I'll make my confession to prove my point for you ;-) About 5 weeks ago I ran 6km at the behest of a friend who was desperate the day before a relay, one of her runners dropped out and she needed someone to round out a team. So, with no training behind me what so ever and having not run regularly for about 2 years I laced up and ran the 6km. While it was no where near my best and I may have dry retched a little at the end I still managed a pretty decent pace of just over 5 minutes per kilometer.

So there you go, steady state cardio is not the holy grail of cardiovascular fitness, weight training will also do the job. Sure it's not going to help you run a marathon but you don't want to do that anyway.

And Coach, I promise I won't go running any spontaneous 6km races again in a hurry, I couldn't walk right for a week after :pimpslap:

Also - stuff everyone else, you do your thing, you are not accountable to anyone but yourself and your coach.

15. MissyG

MissyG Member

Wow!! Thank you for rating yourself out to coach for me. You ladies are super helpful. :love55:

16. OneMadMonkey

My husband lifts only about 2-3 days a week and eats like crap. He's one of those genetic freaks who can do that at 43 and still have a 6 pack. Anyway, every year he runs the Gasparilla Half Marathon with ZERO training. It can be done.

17. Inatic

Its all good Emma. No worries.
    Thank you for your contribution.

18. SheSalt

SheSalt New Member

I know personally, I'm pretty spent after my work outs. I put 110% into it 4 days a week, unless I'm pampering an injury, and I'm certainly winded and my heart is going after a good working set. Again, no, it's not training for a marathon, but if that is not YOUR goal then you should try and lean out with as little cardio as possible. I'm a LBC client and just came off my leaning stage a few weeks back and actually had continued losses (just happen to be my particular case), more vascularity and more pump at the gym with my new, more food and 0 cardio sessions maintenance phase. On another note, I just switched to a "real" gym. I left my chain, commercial gym for one that was privately owned and where people actually WANT progress and SEE progress. Totally different attitude, aspect and most importantly atmosphere (the energy is crazy motivating!!)! And there's hardly ever anybody pounding away on cardio equipment ;) At the commercial gym I had people all day telling me what THEY thought I should do….. all I had to do was just glance them up and down…. yup, clearly their methods weren't working!

19. SherriW

SherriW New Member

Regarding disagreeing with Eric....ask him if HE has a book of clients' before/after pics OR how many winning fitness competitors HE has coached. The proof is in the pudding! If he still wants to continue to say Eric and his crew don't know what they're doing, ask him if he's ever heard of Dr. Doug McGuff, author of "Body by Science". If he's not familiar with THAT book, don't even talk to him about fitness anymore. Dr. McGuff says pretty much the opposite of what that guy says! He says the word "cardio" came from Dr. Cooper, who penned it back in the 80s (he started the Cooper Institute in Dallas), and even Dr. Cooper NOW says McGuff is right....without skeletal muscle work, there is NO cardio (or heart) work. This is a brief summary of what he says:

"Skeletal muscle is “the forgotten pump” in cardiac output. The reason that skeletal muscle is so integral to cardiac function is because of Frank Starling’s Law of the Heart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank–Starling_law_of_the_heart). Starling’s Law states that cardiac output is directly proportional to the volume of blood that is returned to the heart. If a larger volume of blood is returned to the right side of the heart, the ventricle is stretched and the cardiac myocytes are in turn stretched, which causes them to contract more forcefully. Well, guess what the major determinant of venous return to the right heart is? You got it…skeletal muscle mass and how hard it is working at any given time. Through this mechanism, cardiac output can auto-regulate on an almost purely mechanical basis. So when a large mass of skeletal muscle is working really hard, a large volume of venous blood is massaged and milked back toward the heart, which in turn automatically provides an increased cardiac output to fuel the very muscles that are providing the needed venous return."

You are clearly on the right track with LBC! Just go into the gym, do your LBC training, and let him see the results!!!

20. OneMadMonkey

I had to laugh when you brought up The Cooper Institute. Our office sent my husband there to get trained to teach new recruits. Every time my husband and I disagree about something fitness related, he reminds me he's Cooper certified.