CARDIO - Just need to vent and ask a question?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Amy1984, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

I have been with LBC for 8 weeks and so far I LOVE IT-- the support, the meal plan, the flexibility, the variety, the workouts, the why's and clarity to all my questions-- becoming a LBC Client is the best decision I've ever made.
    Now before LBC I was a runner. Not a natural runner, but rather started running in 2009 for the first time and shortly after started running half-marathons and marathons. I lifted too, but I'll be the first to admit I was a cardio junkie! I loved it! Yep that's right, I loved cardio! I loved dripping sweat, feeling my heart race, and the feeling I felt after convincing myself I was "skinnier" after each 45 minute cardio session (running or stairs).

Now my plan has me doing no cardio. Logically, I understand the reasoning behind it. I've read all the related articles and posts on days when I need to remind myself that my body DOES NOT NEED cardio to reach my goals. I know the program works and I believe in it. I have mostly good days but a few bad days sneak in when I just miss it and I so badly want to go for a run or sweat it out on the stairs. I haven't deviated once and broken down and done cardio, though there have been days (like today) where that's all I want to do! And I'm pretty sure this vent-session is probably a result of my weekend in Vegas where I ate off plan for a few days so now I'm feeling a little blah.

I've read a lot of posts from clients who hate cardio and don't miss it at all...But does anyone out there miss cardio like me? And if so, now that you aren't doing cardio the way you use to back in your cardio-bunny days do you feel better about your body? The same? Worse? What changes have you noticed?

It's only been 8 weeks for me without cardio (I ran my last half-marathon like 10 weeks ago or so) so I would love to hear from someone who once loved and depended on cardio too but now no longer uses cardio to reach their goals.

Thanks guys!

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

I have a few clients that miss their cardio. If and when we need to add it I will consider adding some running type cardio if condusive to their goals. YOu can let your coach (which one? ) know that if its an option, can you have that. May or may not be an option for you.

3. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Hi Ileen! Unless there is more than one Ileen with LBC that is super knowledgeable than you are my coach :) Lol. Guess you wouldn't have known that from my name Amy1984. Amy Eissler. Maybe there is more than one Ileen? I don't know I just always assumed that was you.
    I don't necessarily miss running so much as I miss doing cardio. When I'm at the gym and I see the girls come down, dripping sweat, from their cardio session I have to admit I get a little jealous (;
    I don't want to change plan and I WILL NOT give in to my temptation, I just wanted to know if there were others out there who missed it too and how they have over come being cardio-junkies and where they are at today.

4. Inatic

Amy! There is only one Ileen with LBC. Me LOL! No i wouldnt know it was you unless you told me your screen name.

There is more than one way to get your sweat on.. doesnt have to be on a treadmill. Ask clients who have ab core ;)

5. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

I know you are right and I'm starting to really enjoy the sweat-on I get from lifting, especially on leg day :)
    Looking forward to ab core someday (; (maybe) haha

6. Emma

Emma Member

I hear you Amy

But when I think about it what I miss was when I was running well. Every now and then I'll think about that one great tempo run, or the time I ran my 5km PB or a long run that just flowed and felt amazing. These were rare moments though, there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to those few amazing runs. I used to enjoy trail running so now, instead of that I'll go out to my favourite trails on the weekend and do a bit of bushwalking instead.

Before I started with LBC I'd cut out most of my running apart from a couple of HIIT sessions a week, I do miss those and maybe I might get them in my program at some stage. If I do I'll consider myself lucky that it's something I enjoy and not some horrible session to be endured.

7. aad2h

aad2h New Member

Hi there!

I am a CWT client and a former cardio junkie. Before CWT, at times I was doing up to 300 minutes of cardio a week... a lot of spin classes, kickboxing, running, interval type stuff like Jillian Michaels DVDs, etc. I have NO idea how I was able to find/make the time to do it. I work full time and am in graduate school! Anyway, I got my first CWT program which consisted of minimal cardio (2 times per week). It just didn't feel right to do so little and I "cheated" a couple times and added some in, esp on the times where I had indulged with my diet. It did not help and if anything it kept me from seeing any results, or at least knowing if the lack of results was from my adding in extra or from my not complying with my diet. Fast forward to now and I have NO cardio on my plan, but I think that I am really making improvements in my body. I haven't gained any weight despite several weekend vacas over the summer. Sometimes I do crave that skinny look I sometimes had from all the cardio and get bummed that the results are slow and steady- not immediate like a cardio session "feels", but now I think I look better- less cellulite, things are firmer, etc. It is such a mental shift and I sometimes really want to just burn some calories! But I was pretty much just spinning my wheels (literally) because my body never changed other than yo-yo'ing in weight. Hang in there- it will pay off!

8. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Hi aad2h! Thank you so much for reply to my thread. It's comforting to know there are others out there who feel/have felt the same way I do. It's inspiring and encouraging to know that you stuck with your program and that now you think you look better and have made that mental shift. It is hard to make that mental shift. Though I've always loved lifting I have never been convinced I'm changing my body unless I put in 45 minutes of cardio...at least. It's like the sweat and soaked t-shirt equal fat loss. To be honest I'm shocked that I've lasted this long without cheating; though on a few occasions I have taken the stairs to my office (20th floor) rather than the elevator and not because the elevators were broken, but because I over indulged on diet and thought it would make me feel better. What blows my mind is that I have seen progress without any cardio at all! Goes to show it's all about diet. I know that if I stick with it the results will come, I think I get discouraged when I cheat/over indulge and can't "make-up for it" by spending hours doing cardio the next day. When my diet is on point 100% I actually don't miss cardio at all :)

9. NicoleC

NicoleC New Member

Hi Amy,
    I must admit I miss jogging, I used to go for 10-12k runs on a Sunday and some short runs before work during the week. I misss the headphones on - world out - pound the pavement meditation, it kept my stress at bay, although as soon as i lift heavy i feel the stress release too but being outside in fresh air and i live directly opposite a lake, gorgeous to run around.

But this has been on my mind a lot, like I am most of the time 95% compliant to my plan, except on the weekend when maybe every second weekend occaisionaly I will have a few drinks with friends and perhaps eat out, not eat poorly but maybe have some bread and dips etc

I wonder and i hope I can get some input from a coach here if it is ok to just throw in some cardio once or twice a week. I am not punishing myself for what i ate, im just living and being social with friends. I dont have any comps coming up so is this ok?

Also I enjoy jogging / stair climbing, prior to being a LBC client I was entering stair climbing comps so it would be a shame to give these away.

10. Inatic

there is no reason you cant be active outside without making deliberate 'pound the pavement'.

If you enjoy a run once in a while go for it but realize that you dont want to HAVE to do it or depend on it. Given you do compete or spend time focusing on fat loss you dont want that adaptation unless endurance running/training is part of what you do (racing, etc) so you'd focus on that. You could increase calories to compensate.

11. kebam

kebam New Member

I am a cardio junky! I LOVE TO RUN! I love the marathon distance the best. RUN, RUN, RUN!! I have just started LBC 1 1/2 weeks ago and I get to run on one day for 5 miles. Praise the LORD for that 5 miles!! I do understand that could change according to my Coach's directions. Right now.....I really look forward to that 5 mile run! The ironic thing about me signing up with LBC is that I felt I was chasing the more muscular look I was trying to achieve by all the cardio. Isn't that what they call INSANITY? Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different outcomes! I feel a wee bit like a slug without all the cardio but absolutely determined to adhere to the rules of this program. I know there are many of us cardio junkies out there. Just have to change that crazy mindset!

12. Streeth

Streeth New Member

I used to be a cardio junky also, and used it as a way of making me feel better if my diet hadn't been on plan that day or the previous day. I would spend hours in the gym or in classes each week and got to the point where I felt 'bad' if I hadn't done xx hours of cardio a week. Before becoming a CWT client, I started to wean myself off cardio and to start with it's really hard mentally, but with time you'll adjust and the mindset of using cardio to fix going off plan starts to change and its a really good feeling when you get there. To choose to do some cardio - because you love/want to versus feeling you should do, or feeling 'bad' if you don't do it. Now there's no stress if I can't train or get my cardio in one week - no guilt or trying to make up for it he next week - it really does free you from the chains of that cardio mindset. try to keep going as per your plan and you'll be amazed at how it helps you mentally and how your feelings to cardio really do change in a positive way.

13. runnerstilskin

runnerstilskin Member

I don't consider myself a cardio junky and I don't run because I eat bad. I enjoy running and the mental distress it gives me. I will go for a long run on the weekend and if I have time, I'll do cardio over the week, whether it is an interval, hills or whatever. My goal in life is to be able to do things. So if someone asks me to lift a 50 lb box, I can easily do it. Or if someone says, let's run, I can. I do it because it makes me feel good. And I won't stop.