Calorie Counting APP?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Shannaks, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Shannaks

Shannaks This seat's taken

Hi all

I was trying to search for a thread on this first but for some reason the search function isn't working. Weird. So any way I have an iphone and was looking for any info on a good app for tracking meals ( cals, fats, carbs, proteins, ya know) and am wondering if anyone knows of a good free one ( cause I'm cheap lol) or if the paid ones are more worth it. I know Livestrong has one and I am guessing that the account can link from the computer to the app just trying to see if anyone has any suggestions. Or if there is a website that's better to use than an app. Either would work. Thanks!

Shanna

2. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

I use a calorie counter that syncs up with fatsecret.com.

I really like it.

And it's free! (I'm cheap too!).

3. Phoenix17

Phoenix17 Member

MyNetDiary is also free but there's also an upgraded paid version. It tracks your calories, breaks it down to the fat/carb/protein %, tracks how much water you drink, calculates your exercise into it, and the best part is it uses the barcode scanner so you can just use the camera to add the item and all its info, which most everything I have tried, is on file. There is a website too but I have not even looked at it, since I use my phone all the time and have it with me all the time.

4. lcmiller461

lcmiller461 Member

I have one
    From livestrong. Great app and syncs with site. Haven't found a food yet it doesn't list, even some obscure brands.

5. Shannaks

Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate the info!!

6. salisem

salisem Member

I've been using My Fitness Pal. It was fine till I started working with Erik - there's not a lot of foods in their database that are measured in grams.

7. serious.girl

serious.girl New Member

FitDay Mobile is a great app, and it's free. It also lets you input custom foods if you can't find something on the list, or want to use a recipe you created.

8. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

This will probably fall on deaf ears, but personally, I think low-tech is a better way to go here. Especially if you're just starting out. Just keep a small notebook and a pencil handy and record what you're eating, then do the math to figure out what you need to know.

I find that doing it manually makes more of an impression on the person doing it, and you learn much more quickly and with better comprehension how what you're putting in your mouth affects your calorie/protein/etc. numbers.

9. Shannaks

I would - except my time is really limited with having two small little ones to chase around all day aaaannnddd I SUCK at math. :laugh: so at this point in time I would rather use a calorie counting program. But thanks!!

10. daleebd

daleebd New Member

SparkPeople has a free app - their database is amazing and you can fill in your own information. I think you can do grams as easy as ounces. Worth checking anyway.

11. Original Kloe®

Original Kloe® *sizzle*

Daily Burn/ Food Scanner is the best. You just scan the barcode on your food (ie: protein powder, packaged items) and it automatically pulls up the macros. For non-packaged foods, just search for it ('apple' or whatever) and add it. In a nano-second you get your up-to-date totals of everything you've eaten that day, and you can set nutrition goals and stuff. You can add foods as your favorites too, so you have your daily eats easy to find.

It's HIGHLY user friendly.

12. jml

jml New Member

SparkPeople is a great app!

13. TEACHK

TEACHK Well-Known Member

think the app i have on my ipod touch is called Lose It...it has a pretty comprehensive calorie counter and way to record food easily enough. I like it, and you don't have to have internet access to use it - it was either free or very cheap.
    i also like fitday but use that on reg computer

14. laurawd

laurawd Well-Known Member

Does anyone recommend an app for tracking workout progress (sets/reps/)? I'd rather have mine all saved on the computer. I end up losing sheets of paper from previous workouts, and would love to create a log.

15. TEACHK

TEACHK Well-Known Member

there are so many out there, ifitness isn't bad...takes time to enter workout initially but easy enough to use

16. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Came across this one. Havent tried it on the phone but the computer one is neat!

http://www.cronometer.com/ I see they do have an android app but not sure about the iphone .

17. Inatic

wow
    this breaks down your proteins (aminio acids), carbs , lipids (amazing break), vitamins and minerals.

18. Inatic

is available for iphone /ipad thru itunes and android not free 2.99.
    The computer version is free.

19. *Richelle*

*Richelle* Member

I have always used MyNetDiary for food tracking and love it. As for workouts, I use a notebook and it stays in my gym bag. No loose pages and never forgotten.

20. brooket

brooket Active Member

I looked into a few apps. They were sort of confusing and hard to set up on my phone. I just ordered Myofusion from Bodybuilder.com and they sent me a free log, I love it! Small spiral, maybe they sell them, unless you need to order, it may be a promo?