Carbohydrate Cycling for Fatloss by Erik

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by Inatic, May 25, 2012.

1. Candicestrawson

Candicestrawson New Member

This seems much better...I calculated the PRO in kg body weight instead of lbs and if I just multiplied it by 2.2 it would have given me the higher number...geesh a person can go crazy trying to figure all this out!! Thanks so much for the help, appreciated.

2. Steve

Steve Whatever

If you're seeing this Erik, thanks for the information. Oh, and hi Ileen! :)

Shot Erik an email yesterday before seeing this post and this definitely answered at least part of my question.

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Hi Steve!!!!!
    good to see you! :)

4. jodeenicks

jodeenicks New Member

I love LBC and this article is one of the many reasons why! I may never be able to be part of the team but I will follow you guys every step of my journey to a buff bod!!

5. jodeenicks

jodeenicks New Member

I do have one quick question. I work out pretty early in the morning so should I still go high on my heavy day?

6. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say: I've been carb cycling and LOVE it! Nice to still get to eat some treats, but see the scale go down!

7. srayko

srayko New Member

I had GREAT initial success with carb cycling but have definitely hit a plateau. My week typically went Low, Low, Med., High, repeat. Any suggestions? Mix up the pattern? up the amount in my high days? (I wasn't going near as high as suggested). I'm a female in contest prep mode, hovering around 12% bf. Calories are very low at this point (1100-1200). Thanks.

8. Cassandra

Cassandra New Member

Hi there,

I am wondering.... If I'm following a "bulking" plan should I drop my carbs down and increase my fat intake on my off training days? I like to eat the majority of my carbs around my workout ...

9. Inatic

you could lower them a bit on off days but not too low.

10. Cassandra

Cassandra New Member

Hey, I am a total newbie to this and have started an odd approach that seems to be working great for me. Any feedback as to how I could tweak this to become better would be great! On my training days I have Med-High Carb days with very low fat and on my off days I have Low-Med Carbs with high fat. Do you think I should throw in a Refeed/High Carb day in there and if so, do it on my hardest workout day? Thanks!

11. Inatic

You're following fat loss or building.

12. Shirlthompson81

Shirlthompson81 New Member

Alway great info

13. SherriW

SherriW New Member

Great article on carb cycling!! I'm coming off 5.5 months of strict ketogenic eating...under 20 g/carbs/day. I ate around 70% fat, so no problems maintaining that way of eating. It was great for maintenance, and I didn't gain an ounce of bf, but I didn't lose any either, so I'm moving on. I will definitely be carb cycling since I get bloated with starchy carbs. My question is, after having so much fat in my diet while in ketosis, I'm not sure what macros to shoot for now (plus all that "fat-free" food is soooo processed!). I'm 5'3", 122 lbs, around 25% bf, and carry my weight mostly in lower body. I'd like to get down to around 15-18% bf. I think that will hit the "look" I'm shooting for. Right now, my calories are set at 1400.

So....any input as to what my macros should be for heavy weight workout days? If I can get that right, I can adjust the fat/carbs depending on my activity level for the day. Thanks so much!!

14. Inatic

given you havent eaten starchy carbs in a long while, i suggest you start incorporating them in. Going so long without eating certain food groups you might have bloating and digestive issues because you were SO restrictive.

15. chickadee1020

chickadee1020 Member

I agree. I was also very restrictive with carbs for a long time and so I definitely felt bloated when I started packing in all these carbs into my diet. It has gotten better this past week, but I still get somewhat bloated after some of my meals. Definitely start working them in. Also, do NOT fear these carbs. I was pretty terrified when I got my first plan. I've just submitted my first biweekly after eating a TON more carbs than I was used to and, even though I'm eating for maintenance, I lost a tiny bit of weight and lost a 1/4 - 1/2 inch here and there in my waist, navel, thighs, hips, and chest!

16. SherriW

SherriW New Member

Chickadee, what are your current macros and what are your workouts like generally (i.e., splits during the week). I'm thinking if I'm working out like I should be, the carbs won't be an issue, but "like I should be" is a guess right now. This next week I'm starting Mon:heavy upper; Tues:light lower and abs; Wed: off; Thurs:light upper; Fri:heavy lower and abs; Sat:cardio; Sun: off. Also, do you cycle carbs....less on your off or light days? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  17. chickadee1020

chickadee1020 Member

I'm working out 4 days/week, weights only and workouts are only ~ 60 mins. No carb cycling, but plan varies slightly by on and off days. I'm not sure of what my exact macros are because my coach does all of that and I haven't popped it in to a food calculator yet. But I eat 5 meals a day and 3-4/5 include a big amount of carbs (lots of brown rice, potatoes, quinoa, oatmeal, etc.).

I used to eat little to no carbs. Maybe a small oatmeal or brown rice at one meal but that was about it, along with some veggies. And I was working out at least 5 days a week for 2 hours a day, cardio at least 3 days/week and I just kept gaining weight.

18. Inatic

clients pay for that information. Not really appropriate to ask that.

There are so many ways to do it. Put carbs in there and just get used to eating them.
    Have you seen this link on our blog:
    How to set up a fat loss diet:
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/how-to-create-a-fat-loss-diet/

also on the main page if you enter email you get the Top 10 fat loss report. equally full of information.

those two reports should give you a lot of information.
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/

19. SherriW

SherriW New Member

Thanks so much for the info, Chickadee! (Per Ilene's feedback, I'm so sorry if I offended with my question. I'm not sure how to tell if someone is a client or not! lol. I figured you'd do what you did and just offer the info you're comfortable offering.) Thanks so much for the feedback!

I didn't gain any weight with keto, but sure didn't lose any either. It appeared to be an awesome maintenance tool for me....but that wasn't what I was searching for. I'm still very leery of carbs like rice, :shrug: but I'll try and jump in and see how it goes. Thanks again!!

Ileen, I have been devouring the blog and articles, so I have seen those you mentioned, but I will definitely reread them and see what I can glean this time. Awesome info there available to all. Thank you so much for the response and the links!!